Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: "Voice Your Choice" Winners to arrive on Blu-ray December 3rd

Fox BD/DVD Press Release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 of 55 nealg

nealg

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 08:09 AM

I am looking forward to The Ghost and Mrs. Muir the most from this set of eight releases.

Ditto. Though I'm not even familiar with the others. That may soon change.

#22 of 55 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,823 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 02 2013 - 08:55 AM

Don't know if I would have purchased any of the ones they offered into the poll. I did vote on the ones I thought were cinematically worthy of release. (once I researched them all)

I also don't remember which I voted for, but the ones I did were all ones that stretched the technique of film-making the most(as in advancing the art).

Even if I don't partake...worthy additions to the fold.

#23 of 55 Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 289 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted October 02 2013 - 01:22 PM

"The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" was the only "winning" title I voted for.

I'm still perplexed by the two rather inconsequential John Wayne titles from the 1960s.  Both films are pretty awful, although "North to Alaska" is fun.

Maybe one day we'll get "Two for the Road".

#24 of 55 Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 02:10 PM

"The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" was the only "winning" title I voted for.

I'm still perplexed by the two rather inconsequential John Wayne titles from the 1960s.  Both films are pretty awful, although "North to Alaska" is fun.

Maybe one day we'll get "Two for the Road".

This exact same comment has been posted by many others since February. Allow me to explain why Wayne trumps all: popularity. There are legions of John Wayne fans which were able to get their votes in. However, these films were such no-brainer successes that Fox should have released them by default. Heck, Fox released The Barbarian and the Geisha; one of Wayne's worst films last year. So a few more so-called "awful" Wayne films also would have sold well. As a fan of The Duke, I don't find North to Alaska to be an "awful" film. Far from Wayne's best though. I can't comment on The Undefeated.

Anyway, Fox should have released those this past May, keeping with the pattern from the years past and left Wayne out of the voting due to his popularity being a given. Heck, they left out plenty of worthy titles like The Blue Max, The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit, Lifeboat, and My Darling Clementine, to name just a few.

Regarding Two for the Road, I'm almost certain that it will be released next year given how well it did.

Regarding the 1940's winners, I'm hugely excited for The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and The Black Swan. However, I'm very disappointed that my personal favorite Tyrone Power film Captain From Castile, as well as The Return of Frank James; the sequel to Jesse James (which is being released) didn't make the cut. I mean Fox issued Frank and Jesse at the same time on DVD, I would have expected no less for Blu-ray.

#25 of 55 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,479 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted October 02 2013 - 04:19 PM

"Carmen Jones" for me.

#26 of 55 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,632 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 02 2013 - 06:10 PM

I voted for both Temple films The Little Princess and The Blue Bird, neither of which made the cut. I was also another who cast as many votes as I could for Two for the Road. [sigh]

• Andrew Budgell and JohnMor like this

#27 of 55 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,572 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 06:23 PM

From that list The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, The Black Swan, and Carmen Jones are the titles that I'm most interested in seeing on Blu-ray.  

- Walter.

Edited by Walter Kittel, October 02 2013 - 06:24 PM.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#28 of 55 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,095 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 08:32 PM

POPULAR

This is great. HTF, an industry leader and a great place to hang out, the best of both worlds.

• Everett Stallings, Adam Gregorich, ahollis and 1 other like this

#29 of 55 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,853 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 09:35 PM

HTF, an industry leader and a great place to hang out, the best of both worlds.

Bob, that means a lot to us.  Thank You.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#30 of 55 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 10:16 PM

I don't think any of the ones I voted for won, but then again I was mostly voting for titles I felt had no chance of being normally released by 20th Century Fox and always voted for the titles that never got a DVD release.  I figure most of the titles that got a standard DVD release are going to get a blu-ray release eventually, either through Fox or Twilight Time.

I'm happy with all of the titles being chosen, except for the Wayne titles which I felt had no need for such a poll even though I absolutely adored North To Alaska, one of his best all-out comedies.  The Agony and the Ecstasy should have made it instead.  And I will always wonder what Bedazzled would look like on a blu-ray...

#31 of 55 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,176 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 05:02 AM

I voted for both Temple films The Little Princess and The Blue Bird, neither of which made the cut.

I voted for those two as well. It would be nice to see those two films in HD, especially The Little Princess, which is my favourite Temple film.

#32 of 55 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,632 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 03 2013 - 06:19 AM

I voted for those two as well. It would be nice to see those two films in HD, especially The Little Princess, which is my favourite Temple film.

Yes, that one hurt not winning since there were only four contenders. I guess Will Rogers/John Ford fans were equally upset that Steamboat Round the Bend didn't make it.

#33 of 55 battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 658 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted October 03 2013 - 07:09 AM

I hope nthis vote thingy can be done again, with titles from the 70's and 80's, too. I'd love tot see The Turning Point for one, among others.

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#34 of 55 Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 07:36 AM

Yes, that one hurt not winning since there were only four contenders. I guess Will Rogers/John Ford fans were equally upset that Steamboat Round the Bend didn't make it.

As a John Ford fan, it was heartbreaking to see Steamboat Round the Bend fall into last place behind the relatively unknown Swanee River. Drums Along the Mohawk being licensed to Twilight Time and Fox's failure to include any other Ford films on the ballot really don't bode well for us. *sigh* I hope Fox has a Ford at Fox blu-ray set planned for some point in the future, maybe once TT's exclusivity rights to Drums expire.

I don't think any of the ones I voted for won, but then again I was mostly voting for titles I felt had no chance of being normally released by 20th Century Fox and always voted for the titles that never got a DVD release.  I figure most of the titles that got a standard DVD release are going to get a blu-ray release eventually, either through Fox or Twilight Time.

I'm happy with all of the titles being chosen, except for the Wayne titles which I felt had no need for such a poll even though I absolutely adored North To Alaska, one of his best all-out comedies.  The Agony and the Ecstasy should have made it instead.  And I will always wonder what Bedazzled would look like on a blu-ray...

I was disappointed that Fox didn't see fit to release the two Wayne titles outside of the Studio Classics line. They're surefire successes.

Agony has been rumored for release since 2009 by both Fox and Twilight Time, but it's still in limbo I guess. *sigh*

#35 of 55 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,176 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 07:46 AM

blackswanblu.jpg

callofwildblu.jpg

carmenjonesblu.jpg

desksetblu.jpg

ghostmuirblu.jpg

jessejamesblu.jpg

northtoalaskablu.jpg

undefeatedblu.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• kgynHh2.jpg

Edited by Andrew Budgell, October 03 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#36 of 55 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 10:21 AM

Most of those covers are pretty nice, though I'm still confused as why Fox keeps insisting on advertising North to Alaska as a serious drama.  Oh well.

As a John Ford fan, it was heartbreaking to see Steamboat Round the Bend fall into last place behind the relatively unknown Swanee River

I think what helped Swanee River along was that Fox issued a very poor MOD of Swanee River that same year (2012) and seeing that they already had a recent HD transfer handy, some users voted for it out of protest.  Also, being one of only two Technicolor features in that category it suggests much visual potential.  I voted for it as well along with other underdogs.

As far as the 30s were concerned, Call of the Wild got votes in hopes that we'd get an uncut feature , which by the looks of it we won't get, and Jesse James because the DVD transfer left much room for improvement.  Steamboat 'Round the Bend DVD was pretty satisfactory in comparison.

I also hope we get Steamboat 'Round the Bend.  Will Rogers should get a blu-ray debut and what better place to start?

Edited by JoHud, October 03 2013 - 10:31 AM.

• Lromero1396 likes this

#37 of 55 Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 01:08 PM

The tech specs and preorders are up on Foxconnect. All films have lossless original audio, but Jesse James, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, and The Undefeated feature 5.1 remixes in addition to the lossless original mono. I hope that Fox's stereo music stems are used for those. Otherwise, the remixes are a complete waste of funds, effort, and disc space. Note; Specs have not been made available for North to Alaska yet.

By the way, when are we going to get the emails with the Foxconnect discount codes? The preorders are up and I'm anxious to place mine!  :)

Edit: It is most unfortunate that Call of the Wild is the edited reissue version*. I guess the scenes cut from the long version were junked back in '78. Since COTW is a Pre-Fox 20th Century production, I'm not expecting much in terms of a/v quality since those films have not weathered the years particularly well based on what I've seen.

*I have two possible reasons for the 95 minute original being chopped down to 81 minutes:

1. The 14 minutes of the film contained a character that was not considered kosher at test screenings (may have had something to do with Jack Oakie's character getting killed in prints shown at test screenings.)

2. The 14 minutes were trimmed for the 1943 reissue to increase the number of showings per day and thus generate more revenue.

I have no sources to validate either of these claims as I read this info so long ago that I've forgotten where it came from. Robert Harris will probably weigh in on the cutting once the Blu-ray is released and then we will have a definitive answer.

Edited by Lromero1396, October 03 2013 - 06:22 PM.

• JoHud likes this

#38 of 55 Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 09:31 AM

Glad for the folks who really wanted these films, but nothing in this group does anything for me except for the two John Waynes -- and I consider both of them mediocre films at best.

Ah well, every release can't be films I like. Congrats to those whose wishes have been fulfilled.

#39 of 55 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 10:29 AM

I just ordered The Ghost and Mrs Muir from Amazon.  I want a copy and I felt this title will sell fast.  I did not look for the other movies but I am sure they must be up for pre order too.

I love this film and hope The Razors Edge will be released in the Fox Classic collection.\

I even hope TT will pick up the title if Fox does not release it.

#40 of 55 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,853 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 10:32 AM

POPULAR

Be aware that we have not yet posted preorder links to those titles because

there will be a substantial discount (less than Amazon) for HTF members, on

all those titles, close to release date.

• ahollis, JoHud and Lromero1396 like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox, BD/DVD Press Release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users