Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Home Theater Tuners with out Amp

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 gc1988

gc1988

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 27 2013 - 10:38 AM

Hi, new to the site got a question, tried searching for it but doesn’t seem to be on here.

I am a sound engineer, when it comes to large rigs and concerts I am in heaven. Thing is when it comes to home theater I am a little at a loss. 

The pre-packaged home theater in a box or the available speakers for the medium do it yourselfer in my opinion are all shit! I want high quality, crisp mid range, a speaker able to deliver 5way sound and touch frequencies that only a dog could hear. In other words the quality i am use to when doing a concert setup worth 5 million in equipment. 

So very simple question I am looking for a tuner that can provide the video processing I need with HDMI in, optical audio in for blu-ray and such but doesn't have an amp inside to provide power to the speakers that’s where I come in. 

Any suggestions are welcome, and no smart a$$** if you have an inferiority complex take it up with your therapist.  

#2 of 4 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,900 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 27 2013 - 11:07 AM

You are looking for a Pre-Pro. 

Do you have a budget?

Cause you could get the AVM 50, or the Integra DHC 40.3.

There is also the Emotiva and Outlaw "$600-ish" out there.

#3 of 4 Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted September 28 2013 - 06:48 AM

Welcome to the forum Giancarlo :)

Sam made some great suggestions.  I would also consider older Marantz gear, nothing says you must use the internal amps and their older AVRs still make excellent pre/pros.

JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#4 of 4 Selden Ball

Selden Ball

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted September 30 2013 - 11:40 AM

Giancarlo,

What kind of budget is involved?

Preamp/processors (which don't include amps) tend to be more expensive than the equivalent receivers (which do include amps). This apparent contradiction is strictly because of the economies of scale in manufacturing. Far more receivers are made than pre/pros. The receiver models which have equivalent pre/pros also include preamp output connections so that their internal amps can be bypassed. They also tend to cost close to $1000 or more (a lot more!) if you buy a current model new.

Selden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users