What's new

IDC predicts PS4 Expected to Outsell Xbox One This Holiday (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
A new connected game and entertainment console forecast from International Data Corporation (IDC) concludes that the number of game console bundles shipped worldwide in 2013 will be marginally higher than the 2012 total of approximately 33 million bundles, ending a four-year slide that began in 2009. The forecast also suggests that the PS4 will edge out the Xbox One this holiday season due to a variety of factors, most notably the PS4's lower price point.

Anyone getting a PS4 over a XBox One solely for the price point?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm planning on getting a PS4 based on a variety of factors, price included. MS is trying to justify the price because of Kinect and non-gaming features, but Sony's PS4 Eye camera is only $60 (Kinect is "effectively" $100) and nobody seems to be going crazy over the non-gaming stuff.

Also, MS is saying that the XB1 has the best launch lineup for a console EVER but has only a handful of exclusives and something like 23 games. The PS4 will have over 30 before Christmas and more of those are exclusive. In terms of software, Sony has a better lineup.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Morgan Jolley said:
I'm planning on getting a PS4 based on a variety of factors, price included. MS is trying to justify the price because of Kinect and non-gaming features, but Sony's PS4 Eye camera is only $60 (Kinect is "effectively" $100) and nobody seems to be going crazy over the non-gaming stuff.Also, MS is saying that the XB1 has the best launch lineup for a console EVER but has only a handful of exclusives and something like 23 games. The PS4 will have over 30 before Christmas and more of those are exclusive. In terms of software, Sony has a better lineup.
I couldn't agree more. I will be getting a ps4 too, but probably not until mid next year. I have a ps3 and none of the titles that i want are ps4 only. They are releasing for the ps3 as well as the ps4.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Only when Kingdom Hearts III comes out will I even be remotely interested in PS4.
Sony has not successfully persuaded me to my satisfaction that the new PS will now Only Do MORE Everything, compared to my 3D Blu-ray player/streaming box.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Type A - what do you mean? Personally, I think XBL is not worth the money while PS+ is absolutely worth the money. I don't play any multiplayer games on either platform but willfully pay for PS+ because it gives me something more than access to Netflix/HBOGo and...umm....well that's pretty much it, really.

Ejanss - KH3 is going to take a long time, probably like 2015/2016 at the earliest. There's really nothing else that interests you on either platform?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Think, to understand my feelings on this, have to put it into the grand historical context--
My first game console (if you don't count a cheap Odyssey-clone Pong game back when they were popular) was a Sega Genesis that I'd won for coming in second in a college tournament. I'd looked jealously at Nintendos for years, but free was better. (And it had Sonic.) As timing would have it, I was ushered into the gaming community just in time to see the Sega CD, so I splurged on the new add-on (back when it was the size of a small VCR, not the the little clip-on disk drive), and saw how the Cartridge was about to become extinct, with the onset of CD-quality music, full video and more elaborate RPG's. Unfortunately, that all got lost in the 3DO/CDI shuffle, and was forgotten...But I was there to see history change to a small silver disk.

By the time the PS1 came out, I'd already decided to pass on the Sega Saturn (the ads had finally gotten too obnoxious)--Me, I was too cheap to buy new hardware, so I just sprung for that iMac PS1 emulator disk while it was still available, because I was determined to see this Final Fantasy VII thing from the TV ads. Friends, it was worth it. I'd played the other SNES-style FF V-VI, and the cinematic plot and photorealistic backgrounds was...something new.
PS2? Skipped it. No emulator, wasn't interested. (And passed on the Sega Dreamcast, as most by now were giving the dear old company up for dead.) Although I had heard that the core gamers were now obsessed with watching those "DVD" movies on their consoles--And good thing too, since nobody else wanted them, and everyone knew there weren't enough techie home-theater laserdisk nuts for Sony to make back their investment. :lol:

When I bought my PS3, it was right in the throes of the Red-vs.-Blue wars--And all we heard about was how long it would take your X-Box to flash red and die.
HD-DVD was considered the more "respectable" in that Warner was putting out classic movies, and Sony was trying to woo their core gamer crowd again with more action movies. But I figured I'd have to take sides sooner or later, Toshiba was acting like Hitler from the YouTube video, and, learning that they were ultimately behind it all, I knew You Could Never Trust Microsoft. So I rushed down on the day the 60G PS3-slash-Blu-player was being phased out, hoping for a bargain.
And while Kingdom Hearts II and Lego Star Wars consisted of most of my early PS3 playing--while waiting for a Blu-ray to come out that wasn't an action speaker-buster or Will Ferrell comedy--it was also a pleasant surprise to later get streaming Netflix and 3DTV capability added to my machine for free. Like I'd said seventeen years earlier, Free Is Better.

So anyway, um: PS4. More disk slots, more online-gaming, and better graphics....That's the list? Did I miss anything? I must have, because every other time I've ever bought a console, it changed our culture as we know it.
Every other PS tried to make a new form of TV standard, and when 4 was announced, we wondered what the future-shock change would be: "They're going 4K?" "They're finally eliminating hard-disk gaming??"
Nope, it's just, um.....better. And could someone tell an old Forrest-Gump-of-gaming-history like me why "better" is supposed to cut it?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Ejanss - I think you missed a LOT of stuff regarding the PS4. However, you seem to be totally uninterested in anything besides a handful of RPGs and using a console as a media center. Am I wrong on that? And I have no idea what "more disk slots" refers to for the PS4 since it only has 1 disc slot.

The main draw of any gaming platform is the games, above all else. Sony has a strong history of first party and exclusive games (God of War, Resistance, Uncharted, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, inFamous, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.) and I am confident that they will deliver something great on the PS4. The hardware itself is powerful, something the Xbox One can also claim to be, but I have a PS Vita and the way the PS4 and PS Vita can connect and interact with each other is a HUGE plus. The PS4 also will have PlayStation Plus, which on PS3/Vita gives you up to like 18 free games at any given time (there's a lot of specifics, but if you keep an active $50/year subscription then you keep those games).

Anything else about the console, like the controller or 4K output or what it looks like, is superficial and unimportant. I don't think Sony is trying to push 3D, 4K, or anything else this generation.

shan1269 - I think the 3DO was killed by high cost and way better competition.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Morgan Jolley said:
Ejanss - I think you missed a LOT of stuff regarding the PS4. However, you seem to be totally uninterested in anything besides a handful of RPGs and using a console as a media center. Am I wrong on that? And I have no idea what "more disk slots" refers to for the PS4 since it only has 1 disc slot.
(Eh, shows what I know--I was still on news of the "Orbis" which reportedly had 3. And weren't they at an angle, or am I thinking of something else?)

And yeah, I'm not the Call of Duty type, I prefer my games to have plots. (Especially Ratchet & Clank :) , but a little God of War and Uncharted's not bad now and then.) Final Fantasy XII and XIII's didn't impress me by going "More is better!", when the games finally turned into elephantine epics that essentially baffled the player and played themselves; the appeal of having some say in the strategy that I'd enjoyed in the "limited" gameplay of PS2's FF X/X-2 was now gone forever, now that I was supposed to be wowed by how "much" my new machine could do.

As for Playstation Plus...wow, we don't have THAT! :P
Most of Sony's ideas for PS4 revolve around making the game console more integrated into the online community, basically chaining the user to the PSNetwork, including the rumors that used games would be blocked out, without their Network licenses.
It's bringing up the old DiVX fears deep in my nature--I'm against any new tech system that doesn't allow independence for the user to use his content without the company's consent.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
schan1269 said:
Hey I remember that 3DO. It had decent games.

What killed it?
$700 price tag in 1990's dollars and not even today's consoles are that expensive. Plus their pockets weren't as deep as Sony. It is amazing how successful you can be when you first sell a console at half the cost of production.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Ejanss said:
Most of Sony's ideas for PS4 revolve around making the game console more integrated into the online community, basically chaining the user to the PSNetwork, including the rumors that used games would be blocked out, without their Network licenses.
It's bringing up the old DiVX fears deep in my nature--I'm against any new tech system that doesn't allow independence for the user to use his content without the company's consent.
Um. . .did you miss the whole XBone reveal and Sony's gloriously snarky response? :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I personally could not care less which system sells best in it's first 3 months of availability. Even if I were not getting both I'd say that early adopters experiences are not a clear indicator of:
-staying power
-developer's long term ability to wring the best out of a system
-the long term prospects for system evolution

Heck I don't even think it's going to be fair to compare the graphical capabilities of the two based on first round releases.

But that's just me, have fun with petty fan boy back and forth...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Graphically, they'll be extremely close. Multiplatform games will be identical because of either contractual issues, budget limitations, or lack of reason to optimize for one over the other. I think what it boils down to is the exclusives, which personally puts Sony way ahead.

Ejanss - there are no DRM issues except for games that you download from their online store. But this is the same with the 360, Xbox One, Wii, Wii U, PS3, and even Steam on PC. As for physical disc DRM, the issues you're thinking of were for the Xbox One (and those policies have been reversed so that the XB1 and PS4 are the same now).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
I personally could not care less which system sells best in it's first 3 months of availability. Even if I were not getting both I'd say that early adopters experiences are not a clear indicator of:
-staying power
-developer's long term ability to wring the best out of a system
-the long term prospects for system evolution

Heck I don't even think it's going to be fair to compare the graphical capabilities of the two based on first round releases.

But that's just me, have fun with petty fan boy back and forth...
Not everyone can afford to buy both systems back to back at launch. A lot of people have to make a choice. In this round, as with the last gen, I've decided to go with the PS4 first. Partly I'm buying it first, because it is cheaper to start; however, I'm also buying it because I bought a PS Vita and I wanted the capability to sync to both the PS3 and the PS4. MS does not have a portable gaming solution and I don't like playing the types of games that are being made for phones and pads.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That seems very reasonable Edwin, it sounds like you have carefully evaluated the choices and your personal budget and come up with what works for you best. Thumbs up to that! I think its fine for ANYONE to justify why they buy one, both or neither and I salute them for having made a choice. And I get that the emotional tribalism that results from making that choice can be powerful.

But ultimately I don't believe that the decisions made in the first few minutes of the game are indicative of long term results.

Given what we know now, I think both will have long, healthy lives and at the end of them will look nearly nothing like they do (hardware, software and services combined) like they do today. ZMS: We'll see!

SmartCat85

Auditioning
Real Name
Rony Brige
I think the one that could save Xbox One is its exclusive games. Wondering what'll happen if Microsoft gets the license to release Uncharted series to Xbox One. I believe Microsoft will win the war, maybe not this year, but maybe at the time when the next gen Xbox and PlayStation (after Xbox One and PS4) roll out.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
MS won't get the rights to Uncharted ever. Sony was the publisher on all 4 games and most likely has a contractual exclusivity deal to the franchise.

The MS executives keep talking about the strength of their launch lineup. Absolutely nothing they've shown looks appealing to me. Is anyone here really looking forward to any particular Xbox One launch exclusives?

SmartCat85

Auditioning
Real Name
Rony Brige
What makes you so sure about that? MS already got the license for MGS V, right? along with the predecessor. Not to mention, other PlayStation used-to-be exclusive titles earlier. Let's watch and see then.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I don't think there's any license involved with MGS; that series is published by an independent company that simply had an exclusive deal with Sony for a while. Uncharted is published by Sony -- an XBox edition is as unlikely as a Playstation edition of Halo.

Didn't Bioshock start as a Microsoft exclusive? Or was it simply released for XBox first?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks