What's new

CEDIA 2013: Sony's Entry Level 4K Projector (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sony announced three new 4K projectors here at CEDIA 2013. The VPL-VW1100ES, VPL-VW600ES 4K front projectors join VPL-HW55ES. We looked at the Sony VPL-VW600ES 4K Home Theater Projector, which is available this November for $14,999.

Even being the entry level Sony 4K PJ, there is still a unique quality over other 4K PJ's. The VPL-VW600ES home theater projector offers Full Digital Cinema Initiative (DCI)-based 4096 x 2160 resolution. The VPL-VW600ES pumps out up to 1,700 ANSI-lumens of brightness and a 200,000:1 contrast ratio. The Sony supports the latest HDMI® standard, supporting 4K native resolution at 60 frames per second.

Sony_VPL-VW500ES_1_610x450.jpg

Check out the interview below.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
also announced by Sony:

While their current UHD PJ will not accept the signal from their UHD Media server, Starting in November Sony techs will be available to go to your home and do a conversion of the PJs so they can accept the UHD media server signal.

This is an "upgrade service". Pricing for this will be $2500 MSRP and will include the installation of the new HDMI board, a new lamp, and the Sony UHD Media server.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Pretty ridiculous that they will release a new 4k projector that can't even display their own 4k media server without shelling out another $2500. The projector is already missing the mark with the announced MSRP. It certainly took it out of my range. Now you can really forget about it when more $$ along with having to have a service tech come out and perform an installation.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
We have Sony's VPL-VW600ES 4K projector, with Sony's tablet and 4k media server scheduled to arrive on Friday, November 22nd and I'm more excited about this projector than any other I have owned before. It will replace our DLA-RS66 that has faithfully seved our showroom theater demo room for the past year.

Our store demo theater is totally absent of light and is flat black from head to toe. It's acoustically treated and It's a dedicated CinemaScope system with a high-end 9.2 audio system. Sony's top projector technical manager recommends zooming to fill our 2.39:1 screen as 4k has some issues with the horizontal stretch. I've always preferred using a quality anamorphic lens to preserve resolution and light, but many experts smarter than me do not suggest putting an auxillary lens in front of the projector optics.

Not sure which Sony Pictures' movie to watch first, but it's likely to be one of the Spider-Man movies.

-Robert

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Southpaw said:
Pretty ridiculous that they will release a new 4k projector that can't even display their own 4k media server without shelling out another $2500. The projector is already missing the mark with the announced MSRP. It certainly took it out of my range. Now you can really forget about it when more $$ along with having to have a service tech come out and perform an installation.
Those projectors were probably on a boat and half way here before Sony finalized their own requirement. Besides...including the server in the cost of the service makes it almost even.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks