Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rush review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,077 posts

Posted September 27 2013 - 06:11 PM

I know a lot of people will automatically pass on Ron Howard’s Rush because they have no interest in Formula One racing, those that do are going to miss one of the best movies of the year. Yes it is a one of the best racing movies ever made but it is so much more that it would be unfortunate to label it as just a racing movie. It is at its core a character study of self-examination and the film excels in this department.

Rush focuses on the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda who were both extremely talented Formula One drivers in the 70s but personality wise they could not have been more different. Hunt is a wild living playboy while Lauda is a pragmatic thinker. While it would be easy to portray one as a hero and the other a villain Peter Morgan’s script avoids such pitfalls thus allowing Chris Hemsworth as Hunt and Daniel Brühl as Lauda to deliver excellent realistic performances of two complex individuals.

Ron Howard has crafted an excellent film, one I would highly recommend and if possible catch it on the big screen.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,103 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted September 28 2013 - 03:22 AM

I know a lot of people will automatically pass on Ron Howard’s Rush because they have no interest in Formula One racing, those that do are going to miss one of the best movies of the year. Yes it is a one of the best racing movies ever made but it is so much more that it would be unfortunate to label it as just a racing movie. It is at its core a character study of self-examination and the film excels in this department. Rush focuses on the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda who were both extremely talented Formula One drivers in the 70s but personality wise they could not have been more different. Hunt is a wild living playboy while Lauda is a pragmatic thinker. While it would be easy to portray one as a hero and the other a villain Peter Morgan’s script avoids such pitfalls thus allowing Chris Hemsworth as Hunt and Daniel Brühl as Lauda to deliver excellent realistic performances of two complex individuals. Ron Howard has crafted an excellent film, one I would highly recommend and if possible catch it on the big screen.

I agree with Patrick. An excellent film and a departure for Howard. I'm not a fan of Formula One racing but I am now. This film really shows how dangerous the sport is. 1 in 20 die on average. The performances were great, especially Daniel Bruhl as Lauda, although whenever he spoke, he sounded exactly like Mike Myers as Goldmember. One of the years best. ***1/2 out if 4
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,367 posts

Posted September 28 2013 - 04:24 AM

I know a lot of people will automatically pass on Ron Howard’s Rush because they have no interest in Formula One racing

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]That is the reason I have no interest in seeing this film anytime soon.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]However, I will probably do so once it reaches Blu-ray.[/color]

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor

• 619 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted September 28 2013 - 06:15 AM

I'll probably get this on blu-ray, just because I rarely go out to movies anymore.

And for the record, I despise baseball but I very much enjoy Robert Redford's "The Natural." You don't have to follow the subject matter to enjoy the movie.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Chris Will

Chris Will

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted September 30 2013 - 01:14 PM

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]That is the reason I have no interest in seeing this film anytime soon.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]However, I will probably do so once it reaches Blu-ray.[/color]

Same here, the racing theme is keeping me from spend the money to see it in the theaters, I'll catch it on BD at some point.  I'm much more excited to see Gravity this week because I'm a space geek.

No, you don't have to follow the subject matter to enjoy a movie but, it sure helps to build ones excitement.  This is why Gravity is higher on my "see list" then Rush, no matter how good or bad the reviews are for either film.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Greg Bright

Greg Bright

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 06:03 PM

Let's all hope that when Chris and Ron finally get around to viewing this film that they will become Formula One converts. Earth: Formula One and soccer. USA: NASCAR and football. Go figure.

"Aufersteh'n, ja aufersteh'n wirst du, Mein Herz, in einem Nu.
Was du geschlagen, Zu Gott wird es dich tragen!"

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor

• 619 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted October 05 2013 - 06:03 AM

That's what makes the USA unique. The way things are supposed to be. :)

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,110 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 12:58 PM

Ron Howard takes on Formula 1 racing, and uses the rivalry between Niki Lauda and James Hunt from the mid-1970s to tell the tale of competition between 2 drivers who are oil and water in their philosophical outlook on life, but live to race and win championships, with Hunt being the party dude who races on instinct and innate abilties, while Lauda being the more nose-to-the-grindstone achiever in racing and setting up race cars.

I think I'd like the film a little more if the animosity level was higher, though it would border on boxing or WWE scripted antagonism if not handled well.  Showing the different ways Hunt and Lauda approached life helped a bit, but I never felt the storyline was truly compelling.  Plus I think I wanted more racing footage from either driver's point of view, rather than the choices Ron Howard made.  I did like the bits of grain that was in the film to give it that 1970s feel.

So, overally I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.  It just never really hits a satisfying note towards the end.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users