What's new

The Big Sleep (1946) heading to blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
We've been waiting for this one a long time, haven't we?

However, there are several other titles released in Europe that have yet to be released in NoAm: Double Indemnity, Touch of Evil...

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
This is all but guaranteed to be givent a North American release around the same date I, given that WB very rarely allows European blu-ray exclusives. Definitely looking forward to it.
Matt Hough said:
I wonder if we'll get both versions in high def?
Very good question. Unfortunately it seems WB's prior track record leaves very little optimism for both versions getting HD treatment. Even Alfred HItchcock's Strangers on a Train preview version got left as an SD port. I figure the Bacall version will be getting the HD treatment while the original post-production version without Bacall will be getting an SD port. I'd love to be proven wrong here.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
JoHud said:
This is all but guaranteed to be givent a North American release around the same date I, given that WB very rarely allows European blu-ray exclusives. Definitely looking forward to it.

Very good question. Unfortunately it seems WB's prior track record leaves very little optimism for both versions getting HD treatment. Even Alfred HItchcock's Strangers on a Train preview version got left as an SD port. I figure the Bacall version will be getting the HD treatment while the original post-production version without Bacall will be getting an SD port. I'd love to be proven wrong here.
That's what I assumed would happen, too, but I'll continue to hope until the announcement is made.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Dick said:
Yes, KEY LARGO and TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT. Those would satisfy my Bogart needs.
Ditto. I have Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon. Key Largo, To Have And Have Not and The Big Sleep will keep me satisfied for a while.
But there are always more..........

I'm sure I read a year or two ago that To Have And Have Not was being worked on for release on Blu.
Anyone aware of any info on this one?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Since Warners is distributing some Paramount films, how about a Blu-ray of Bogie's The Desperate Hours, a movie I love. The DVD looks good, but I'd love it in high definition. It's a VistaVision release, so that might mean it'd look spectacular with the proper work done beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks