Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Carmen Jones (1954) Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,273 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 10:09 PM

carmenjonesblu.jpg

Please Note: As we get closer to release date, FoxConnect will be offering an exclusive discount for HTF members on these Fox Classics.  It is their way of saying thank you for participating in the Vote Your Choice campaign.  There will be discounts on individual and grouped discs.  The discounts should exceed Amazon prices.  We encourage you to preorder from Amazon so that you may cancel that preorder should you prefer the FoxConnect discount.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

• Everett Stallings likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted October 06 2013 - 03:05 PM

I hope to get this one. The discount sounds cool!

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,003 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted October 09 2013 - 07:53 PM

It's great to hear the young Marilyn Horne as the 'Carmen' in this version, fresh from Juilliard School, before she made the move from soprano to mezzo. I think the only actor doing her own singing in this was Pearl Bailey!

It's a great movie, one of Oscar Hammerstein II's greatest achievements .. and of course, pretty good work from Bizet too...

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,463 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 10 2013 - 04:22 AM

No, Olga James did her own singing in the film, too.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,003 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted October 11 2013 - 06:06 PM

I stand corrected. Her Cindy Lou was really excellent.

I saw this movie first when I was 12 or 13 .. it has stuck in my brain ever since and although I've seen 'Carmen' in the opera house a score of times, this reworking still seems the 'real thing' to me every time I hear it!

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,844 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted October 12 2013 - 12:00 AM

Marilyn Horne was also one of the chorus singers in the film of "The King and I".  She participated in the 'Small House of Uncle Thomas' sequence.  It is quite possibly Ms Horne during the "praise to Buddha" lyric as the snow starts falling. 

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users