Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Convert These to 3D, Please

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,000 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 03 2013 - 01:09 PM

Now I know for some this is heresy, but that is why I'm posting in the 3D forum.  I also think my two suggestions would not be financially viable so I know I'm just blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air.

I'd like to see the original King Kong in 3D.  I think it could be a fantastic experience.  I'd also like to suggest Ray Harryhausen's Beast from 20,000 Fathoms.  I can think of a couple of times where the beast walks right at and very close to the camera.  It would be fun.

While I'm at it, Peter Jackson's King Kong would be great in 3D too.  But that's three suggestions.  :3dglasses:

I'd rather see these in 3D than the untouched, virgin, OT of Star Wars.  I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that.  The devil made me do it.   :rolleyes:

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 30 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,288 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 01:46 AM

Now I know for some this is heresy, but that is why I'm posting in the 3D forum. 

What, for heresy?

(First reaction on reading the header:  "I can't, I've still got the laundry to do..."))

#3 of 30 Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 310 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted October 04 2013 - 06:16 AM

King Kong might be interesting. I'd be kinda interested in seeing a Republic serial liked The Masked Marvel converted.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#4 of 30 revgen

revgen

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 11:10 AM

I watched the Wizard of Oz 3D at a local IMAX recently, and as great a job as WB did converting it, I can tell it's not a real 3D film. For one thing, it wasn't shot to show depth or deep perspective in the first place. The attention was more on the actors and their performance.

Titanic 3D (imo the best 3D conversion done to date) looks more impressive since Cameron shot Titanic explicitly to show off it's size, structure, and it's rich architecture. When the Titanic sinks, Cameron did his best to show the perspective of what it was like to sink on a large ship. So the 3D conversion complemented Cameron's original vision for the film.

Bottomline, I'm not sure the original King Kong's cinematography would benefit from a 3D conversion.

#5 of 30 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,995 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 05:03 PM

They shouldn't waste any more time on 3D conversions until EVERY REAL 3D movie is released in 3D on Blu-Ray! (That recent reissue of Friday the 13th Part 3 with the obsolete red and blue 3D format was a humongous insult!)

• FoxyMulder likes this
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#6 of 30 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,000 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 05:17 PM

For some of us, they're not a waste of time.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#7 of 30 fxrh

fxrh

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted October 21 2013 - 02:41 PM

Now I know for some this is heresy, but that is why I'm posting in the 3D forum.  I also think my two suggestions would not be financially viable so I know I'm just blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air.

I'd like to see the original King Kong in 3D.  I think it could be a fantastic experience.  I'd also like to suggest Ray Harryhausen's Beast from 20,000 Fathoms.  I can think of a couple of times where the beast walks right at and very close to the camera.  It would be fun.

While I'm at it, Peter Jackson's King Kong would be great in 3D too.  But that's three suggestions.  :3dglasses:

I'd rather see these in 3D than the untouched, virgin, OT of Star Wars.  I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that.  The devil made me do it.   :rolleyes:

I like all three of your suggestions.  I'm a big fan of stop-motion animation, having published a magazine on the subject some forty years ago (named, ahem, FXRH), and let's just say I adored the late great Ray Harryhausen.

I should also mention that of the many 2D movies I've watched converted to 3D (using Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra), the best by far was Peter Jackson's version of KONG.

• Johnny Angell likes this

#8 of 30 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,000 posts

Posted October 21 2013 - 07:22 PM

PJ's King Kong has been converted to 3D?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#9 of 30 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,148 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted October 22 2013 - 04:43 AM

PJ's King Kong has been converted to 3D?

Convert 2D to 3D using Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#10 of 30 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,064 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 22 2013 - 12:07 PM

I enjoyed the Jurassic Park 3D conversion, and I'm looking forward to the Predator 3D conversion. However, the priority really should be the real 3D films.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 30 fxrh

fxrh

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted October 22 2013 - 12:34 PM

Now it's my turn to speak heresy.  As much as I want more of the older native 3D titles to be released on 3D Blu-ray, I'm not going to be upset if the current trend continues to convert more recent movies that would look sensational in 3D.  (I'm assuming, of course, that the 3D conversion would be a quality one and not a quickie such as I ROBOT or JUMPER.)  I would be much more excited about Peter Jackson's KING KONG getting a quality conversion than, say, a 3D Blu-ray release of BWANA DEVIL, the one that started it all.  Don't get me wrong. The titles I'm most excited about at the moment are REVENGE OF THE CREATURE and IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, about which we've heard nothing from Universal.  But I just can't get all that worked up about the upcoming 3D release of MAN IN THE DARK, a movie shot in native 3D (released by Columbia just ahead of HOUSE OF WAX to capitalize on all of the buzz about 3D) that I'm sure is capably done but would probably be unknown if it were not for its unusual place in 3D history.  However, I'm sure I'll wind up buying MAN IN THE DARK just to provide support for home theater 3D, which seems to have come in for its unfair share of bashing lately.

#12 of 30 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,000 posts

Posted October 22 2013 - 06:40 PM

I agree that PJ's King Kong would be great in 3D.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#13 of 30 Brenty

Brenty

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted October 23 2013 - 02:27 AM

Strange for me to be weighing in on this thread: I chose to buy a new 2D projector last year & am not a huge fan of post converting films not designed for 3D originally.

However, I'm a big fan of the Alien & Predator franchises (saw half of them at the cinema; bought them on VHS, DVD & now BD, etc.) & I'm always struck by how 3-dimensional the unfairly-maligned Alien vs. Predator (2004) appears throughout. Whatever you may think of it as a film - & a lot of folk are, I think, unfairly biased - admit it: the Aliens & Predators themselves have never looked or sounded better!

It definitely gets my vote as the one film I'd be very curious to see receive a conversion...

#14 of 30 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,632 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 23 2013 - 04:35 AM

Is James Cameron converting The Abyss to 3D?

#15 of 30 revgen

revgen

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 06:54 AM

James Cameron answers your question in this article.

http://www.techradar...into-3d-1095851

#16 of 30 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,632 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 23 2013 - 12:33 PM

James Cameron answers your question in this article.

http://www.techradar...into-3d-1095851

Thanks so much!

#17 of 30 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,862 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted October 31 2013 - 02:30 PM

Speed Racer. That is all.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#18 of 30 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,172 posts

Posted October 31 2013 - 02:46 PM

If I had my choice, I would convert TOP BANANA; the only completely lost 3-D feature from the Golden Age.

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/lost-3-d

But then, who's asking me?! 

Top4.jpg

• Stephen_J_H and revgen like this

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

From Daily Variety, four days before the start of principal photography. This listing would remain

for over two months until the film wrapped production in late November 1954.

f75e4e81-ad94-4afd-8b61-5ad8ca634c18_zps

#19 of 30 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,479 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted November 08 2013 - 10:31 PM

A proper 3D version of "Top Banana" would be fabulous, but I'm not so sure about a 3D conversion. (although your re-constructed 3D trailer is very impressive)

Either way it would be a certain purchase, but not until we get a real 3D version of "Kiss Me Kate" ;)

I was blown away by the 3D conversion of "The Wizard Of Oz" - Absolutely amazing.

As soon as it had finished I turned to my Wife and said "how would some of those early Busby Berkeley Musicals look in 3D?"

All those spectacular girly sequences would be sensational.

So my request for 3D conversion would be either "Forty Second Street", "Footlight Parade", "Dames" or a compilation of all.

Speaking of musicals, how spectacular would the "An American in Paris" ballet look in 3D? - Geez, I could go on forever. :)

BERKELEY.jpg

If ever something cried out for a 3D conversion, then surely it's Busby.

Doug. :3dglasses:

Edited by Doug Bull, November 08 2013 - 11:01 PM.

• Bob Furmanek likes this

#20 of 30 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,000 posts

Posted November 09 2013 - 09:57 AM

You make an excellent point(s) with those Busby legs.  In 3D, I'd be tempted to reach out and touch them.   :P

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users