Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What was your first TV Show Box Set?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 of 43 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted September 28 2013 - 01:57 PM

First set was Mary Tyler Moore Season 1.Have been hooked on Tv on Dvd since.

MTM was my first set, too. I think it was "one" of the first "vintage" TV shows on DVD to hit the market. Sanford and Son comes to mind, too. Does anyone know what the first season set was?

MTM wasn't even one of my favorite shows, but I was just so intrigued with the idea of owning a complete season on a few discs and was anxious to jump on the DVD bandwagon so I bought it. I think it was $40 back then.

Eventually, the studios started releasing my favorite shows on DVD, so I ended up selling my MTM set to make room for my real favs.

Edited by Ron Lee Green, September 28 2013 - 04:37 PM.

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#22 of 43 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 999 posts

Posted September 28 2013 - 02:01 PM

The ex-wife picked up stuff like Stargate SG-1, X-Files, Sex and the City, etc ... back when they were first released.  I didn't really watch or care about it at the time.  I wasn't really watching television much in those days.

With that being said.  The first dvd tv season sets I picked up on my own, were the first five seasons of Numb3rs.  (I found them for $10 or $15 each, at a post-xmas sale at WalMart in early 2011).  They were largely an impulse buy.  The premise of Numb3rs sounded interesting.  (I have an engineering/math type background).  I never really watched the show previously.

More generally, I was a late bloomer to dvds and blurays.  Before 2011, I had very little to no interest in dvds and blurays.  Over most of the 2000's decade, I only owned around two dozen or so dvds.  (Mostly stuff like Star Trek movies, Cheech and Chong, Beavis and Butthead, various music concert dvds, Star Wars, Terminator, Matrix, etc ...).  Most of these dvds were rarely ever watched.

#23 of 43 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 999 posts

Posted September 28 2013 - 02:06 PM

First television on DVD, regardless of episode count was the original release of Star Trek: TOS with two episodes per disc, starting in late 1999.

I was tempted to buy those two-episode Star Trek dvd discs, back in the late 1990's.

Though after doing a mental calculation of how much it would cost to buy all 79 episodes, I decided against it due to the "sticker shock".  (IIRC, each disc was around $20 each at the time.  Occasionally I saw them for $15 on sale).

#24 of 43 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 454 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted September 28 2013 - 02:10 PM

Miami Vice.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#25 of 43 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 759 posts

Posted September 28 2013 - 04:08 PM

I bought a few series on VHS before dvd came out, and still have my set of Twin Peaks, 

"V" the original mini series and the final battle.   On DVD, Star Trek TNG was for sure

an early purchase.

#26 of 43 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,777 posts

Posted September 28 2013 - 06:32 PM

I was tempted to buy those two-episode Star Trek dvd discs, back in the late 1990's.

Though after doing a mental calculation of how much it would cost to buy all 79 episodes, I decided against it due to the "sticker shock".  (IIRC, each disc was around $20 each at the time.  Occasionally I saw them for $15 on sale).

My recollection was $12.00 per disc from one of the bigger internet retailers, but it may have been more.  That was too many beers ago to remember. :)

- Walter.

Edited by Walter Kittel, September 28 2013 - 06:32 PM.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#27 of 43 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 999 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 08:25 AM

My recollection was $12.00 per disc from one of the bigger internet retailers, but it may have been more.  That was too many beers ago to remember. :)

- Walter.

Even at $12 per disk, the sticker shock would have still been too high for me.  Assuming 79 episodes distributed over 40 two-episode discs, getting all the episodes would have cost around $480.

In hindsight, I'm glad I never picked up any of the TOS dvds over the years.  Around a month ago, I picked up the three TOS seasons on bluray for $30 per season.  At $30 a pop, it was too hard to resist.

#28 of 43 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 08:38 AM

S1 of MTM was my first purchase as well in late 2002. I paid $46 for it but didn't think it especially pricey at the time since the Columbia House videos had been $25 for four episodes only. It wasn't my favorite show by a long shot either and I really wished it had been Bewitched, Maude or The Golden Girls released instead. Sanford and Son was released that August, Mary came out in September.

In 2003 I remember buying S1 of Charlie's Angels the day it was released (to coincide with the movie sequel with Demi Moore--ugh!). Later that year I bought the first seasons of Three's Company, Will & Grace and the 'test' single-disc of Designing Women. I also purchased a General Mills cereal box giveaway with 2 later episodes of The Donna Reed Show off eBay.

For me, the DVD market didn't get really good until 2005-06 when a lot of my favorites hit the stores (Bewitched, Hazel, Family Affair, Jeannie, Brady, Alice, Roseanne, Petticoat, Police Woman, etc.)

Edited by Kasey, September 29 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#29 of 43 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,171 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 29 2013 - 10:27 AM

I bought a few series on VHS before dvd came out, and still have my set of Twin Peaks...

I hadn't even thought about VHS but I also had the Twin Peaks set and all of the best-of The Simpsons and The X-Files tapes that they released in the mid to late 1990's.

#30 of 43 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,633 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 09:09 PM

For me, it was THE AVENGERS '67 SET 1, containing 2 discs of a handful of chronological color episodes. Getting John Steed and Emma Peel on a durable video format was one of the primary reasons I bought my first DVD player.

At the time (1999/2000), other than Paramount's STAR TREK: TOS discs, A&E Home Video seemed to be one of the very few R1 DVD companies working to eventually get vintage series out in both chronological order and towards completion, albeit in little 2-disc slipcases, rather than 'Best of' samplers that were prevalent at that time, before the big TV-on-DVD boom... notably, the complete chronological runs of MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS, THE PRISONER and THUNDERBIRDS... though with THE AVENGERS, A&E started with color Emma Peel episodes, then jumped back to do her black & white episodes, then more back-and-forth for the Linda Thorson and pre-Peel black and white episodes.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#31 of 43 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted October 01 2013 - 01:40 PM

I bought the Star Blazers box set on VHS back in 2000. That may be the first. The first year I bought a DVD player (2001) was also the year I was reviewing anime TV series on DVD for a magazine and I believe the first complete series I received and reviewed was Street Fighter II-V (1995). It wasn't a box set, though, but separate DVD volumes released a few weeks apart. I got the Star Blazers Series 2 DVD box set in 2003, so that might have been the first series I got on DVD. (It was a separate series from the first Star Blazers and not actually a second season. There would be a third series years later.)

American TV? I don't remember. I'm not sure I ever got a complete set of any American TV show, other than the Dragnet 1960s series, which I picked up within the last couple of years. But because Japanese animated series are usually short and planned that way (12 eps., 26 eps., 52 eps., etc.), I have tons of box sets of those. And the U.S. distributors of those have often, esp. in recent years, made those series available in box sets, often priced very conveniently. 

Edited by Vic Pardo, October 02 2013 - 07:19 AM.

#32 of 43 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,312 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 02 2013 - 02:06 AM

Cassette tape - PBS Star Wars for Radio Drama Series

VHS - Godfather Trilogy

DVD - Star Trek TNG season 1

Blu-Ray - Twilight Zone Definitive Edition

#33 of 43 OFFLINE   Walsh61

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted October 02 2013 - 04:24 AM

Probably The Best Of The Johnny Cash TV Show around 2007. I didn't really get excited or interested in collecting TV Shows on DVD until some old favorites like McHale's Navy and The Fugitive became available around the same time as Cash's show did. Since then I've bought quite a few.

#34 of 43 OFFLINE   gruagach

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 08:29 AM

It was either The World at War or The Outer LImits...or Time Tunnel.

#35 of 43 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 07:08 AM

If you go by single season sets, it was The Twilight Zone, the Definitive Series, Season One.  If you go by complete TV series it was The Man From U.N.C.L.E.  It came in an attache case box reminicent of the one from the show.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#36 of 43 OFFLINE   rkofan87

rkofan87

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 08:04 PM

My first boxed set was season one of TNG.

this.

• Ockeghem likes this

#37 of 43 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted October 12 2013 - 10:35 PM

The first TV set that I purchased was either SANFORD AND SON Season 1 or the first season of BOSTON LEGAL. 

Not sure which was first.

#38 of 43 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted October 28 2013 - 07:37 PM

I finally sprung for the Charlie's Angels box set on Amazon the other day. Not too many shows have came out in box set form that I'm interested in and the ones I am aren't affordable at the moment.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#39 of 43 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,271 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 28 2013 - 07:54 PM

A one-disc compilation of Twilight Zone episodes was among the first batch of DVDs I bought.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#40 of 43 OFFLINE   Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 22 2013 - 06:47 PM

My very first TV DVD box set was 1st & Ten TCS, which I purchased back in 2006. My first BIG TV Box set was Ally McBeal TCS, which I purchased in early 2010. :)

The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users