Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
No box image, and:
"Studio: Fox MGM Allied Vaughn Fulfilled "
Oh, yeah, they do those classic boxsets, don't they? :blink:

I"m guessing it's an MOD Blu-ray, or some odd Amazon burp that will be clarified later, but if it sounds too sudden to be true, it usually is.

(And besides, I remember seeing it on TCM, but gave up when that ending circus-fantasy number just kept going on, and on, and on...Was I near the end?)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Hmmm, well I'm scratching my head over this.
Things don't seem quite right.

If the title itself has been taken over by MGM/Fox then how come this new blu-ray has Warner Brothers exclusive Extras??
Eg. a. Tom and Jerry Cartoon. b. Warner Bros Vitaphone musical short.
Plus, the original Overture and the trailer all of which are on the previous Warner DVD.

Something here just doesn't add up.

Strange blu-ray production credit.
Fox-MGM-Allied Vaughn fulfilled.
What's all that about? Is it a European or Asian import maybe? Is it a legal disc? Is it just the DVD up-coverted on the cheap by some back-yarder.

Hmmm. I hope Warners are looking at this.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
There is this, which confirms that Warner Archive uses Allied Vaughn for replication. Amazon lists the Gypsy Blu-ray as Warner/Allied Vaughn. So I think Amazon got it wrong in that is should be Warner/Allied Vaughn and that they have also jumped the gun in leaking the news of Warner Archive's next Blu-ray release!

Edit: I posted the question of WAC's Facebook page, so we'll see if they have a response.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That's a wonderful surprise if it is coming. I wish they had given us Doris' Calamity Jane or especially Love Me or Leave Me, but I'll take what I can get!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Mark-P said:
Edit: I posted the question of WAC's Facebook page, so we'll see if they have a response.
They deleted my post on Facebook, so I guess they're not ready to talk about it yet. :(

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: FANTASTIC NEWS. This is a terrific, underrated film, and should look (and sound) superb in Blu. Just placed my order on Amazon....and what a great price, too!

Richard M S

Screenwriter
It has a release date of October 8 2013? I agree something seems off, however I hope it turns out to be the first of many MGM Musicals to be released via the WAC format.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Richard M S said:
It has a release date of October 8 2013? I agree something seems off, however I hope it turns out to be the first of many MGM Musicals to be released via the WAC format.
Yes, if I had been asked to guess what the first MGM musical would be to come through Warner Archive, I would immediately have said The Unsinkable Molly Brown. Victor/Victoria would have been my second guess. Jumbo would have been way down the line of guesses.

But I can't say I'm not happy about the choice or that it revives my hope that the Archive Blu-ray program is finally getting up to speed.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Jimmy Durante: "Here Comes Lulu"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 105

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks