Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Where to have our Media Room

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   sidburyjr

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts
  • LocationMount Pleasant, SC

Posted October 07 2013 - 07:13 AM

media room.

[I inadvertently posted this before finishing the topic and I cannot figure out how to cancel the post or modify the topic]

We just bought a house whose former owners left in not quite peak condition.  So, I will be painting a bunch of rooms before we move in.  My wife asked me what color we should paint the walls in our "media" room.  We haven't yet decided which room to make our media room --

a "family" room extended from the kitchen with a fireplace and windows on the south wall but no objectionable sunlight since there's a screened porch outside one window and shrubbery outside the other.  The TV would have to be on the west side of the room. The floor of the family room part is carpeted.  The kitchen floor is wood. The wall behind the TV is a blah gray which does not inspire either my wife or me.

The following pictures were taken when we were looking at the house before making an offer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

the former living room with window on the north wall opening on the (short) front porch.  The east  side of the room is all wall and would accommodate our TV (60" plasma), front speakers, equipment cabinet and probably some other stuff.  The opposite wall would accommodate a couch or chairs but the stairs to the second floor are behind it and are visible for about 7 or 8 feet so there is limited room for stuff that sticks up high. The south wall of the room has the entrance to the dining room with two wall area of approximately 33" on either side and an entrance to the dining room of 6 or 7 feet. The north wall has windows facing the front of the house but would accommodate something that is two to three feet high. On the west wall beside the stairs is an opening to the entrance hall and the front door. The floor is wood. The walls are green

Posted Image

Posted Image

The family room is bigger but we were considering making it into a library since it would more easily accommodate our massive book collection (and it's convenient to the living room so I could keep several shelves of DVDs and Blu-Rays along with my various movie books).

So the questions are: what color should the wall behind the TV be AND which room should I choose?

Edited by sidburyjr, October 07 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,735 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 07 2013 - 08:01 AM

I'd leave the large room as the library.

Any dark robust color works. Like a deep red. Or chocolate brown. Slate colors(beige, grey or tan) should never be used.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Bobofbone

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted October 10 2013 - 04:37 PM

While this isn't an answer to your question, I have a suggestion to consider. Have you thought of making the library the medial room. While this isn't something I've seen, the idea has some merit. Walls lined with book shelves would provide an irregular surface, that would tend to break up the wave front of sound, and decrease any echo. They would also tend to absorb sound and may have a secondary effect of decreasing sound transmission to the rest of the house. While having a movie going on in reduced light might be distracting to someone trying to read, if this isn't a problem, the idea might be worth considering.

In any event, out of all the home theaters I've seen, I haven't seen one like this. It would be unique, in its own way.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   DavidJ

• 2,933 posts

Posted October 10 2013 - 08:19 PM

That's an interesting idea. 

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 34,729 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 10 2013 - 08:54 PM

Dick:  I have added "Media Room" to the title of your thread.

Is there anything else I can do?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Faithfully Yours -- the new book by Peggy Frezon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users