Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Agatha Christie Mystery Collection

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   rybev

rybev

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 02:37 AM

The four main Agatha Christie films - Murder on the Orient Express, Death on the Nile, The Mirror Crack'd and Evil Under The Sun are to be released on bluray in a boxset in November 2013 in Italy
http://www.amazon.it..._rd_i=426865031

Hopefully this will also come to other countries but I'll still be purchasing. Can't wait to see Nile in glorious HD, I just hope they do a real good job on the PQ.

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted October 02 2013 - 03:43 AM

Wow. I hope it's region-free. I see that 3 of the 4 are coming out as singles in Japan which is region A, so that might be an alternative if the Italian box set is region B-locked.

Edited by Mark-P, October 02 2013 - 03:45 AM.

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,575 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 02 2013 - 03:49 AM

Wow. I hope it's region-free. I see that 3 of the 4 are coming out as singles in Japan which is region A, so that might be an alternative if the Italian box set is region B-locked.

Which one is missing from the Japanese offerings?

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted October 02 2013 - 10:15 AM

Which one is missing from the Japanese offerings?

The best one, of course, Murder on the Orient Express:(

Here's a link.

Edited by Mark-P, October 02 2013 - 10:27 AM.

• Matt Hough likes this

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   rybev

rybev

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 10:48 AM

Odd that Express is missing, wonder if there's a distribution rights issue.

As much as I enjoy Express, Nile is my favourite. It was the first one I saw on tv at Christmas back in about 1984 and from then on I loved it and grew to love Christie in general.

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted October 02 2013 - 01:32 PM

Odd that Express is missing, wonder if there's a distribution rights issue.

I'm sure that's the reason. For region 1 Orient Express is Paramount and the other three are Lionsgate.

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,575 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 03 2013 - 04:28 AM

The best one, of course, Murder on the Orient Express:(

Here's a link.

Thanks, Mark. I figured it would be Orient Express since that seems to lie within Paramount's purview. I was just getting into Christie at the time of this film, and I was so glad that I hadn't read the book before seeing the movie. I hadn't read the books of any of the four classic Christie films before seeing the films so I could pit my sleuthing skills against Poirot or Marple. I did figure out the killer(s) in two of the four but not Orient Express or Evil Under the Sun.

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   rybev

rybev

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 10:43 AM

I bought the Spanish boxset as it was already released (Italian set delayed till 4/12)

Done screenshots for Orient Express and Nile.....

http://blushots.weeb...nt-express.html

http://blushots.weeb...n-the-nile.html

Nile looks like it may have been overly processed a little but it's lovely to see it looking clean and clear.
  • ChromeJob likes this

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 19 2013 - 08:08 PM

I bought the Spanish boxset as it was already released (Italian set delayed till 4/12)

Done screenshots for Orient Express and Nile.....

http://blushots.weeb...nt-express.html

http://blushots.weeb...n-the-nile.html

Nile looks like it may have been overly processed a little but it's lovely to see it looking clean and clear.

Region-free?

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   rybev

rybev

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted November 20 2013 - 06:25 AM

Yes, it's Region free

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,225 posts

Posted November 20 2013 - 06:31 AM

UK set is also coming but seems to be missing Mirror Crack'd.

http://www.amazon.co...=AC_SX110_SY165

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   rybev

rybev

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted November 20 2013 - 06:38 AM

UK set is also coming but seems to be missing Mirror Crack'd.
http://www.amazon.co...=AC_SX110_SY165

Yeah, I saw that but I kinda like The Mirror Crack'd and thought it was a shame to leave it out. I suspect they have focused on Poirot in the UK because the Suchet tv series has just ended, maybe they believe it will maximise sales by having the 'Poirot' name/brand.

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Erik_H

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted November 25 2013 - 03:51 PM

I watched "Orient Express" over the weekend.  Nice transfer, although the absence of supplements that were included in the US DVD are disappointing (but not surprising as the US DVD was a Paramount release and the Spanish Blu-Ray is from Universal). 

A major error in the end credits, though.  Albert Finney's name is missing; a remarkable omission given that he was top-billed and his name was the first to appear in the end credits of the theatrical and DVD releases (Finney's name continues to appear in the main credits on the Blu-Ray).    An error such as this could prompt a recall.

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted November 26 2013 - 09:36 AM

The four main Agatha Christie films - Murder on the Orient Express, Death on the Nile, The Mirror Crack'd and Evil Under The Sun are to be released on bluray in a boxset in November 2013 in Italy
http://www.amazon.it...duct/B00F8J3E42

I looked at the web site and it is coming out Dec 4

I also looked in Amazon.de and the Italian set is listed there. I will probably get it here in Munich and can test for region code. The audio and subtitles have english

Edited by Sumnernor, November 26 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   rybev

rybev

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted November 26 2013 - 09:38 AM

I looked at the web site and it is coming out Dec 4

I also looked in Amazon.de and the Italian set is listed there. I will probably get it here in Munich and can test for region code. The audio and subtitles have english

The Italian release was delayed till Dec.
The Spanish set is region free

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,225 posts

Posted December 03 2013 - 11:01 AM

It seems that these CanalStudio transfers are released all over Europe. In Scandinavia they're released separately.

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,369 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 14 2013 - 04:11 PM

I'm afraid a fail for the first two films - Orient Express and Nile.  Orient is a newer transfer than the one Studio Canal did for the overseas four film set on DVD - cleaner and decent detail but with color that's just not right.  The Paramount DVD has perfect color - a couple of the scenes in the Blu are so off in terms of timing it's really not good.  Unsworth shot the film with really heavy diffusion so one must account for that, which I do, but the color is kind of unforgivable.  Obviously Paramount has an element with the proper timing and Studio Canal doesn't have the timing notes or didn't use them.

Nile is an older transfer and looks it - no real detail at all, although obviously more than the DVD.  But very substandard for a Blu-ray and again color that's a bit too yellow and a transfer that does no justice at all to Jack Cardiff's spectacular photography.  There is nothing "clear" about the Nile transfer.

I'm expecting Mirror Crack'd and Evil Under the Sun to be the older transfers, too - if they begin with the older Canal logo they will be - that's how Nile begins.

And Finney missing from the end credits of Express isn't the only problem - Colin Blakely's name is misspelled in the front credits.  It's all correct on the Paramount DVD and one wonders exactly how something like this could have happened.

• Will Krupp likes this

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,120 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 05:50 AM

I'm sorry to bring this thread back up again but, just so I'm clear...if I order the Italian set is it Region A playable?

#19 of 31 ONLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,132 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted August 28 2014 - 05:58 AM

I'm sorry to bring this thread back up again but, just so I'm clear...if I order the Italian set is it Region A playable?

Will, see below. It appears that it is confirmed for Region A...

http://www.blu-ray.c...3/#RegionCoding

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,120 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 06:13 AM

Thanks atfree I DID see that and I'm hoping that it was our very own Mark-P that did the confirming!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users