Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2013 - 2014 NHL Discussion Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
503 replies to this topic

#101 of 504 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 07 2014 - 02:50 PM

Amazing the pics we can get from a "left the SLR at home" point & shoot nowadays. :)

Yes, it's a pretty decent little camera - a Canon S100. If I took the time to read the manual, I could probably eek out a little more quality, too. I've only used it a couple of time, though, as I almost always use a dSLR. The camera will shoot RAW, but I had forgotten that and only shot in jpeg format. I did tweak the photos a little in Lightroom, though.

#102 of 504 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 19 2014 - 07:19 AM

Detroit beat the Kings last night in a shootout, after scoring the tying goal in the last minute - a goal that should not have counted. Replays clearly show the puck being deflected off the netting behind the goal, coming down, hitting goaltender Quick in the back, and then going in the net. The play should have been blown dead when the puck hit the protective netting, as it is considered out of play at that point.

The NHL's answer for why the play was not reviewable makes no sense. The league claims it was not reviewable because no official blew a whistle when the puck struck the netting. Logic fails here - if that is the case, then how can a puck deflected into the net by a high stick be reviewed if no official blows the play dead? What a stupid reason. This is something the league needs to fix immediately.

• Ockeghem likes this

#103 of 504 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,374 posts

Posted January 19 2014 - 10:32 AM

Scott,

I wish that MLB, NBA, NFL, and the NHL would just admit it when they make a mistake regarding a call.  It might not solve what you describe above, but I think it would go a long way in helping the overall perception of how fans feel regarding the officials / referees in some of these sports.

• Scott Merryfield likes this

#104 of 504 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 20 2014 - 11:47 AM

To be fair, I think the NBA actually does admit error now and then. The NFL could certainly take a lesson from them.

• Ockeghem likes this
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#105 of 504 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 20 2014 - 03:35 PM

Former NHL referee Kerry Fraser blasted the NHL over the Wings goal that tied the game with LA on Saturday. While he excused the on-ice officials, he blasted the Situation Room in Toronto for not initiating a review. Here is part of Fraser's thoughts:

I point out Rule 38.4 (viii) which says, "The video review process shall be permitted to assist the referees in determining the legitimacy of all potential goals (e.g. to ensure they are "good hockey goals"). For example (but not limited to), pucks that enter the net by going though the net messing, pucks that enter the net from underneath the net frame, pucks that enter the net undetected by the referee, etc."

I would hope that an undetected puck that leaves the playing surface (hitting protective netting out of play) and then directly results in the puck entering the net would fall under that broad "ETC" in the rule to permit video review to "assist the referees" in determining the legitimacy of the goal. This was well beyond the parameters of a "good hockey goal!"  There was absolutely zero "assistance" provided from the Situation Room as the officials huddled on the ice in an attempt to make a correct determination. I suspect the officials were dying a thousand deaths on the ice and the replay clearly demonstrates that a telephone call was not initiated by the Toronto Situation Room to "assist the referees."

You can read the entire column here.

#106 of 504 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,374 posts

Posted January 20 2014 - 04:36 PM

Scott,

Thanks.  Those in the Situation Room must have had something more important on their minds.  What were they doing, watching a Bruins game? ;)

One of our local sports radio programs was discussing Eastern Conference seedings today.  The Penguins, Bruins, Canadiens, and Lightning are probably a safe bet for the top seeds (although the Rangers may sneak in).  But I realize that there are still a lot of games left to play.  They mentioned that the Red Wings are currently fifth, and that they may have to fight for a wild card berth.  The announcers also emphasized how the Red Wings have yet to play the Canadiens this year, and how they have some key games with each other soon.  (I can't recall if these are before or after the Olympics.)  The two-and-a-half week break during the Olympics may help a few of the injury-riddled teams.  I'm off to watch the Blues - Red Wings game. :)

#107 of 504 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 21 2014 - 11:44 AM

Are the on-ice officials not allowed to request a video review?

How 'bout them Panthers!  :D

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#108 of 504 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 21 2014 - 01:43 PM

Are the on-ice officials not allowed to request a video review?

They are, but the claim in this case was that none of the four officials saw the puck hit the protective netting, so none of them would think to request a replay. A team cannot request one, so I guess the complaints from the Kings fell on deaf ears. However, the NHL is supposed to be monitoring all games back in their "Situation Room" in Toronto, and should have buzzed the on-ice officials to initiate the replay. They must have all been sleeping in Toronto.

Supposedly, this exact same thing happened to the Wings several years ago against San Jose, that time going against Detroit. How the league could not have corrected this after the first occurrence is mind boggling.

#109 of 504 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,374 posts

Posted January 21 2014 - 01:49 PM

During last night's Blues - Red Wings game, the announcers were saying that a similar thing happened against the Red Wings about six or seven years ago.  They said that these kinds of things even out over time -- but who knew it would take years? ;)

Scott,

Edit: I just saw your second paragraph.  I must have missed that when I was posting.

#110 of 504 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 30 2014 - 06:46 PM

The good news is the Habs thoroughly beat the Bruins tonight 4-1. :)

The bad news is that the NHL Network used the feed from the Bruins local telecast, so I had to listen to Jack Edwards call the game. :wacko:

#111 of 504 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 07 2014 - 04:55 AM

I saw something last night in the Habs - Canucks game I'd never seen before in a hockey game -- the same player (Max Pacioretty) was awarded two penalty shots -- both in the second period. MaxPac missed both attempts against Luongo, but fortunately the Canadiens still won the game 5-2. The announcers said it was the 2nd time in Montreal's history that a player had been awarded two shots, but I did not see that other game -- I think they said it was Eric Cole, but I do not remember that happening.

The Canadiens could have been awarded a third penalty shot, as David Desharais was pulled down from behind in the 3rd period, but the referees decided to show some mercy and swallowed their whistles.

#112 of 504 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 07 2014 - 11:28 AM

I believe that it was the first time in NHL history that a player has been awarded two penalty shots in a single period, and also the first time that a player has missed two penalty shots in a single game!

The really crazy thing is that Pacioretty got a hat trick anyway!!! (I think the last was an empty-netter, but still. . .)

#113 of 504 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,374 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 08:18 AM

Thankfully we can finally get back to some real hockey tonight. ;)

Scott,

The Bruins, Canadiens, and Red Wings games are televised in my area tonight.  It doesn't get much better than this!  (Well, since the Canadiens and Red Wings are facing one another, it's not that remarkable, except that the Bruins are being televised, which is good.  I'm sure that Scott would agree that that alone makes it remarkable. ;))

Aaron,

I hadn't realized until I checked that the Bruins were the hottest team in the NHL before the break.  Let's hope that they can keep it going.

#114 of 504 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,423 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted February 26 2014 - 10:13 AM

Carey Price out for what looks to be two games with a lower body injury that was aggravated in Sochi. Let’s hope this is just a few extra games rest and nothing more. 

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...games-1.2552131

Go Habs!

"Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#115 of 504 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 26 2014 - 10:20 AM

Carey Price out for what looks to be two games with a lower body injury that was aggravated in Sochi. Let’s hope this is just a few extra games rest and nothing more. 

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...games-1.2552131

Go Habs!

Hopefully it's not too serious. If Price is out for an extended period of time, the Canadiens playoff hopes are in the toilet. He has been spectacular in net this season. I would have liked to see him play against the Wings tonight, but getting healthy is far more important.

On the positive note, Alex Galchenyuk returns to the lineup after missing the past several weeks with a broken hand. His offense will be welcome, as Montreal has struggled to score goals lately.

Go Habs!

#116 of 504 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 26 2014 - 11:33 AM

Tuukka's out tonight as well, but apparently it's only jet lag. Either that or a birthday party. ;)

#117 of 504 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 06:06 AM

Tuukka's out tonight as well, but apparently it's only jet lag. Either that or a birthday party. ;)

And the B's could have used him.  Boy was Johnson bad last night, against a very bad Sabres team.

#118 of 504 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 27 2014 - 11:36 AM

The defense (or lack thereof) toward the end of the game didn't help.

Then there was that PP goal that the Sabres scored when the B's should've been on the PP, but I'm not going there. . .

#119 of 504 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 27 2014 - 06:14 PM

The Habs effort versus the Wings wasn't much better, Aaron and Jeff. They didn't generate any offense for the first 59 minutes, then got a late gift to earn a loser point. A defensive breakdown cost them the winning goal. At least they are scoring some goals tonight against the Penguins. The defense is ragged, though -- Subban made another boneheaded defensive play to give up a shorthanded goal.

#120 of 504 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted February 28 2014 - 01:24 PM

The defense (or lack thereof) toward the end of the game didn't help.

Then there was that PP goal that the Sabres scored when the B's should've been on the PP, but I'm not going there. . .

The Marchand penalty was pitiful.  Matching at least, a PP was not out of the question, but to be on the kill after he gets crosschecked and punched was absurd.  The Lucic hit was also a BS call.  The Sabre quite obviously turned his numbers and there was no way Lucic could pull up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users