What's new

Oppo announces BDP-103D with DarbeeVision (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oppo has just unveiled a new version of their well regarded BDP-103 Blu-ray player, now featuring built-in DarbeeVision processing.

DarbeeVision Licenses Visual Presence to World Class Blu-ray Maker
OPPO Digital's BDP 103D - World's First Darbee Visual Presence Enabled Blu-ray Player

SANTA ANA, CA--(Marketwired - Sep 16, 2013) - As a major licensing win for home entertainment system products, DarbeeVision, Inc., a pioneer in the field of digital image enhancement, has licensed its Visual Presence™ technology to Mountain View-based OPPO Digital for their Model 103D Blu-ray player. The 103D will provide Visual Presence image enhancement processing in real time, adding Darbee Visual Presence depth, clarity and realism to any video content -- resulting in an unparalleled viewing experience for HD and upscaled HD to 4K video. The first public demonstration of the 103D will be at DarbeeVision's booth #2366, at the CEDIA Expo in Denver, Colorado, Sept. 25-28, 2013. This exciting showcase of the new Blu-ray player will run the duration of the show, and will feature HD and upscaled 4K displayed video content.
OPPO's products are recognized for their high quality workmanship and performance. Their design approach focuses on the creation of a superior Blu-ray player viewing experience that delivers high value, cutting edge technologies and innovative features -- making them a natural fit to partner with DarbeeVision. "Being selected by OPPO as their new feature is a wonderful confirmation that we provide a high value video enhancement technology. We know that the OPPO platform provides unparalleled image fidelity for a Blu-ray player. Being associated with their 103 Model Blu-ray player system, at the pinnacle of home theater fidelity, guarantees that our processing is being seen at its best," says DarbeeVision, president and COO, Larry Pace. "We are certain that the 103D will produce an un-paralleled viewing experience."
The BDP-103 Darbee Edition (BDP-103D) is the latest addition to OPPO's award-winning line of Blu-ray Disc™ players. Based on the successful OPPO BDP-103 player and aided by Darbee Visual Presence (DVP) technology, the BDP-103D takes home theater beyond accuracy and brings exceptional depth and realism to the visual experience. Just like the BDP-103, the BDP-103D reproduces video from DVD, Blu-ray, media files, and streaming services with accuracy and fidelity. Beyond that, thanks to the patented DVP technology, the BDP-103D can embed stereoscopic depth cues into the video and deliver an enhanced image when the user turns on one of the three Darbee enhancement modes. The changes made to the video are adjustable so that the result can range from being very subtle to very noticeable, and the DVP technology analyzes the video in real time and enhances visual depth and detail in such a way that it does not alter the calibration of the home theater system. The BDP-103D unifies the often conflicting goals of an ideal home theater: reference quality accuracy to express the filmmaker's original intent, and tweaks to suit the viewer's personal tastes.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
Integrated Darbee and 4k upscaling. It didn't take me long to decide to order one from from Gregg Loewen (HTF Administrator) and his business Lion Audio/Visual. FedEx has it on its way.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joe,

Very much interested in what your impressions are of the new Oppo player.
Anyone who owns an Oppo understands that you get what you pay for when
you shell out $500-$600 for one of these players. I have owned an Oppo for two
years now and would never consider going back to a $200 or less Blu-ray player.

I had the chance to see the BDP-103 in person. Met with the company's CTO,
Jason Laio, who was very gracious.

I was quite impressed with the visual enhancements of the DarbeeVision technology.
When you watch the YouTube video -- hopefully in full HD mode -- you will hopefully
see the enhancements in picture detail that I had seen.

All this being said, I do have one concern and I thought I would leave it to this
community to help me understand the need for this technology to be integrated
with a Blu-ray player...

When you a movie on Blu-ray, you expect it is exactly tuned to what the director
wants it to look like. Colors, detail and everything that you see is exactly what has
been intended. In essence, it is perfect out of the box.

By using this technology, aren't you manipulating and changing that vision into
something that shouldn't be tweaked in the first place?

Now, I need to be careful about the question I am asking here because my intent
is not to point fingers at Oppo or DarbeeVision for doing something "unholy" to the
format. I just never had the opportunity to ask their representatives why they would
want to incorporate this kind of enhancing technology into a format that produces
what should be perfection out of the box.

If my understanding is that you could also feed a satellite/cable signal through the
Oppo BDP-103. In that case, I can understand the advantage of being able to enhance
the picture detail.

Really, I wish we had more time to spend with Jason at the show. There were other
people waiting to speak with him. Our schedule was very tight. I am very excited about
the potential of what this player can do, but I am also somewhat skeptical about attempting
to manipulate anything the director has intended not be further tweaked.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
Ron, I've been using a Darbee with my current projector for both satellite TV and Blu-rays. I usually keep the Darbee set at HD between 40% to 50%. I find that it "lifts the veil" and improves the image.

Whether I'm seeing something that the director did not intend, or seeing something (that was compressed to fit onto a Blu-ray) more closely reproducing the original is for others to judge.

My Oppo BDP-103D should arrive on Friday.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joe, please keep us updated on your new player.

It will be the first review on this forum that we have seen.

Best of luck with it.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
The 103D arrived late yesterday afternoon. I did not have much time to play with it. I liked the fast load time, and the picture (with no processing) looked very good.

I picked a Blu-ray at random, Yes Man with Jim Carrey. One scene has him in the foreground wearing a jacket with small checks. The checked material looked blurry. I used the Darbee function, set at HD 50%, and the jacket became a lot sharper, as did buildings in the background. At that setting, I saw no negative effects of Darbee processing. The way the picture looks a bit sharper is almost like using your projector in a bit darker room.

I won't have a chance to see 3D, and how Darbee's processing affects it, for a few weeks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Joe Bernardi said:
The 103D arrived late yesterday afternoon. I did not have much time to play with it. I liked the fast load time, and the picture (with no processing) looked very good.

I picked a Blu-ray at random, Yes Man with Jim Carrey. One scene has him in the foreground wearing a jacket with small checks. The checked material looked blurry. I used the Darbee function, set at HD 50%, and the jacket became a lot sharper, as did buildings in the background. At that setting, I saw no negative effects of Darbee processing. The way the picture looks a bit sharper is almost like using your projector in a bit darker room.

I won't have a chance to see 3D, and how Darbee's processing affects it, for a few weeks.
Joe,

Keep us updated as I have 103 and 93 players, but I've been intrigued by the 103D player. I'm thinking of taking my 103 from my main HT and replacing it with the 103D then taking the 103 to my bedroom HT to replace the 93.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joe,

I echo what Robert has said above. I will eventually be looking at another Oppo.

Orbitron

Auditioning
Real Name
Barney
Joe, 2 things to try - after you've set the Darbee, turn it off and raise the sharpness on your projector and see how how close the image comes. What is the effect of Darbee with non Blu-ray discs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks