What's new

1975-1985 Short-Lived Dramas (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Just as a memory-jogging exercise, why don't we mention some one year (or shorter) one year dramas that ran on ABC, CBS, or NBC during the pre-VCR years?Today's FBIStrike ForceManhunter (with pre White Shadow Ken Berry )Masquerade (with Kirstie Allie and Greg Eviagan)Bring Em Back Alive (pre Scarecrow and Mrs. King Bruce Boxleitner and Cindy Morgan)I don't think any of them are WB produced.More later,James

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Chopper One

Firehouse

Three For The Road

Doc Elliott

Spensor's Pilots (I hear this is available in Germany so there is some hope).

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
One reason I loved Masquerade was that it had a great theme song sung by Crystal Gayle. I do feel that so many of these shows are so much better than what's being produced today.How about the tv series version of Seven Brides and Seven Brothers. Great theme song, music by jimmy Webb, and starring a young Richard Dean Anderson, Drake Hogynston, and River Phoenix.James

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Firehouse" was another show with James Drury and aired around 1974 or so I think.

I think any show that debuted in Fall 1976 onward technically does fall into the "VCR era" because that's when Betamax machines started to be available on a wider basis and is also when we have our first major spate of home recordings available in the hobby.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Jack P said:
"Firehouse" was another show with James Drury and aired around 1974 or so I think.

I think any show that debuted in Fall 1976 onward technically does fall into the "VCR era" because that's when Betamax machines started to be available on a wider basis and is also when we have our first major spate of home recordings available in the hobby.
I would call the 78-79 season the beginning of the "VCR years," because that was around the time VCR's became somewhat affordable for the average consumer.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
JamesSmith said:
Just as a memory-jogging exercise, why don't we mention some one year (or shorter) one year dramas that ran on ABC, CBS, or NBC during the pre-VCR years?Today's FBIStrike ForceManhunter (with pre White Shadow Ken Berry )Masquerade (with Kirstie Allie and Greg Eviagan)Bring Em Back Alive (pre Scarecrow and Mrs. King Bruce Boxleitner and Cindy Morgan)I don't think any of them are WB produced.More later,James
For Manhunter I think you meant Ken Howard not Ken Berry.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Accuracy would dictate when VCR's were first commercially available in the traditional format which is why 1976 is really the benchmark year. Sports, game shows and TV shows that are "lost" by today's standards could theoretically have been preserved by the people watching at home in ways not possible before that.

Not a single season drama, but "Crazy Like A Fox" (1984-1986) is the one 80s show on my most wished for list to have on DVD. I also remember watching every week "Lottery" (1983-1984) on ABC (an updated version of "The Millionaire" only with the premise of a lottery agent and his sidekick from the IRS going across the country to hand out million dollar checks to people with winning tickets and we watch the impact in their lives).

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Jack P said:
Accuracy would dictate when VCR's were first commercially available in the traditional format which is why 1976 is really the benchmark year. Sports, game shows and TV shows that are "lost" by today's standards could theoretically have been preserved by the people watching at home in ways not possible before that.

Not a single season drama, but "Crazy Like A Fox" (1984-1986) is the one 80s show on my most wished for list to have on DVD. I also remember watching every week "Lottery" (1983-1984) on ABC (an updated version of "The Millionaire" only with the premise of a lottery agent and his sidekick from the IRS going across the country to hand out million dollar checks to people with winning tickets and we watch the impact in their lives).
I loved watching that one as a kid. Haven't thought about it in ages!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I feel lucky to have just five episodes from off-air recordings. The show was literally sabotaged by CBS who took it out of a Sunday night spot after "Murder She Wrote" where it had good ratings and then they dumped it opposite "Dynasty". Goodbye after that!

There were two sets of producers on the show and I'm not at all clear who owns the rights to it.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I would love to see Crazy Like a Fox out on DVD. Fun show and great performances. I believe Sony owns the rights, so it is probably a question of them stepping up their MOD program if we are ever going to see this series.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Cliffhangers!

I really hope some outfit licenses this series from Universal/NBC and release the complete series on DVD.

Darby

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
How about the three or four episode, "Detective in The House " starring Judd Hirsch from 1985? James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Just remembered Supertrain. Quite a few wanted that show out on DVD.Silly, but had a great tv theme.james

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks