What's new

Enough Said Quick Review (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Caught this tonight. This and Blue Jasmine may be my favorite films of the year thus far. This is a smart, subtle comedy that takes on the older audience issue of finding love a second time around. Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini turn in fantastic performances that you completely buy. This is a nearly pitch perfect bittersweet comedy that really hit the spot.

The short banter between Dreyfus and Gandolfini was great, but what really got me about this movie is how effectively they used silence and non-verbals to communicate exactly the way characters felt. There were a lot of great subtle zingers, but the I worry people will think of this as a romantic comedy. That title doesn't really fit what this film is and it will be very hard to put a film like this in a specific box and say 'oh, that is what it is'.

No matter what it is, it is exceptional.

Solid A

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm really looking forward to this one and it just started today so I hope to catch it here shortly. I'm not a "fan" of Gandolfini but I'm certainly interested to see him trying something a bit different with this role. The trailer looks excellent so I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

I walked out of another great movie (THE SPECTACULAR NOW) last week and as with JASMINE, STORIES WE TELL and 20 FEET FROM STARDOM, it's sometimes depressing because you want to go out and tell everyone how great these movies are but then you realize that the appeal of these great movies will be small and most simply won't be interested in them.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I really enjoyed this, though I must say James Gandolfini's first appearance made me a bit teary-eyed. I've never been a fan of Julia Louis-Dreyfus, but thought she was effectively restrained and subtle here. The banter between their characters felt natural, even when it becomes barbed. I also thought the interplay between Eva (Julia), her daughter, and her friend provided an interesting subplot. And the wonderful Catherine Keener always seems to inhabit her character.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It was bittersweet to finally check out "Enough Said", James Gandolfini's last film. Overall, quite a human story about getting back on the saddle for divorced people facing the "empty nest" scenario (kids about to go off the college), and swimming in the dating pool. Do our faults and foibles define us in a good light or bad light as prospective life mates?

Well paced script, with fine performances all-around.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw this a few weeks ago and thought it was quite good. Dreyfus and Gandolfini are always good so it's no surprise that they nail it here too.

I'm happy to see that it's been playing at my local multiplex for a couple weeks since smaller movies usually get a one week engagement (or if they're lucky, a second week with only two shows a day) and then they're dropped.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'll go *** 1/2.

As someone who watches quite a bit of movies, it's rather refreshing to see a film that's actually grounded and features real humans doing real things not just acting like a bunch of idiots in idiotic scenarios. This film has been released for quite a while now so I was shocked to show up at an early screening and find at least thirty people in there. Hopefully more will be able to see it once it hits DVD. The entire cast was very good but there's no question that Gandolfini stole the movie and perhaps a Best Supporting Actor nomination. I really thought he was charming and that bear like quality really worked here and especially with the humor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks