Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Raise The Titanic (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Shout Factory

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,606 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 09:31 PM

raise.jpeg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted October 03 2013 - 09:43 PM

Must have been the multiple times it was on a The Movie Channel in my formative years, but this has always been a fun watch for me. Looking forward to this on blu-ray.

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted October 03 2013 - 10:44 PM

I hope they do it justice. One of John Barry's greatest scores.

Pre-ordered.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Malcolm Bmoor

Malcolm Bmoor

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted October 04 2013 - 12:18 AM

Despite its reputation as a far from marvellous picture I'll buy the new issue to compensate for the free-with-newspaper copy I saw a couple of years ago:  4:3, strange faded colours and mediocre sound. One view & then in the bin.

But it will be interesting to see it properly and admire the magnificent surfacing sequence, and remember that it wasn't until Mr Ballard's dives in the 90s that Titanic's split sections were discovered.

Malcolm Blackmoor

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 04 2013 - 11:20 AM

I remember this one from way back in the early VHS days. I'll pick it up.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,409 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 04 2013 - 11:47 AM

But it will be interesting to see it properly and admire the magnificent surfacing sequence, and remember that it wasn't until Mr Ballard's dives in the 90s that Titanic's split sections were discovered.

Darn that reality!  Why's it always interfering with the movies.   :) I have never seen this movie, I'll have to think about it.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   John Stockton

John Stockton

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 10:48 PM

This never got a proper DVD release so I am delighted it is coming to BD. I hope the transfer is decent. Looking forward to it.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,166 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 12:10 AM

I ordered it even as I have mixed feelings about this film.    As an adaptation of Clive Cussler's greatest novel, and which made Dirk Pitt a signature character of popular fiction, the film is a total disaster, capturing none of the suspense/action/tension that made the novel and Cussler's Pitt novels special.      They also disgracefully tacked on an underlying dose of 1970s moral equivalence doctrine regarding the Cold War struggle that is nowhere to be found in *any* of Cussler's novels (I'll put it this way; the end of the novel results in a different course of action being taken in the graveyard as opposed to the film.    You can guess what I mean there).     It's easy to understand why Cussler vowed after this that none of his novels would ever be sold to Hollywood again (though of course he would change his mind and come to regret that a quarter century later, but that's another story).

Despite this trashing of a great novel, I still have to admit as a Titanic buff who first read Cussler's novel because I was a Titanic buff, the movie still is special because of the magnificent for their time special effects that depicts something that in 1980, five years before the discovery of the wreck, we could still have fanciful dreams of, of seeing the Titanic found intact, raised and brought to New York to complete the maiden voyage.    In 1985 when the wreck was found broken in two, those dreams which were never realistic to begin with, ended forever, but the film at least lets us keep reliving that dream.     And John Barry's score is outstanding.    It's his best non-007 score altogether IMO.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,409 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 05 2013 - 10:06 AM

the film is a total disaster, capturing none of the suspense/action/tension that made the novel and Cussler's Pitt novels special. 

I vaguely remember a review of the film when it was released.  The reviewer said the only time the film was any good was during the actual raising of the Titanic.  

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 10:33 AM

I have the movie on VHS and do not think I want to spend the money.  The best part is the end of the movie and the John Barry score.  I believe that score may be out on cd.  Being a Dark Shadows fan I thought David Selby was quite good in the film.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted October 05 2013 - 11:05 AM

As is Richard Jordan. I enjoy this film.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,166 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 11:49 AM

A rerecording of the score was done for CD about 15 years because unfortunately the original film tracks have disappeared.

There was a prologue of the sinking filmed for the movie that got cut from the final version, but the F/X sequence of that was used in the 1982 Titanic themed episode of the TV series "Voyagers" which is on DVD.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted October 05 2013 - 12:24 PM

A rerecording of the score was done for CD about 15 years because unfortunately the original film tracks have disappeared.

Does this imply that the source Shout Factory is using will not be in the original Dolby stereo?

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 444 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 12:30 PM

This was shown in London in 70mm Dolby Stereo and the sound was the best thing about it.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 07:50 PM

This book was the first I read by Clive Cussler back in the late 70's, and it made me an avid fan. I've read dozens over the years, and I have eight of his books now waiting to be read. This movie doesn't do the book justice to be sure, but there's something about it that keeps me from changing the channel on the rare occasion it's broadcast. I'll wait for reviews before I order it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shout Factory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users