What's new

I want simplicity in my receiver (1 Viewer)

reddot556

Auditioning
Real Name
mark
I am currently running a Denon AVR1612 that i will not be taking with me on my move to Washington. My son in law has dibs on it..I will be building my hometheatre from the ground up and i want a simple to operate reciever that costs under $750.00..Since i am building from the ground up should I go with the 5.1 or the 7.1 ?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
90% of all receivers priced anywhere near $750 will be 7.1 so they made that decision for you.

I've always found Denon receivers very difficult to setup and operate (my brother has a 1610).

For simplicity I recommend Marantz. The 6005 (hurry! Last one!) refurbished receiver from ac4l.com is $499 (3 and 5 year extended warranties are $35 and $50) is an excellent receiver. I had one and only sold it for the more powerfull 7005. Very easy to use. the 5005 is only $399. Both of these are from a couple of years ago.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR6005/MARANTZ-SR6005-110w-X-7ch-3-D-Home-Theater-Surround-Receiver/1.html

But if you need a more current avr they also have the 6008 for $599 as well as a few others.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/AVReceiver/Home-Audio/Home-Theater-Receivers/1.html?brand=Marantz

Don't worry about buying a refurbished receiver. I've had 3-4 of them and they all looked and worked as good as new.

Make sure they have the features you need but if the 1612 did then any of these will as well.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I always find Onkyo/Integra easiest to use, with Yamaha(advanced GUI, which is what you'll find at your budget) a close 2Nd.You are even going to find refurb/clearance 9.1 AVR at $750.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Actually, just about any brand will be easier to use then a Denon IMO (apologies to all Denon owners).

Integr's are also very easy to use but I like the Marantz remotes a little better and Integra's are harder to find.

$750 can buy a lot of receiver with a refurb or closeout. But a higher end avr will probably be a little more confusing to navigate through all the features.

My guess is a $499 or less refurb will be all he really needs and that extended warranty is cheaper. The money saved could go towards better speakers/subwoofer.

I do miss my Integra 70.2 though. Should have kept that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks