What's new

Sub not putting out bass (1 Viewer)

mits3kgtvr4

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I recently purchased a RX-V575 receiver and am having trouble getting my subwoofer to work. All of my speakers (Epic Sound 7.1) are working fine but I am not getting any bass from my sub. I have a non-powered subwoofer with only 2 input and 2 output speaker wire connections. I tried using the bi-amp ports with the bi-amp option enabled but that did not work. I tried hooking my sub up to the front speaker ports but that did not work either (though when I chained the front speakers from the sub, they worked fine). I am positive the sub works and that the wires/connections/positive and negatives are all correct and working.

Since I am completely new to sound systems I had a friend help me set some of them up yesterday. The sub was working fine then but I did not have enough wire to set it up like I wanted. After buying wire today, unhooking what he had done previously and getting everything laid out like I wanted, I ran into the problem with my sub. He said he hooked the sub up through the front speaker ports which is why I tried it like that tonight (He was drunk and I do not recall where from where I unplugged the sub.) The guy at bestbuy is the one who suggested using the bi-amp ports.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Bi-amp means you lose 7.1.Did you set the AVR up in "bi-amp mode"? (Didn't realise the 575 had bi-amp, thought you had to get the 675).Otherwise, with this sub, there won't be a .1. You run the sub inline with the main channel. There is probably no point, nor need, to even care about bi-amp.

mits3kgtvr4

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I did set it up in bi-amp mode but all that did was push out a little bass from my front speakers...still nothing from my sub. I do not understand why I am not getting any bass now even though I was when my buddy first connected it.

What do you mean run the sub inline with the main channel?

mits3kgtvr4

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Sorry. I am a total noob when it comes to sound systems and still am not excatly sure what you mean by inline. How would I go about doing that and would that give any bass from my sub? I live in apartment complex so I am not too concerned with having wall-shaking bass, just a little bit is fine with me.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your set up...AVR front channels to the sub. Sub to the main speakers.Set the AVR itself as "no subwoofer", but you can still use the bass management for the center/surrounds.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Now, if you want .1.Buy an external amp(such as the HTD SDA-100) and perform 10 minutes of subwoofer re-wiring.1. Pull the speaker terminal out(it has screws)2. Disconnect the "innards"*.3. Connect the driver leads*.4. Put the speaker terminal back in.*Post a picture of what the inside speaker terminal looks like. Anybody here with knowledge on bypassing an internal amp(or in this case, a crossover) can tell you what to pull and reconnect. I've been doing this long enough that, for me, step 1-4 would take 5 minutes.

mits3kgtvr4

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
schan1269 said:
Your set up...AVR front channels to the sub. Sub to the main speakers.Set the AVR itself as "no subwoofer", but you can still use the bass management for the center/surrounds.
This seems to be the most common way to run my type of system from what I have been reading/hearing but its still not working. I will triple check my wiring (though I dont think the fronts would work if the wiring was wrong.) If that all looks good I guess the sub needs to be tested independently on an amp to make sure its operational.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Also depends on what you are listening to.Internet music(Spotify, iTunes, mp3, etc) won't have much bass. Neither will radio.You need a CD, DVD or BD.Also, have you set the AVR as "no subwoofer". If it is set "yes there is a subwoofer", it won't do anything.

mits3kgtvr4

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
When my buddy originally hooked it up, I was getting very loud bass from each bullet being fired in GTAV and tons of it to the metallica I was playing through my computer. I had not even messed with any settings in my AVR when all this happened. it was only when I rewired that the bass just stopped.

it is set to "no subwoofer"

mits3kgtvr4

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I tried hooking my amp directly to the bi-amp ports on my AVR and put it in bi-amp mode (and tried normal mode), nothing. tried normal and bi-amp modes while plugged into the front speaker ports as well, nothing.

mits3kgtvr4

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
After reading up on what I have and possible solutions for my problem, I am kind of leaning toward buying a powered sub. The speakers/sub I have did not cost me one penny and im only $450 in on the AVR and all the cables (wire/hdmis/opticals/surge protector) so another 200 or so for a decent sub seems worth it to bring the whole package together. I ran across a $500 12inch sub for $200 at some point last night but I am unable to find it again. Ill browse a little and see what I can find. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated especially as far as specs go. I really have no idea what I am looking for, what my AVR can handle, etc etc.

mits3kgtvr4

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I cant find any new Epic Sound products. From what I have read that are a very small and shitty company (idk if they still exist). Ive been looking at a few subs on amazon in the $250-$250 range that seem okay but I have no idea what to look for in a good sub.

mits3kgtvr4

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I like the F12 out of those but I cant tell if it has an auto setting like the Dayton does. Seems like the F12 puts out a little more from what I have read

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks