What's new

Parenthood Season 5 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
We're off to the races with another season of Parenthood. Anyone want to guess what crazy zany career Lauren Graham has this year? Will the bartender/playwright/author/photographer find a new thing this year? :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I really don't care, and I can't believe NBC has given up on their Thursday night line-up by putting Parenthood in the 10-spot. They should have just ended this show last season.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
They should have just ended this show last season.
Or maybe the season before that! ;)

:laugh:

But I'll be giving it another try this year. After all, I gotta get my Lauren Graham fix...

lauren-graham-23.jpg

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The comments here may wind up being more entertaining than the show! Still, I'll see how things go this season.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Harried, hit-upon Building Super.Did like the Amber/Drew scene. And the proposal worked for me ( even if it was one of their patented 'home-runs').But bad Jasmine has returned.And was anyone else freaked out watching Crosby drive - head constantly turned, both hands off of the wheel

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just got around to watching this episode.
David Weicker said:
Harried, hit-upon Building Super.
And yet no explanation of how that ever happened. Watching her destroy the smoke detector, though, was both appropriate and entertaining!
Did like the Amber/Drew scene. And the proposal worked for me ( even if it was one of their patented 'home-runs').
I liked Amber/Drew, too. But the proposal? Meh. You just know this is a relationship that doesn't have the slightest chance of success. The writers are trying to make it easy on themselves. Conflict between Amber & Sarah, too!
But bad Jasmine has returned.
C'mon, David. She never really left. :laugh: I'd be amazed if anyone really thought they'd have her change her stripes.
And was anyone else freaked out watching Crosby drive - head constantly turned, both hands off of the wheel
O...M...G! YES!!!!! I was totally sure he was going to rear-end someone of run into a stop-sign or something. Too funny!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
Drew proposed to Amber? This show has become quite sick since I dumped it.
:laugh: No, no, no.

Drew and Amber has a nice scene together (as did Adam & Crosby)...but there was a separate (but related) proposal scene.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
ADAM PROPOSED TO CROSBY?!

And then the adopted kid (don't remember the name) became the Dodger's top prospect. :laugh:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
ADAM PROPOSED TO CROSBY?!

And then the adopted kid (don't remember the name) became the Dodger's top prospect. :laugh:
Yes...and yes.

Many shows are taking on a gay marriage storyline this season and this was how Parenthood decided to roll.

And, you were close about the other storyline...except instead of being a top prospect, that young man adopted by Joel and Julia now goes by the name of Yasiel Puig. :thumbsup:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It took me three days to get around to watching this, which says something about how far this show has fallen.I was pretty much with this episode, until Kristina decided to run for mayor of Berkeley despite literally no name recognition, never having held public office before, and never serving in a political capacity higher than speechwriter. We're talking about an affluent city with a population of more than 110,000 people. To put it into perspective, the current real-life mayor of Berkeley had spent twenty years in the state legislature before running for mayor.As someone who grew up in a family that was heavily involved in small town politics, the whole development just reeks. The only realistic outcome would be for her to come in fifth with 1 percent of the vote, but that wouldn't be dramatic enough and I just know they'll want to give the cancer survivor a victory. Even if she doesn't win the election, she'll do implausibly well.
David Weicker said:
Harried, hit-upon Building Super.
It was actually nice to see Sarah working in a realistic job for her situation again.
And was anyone else freaked out watching Crosby drive - head constantly turned, both hands off of the wheel
I was thinking the same thing during that scene! About mid-way through I started counting the seconds between glances at the road in front of him.
Mike Frezon said:
I liked Amber/Drew, too. But the proposal? Meh. You just know this is a relationship that doesn't have the slightest chance of success. The writers are trying to make it easy on themselves. Conflict between Amber & Sarah, too!
When Amber gave him the speech about not making the same mistakes her mother did, and how she can't prop him up if he's unwilling or unable to prop himself up, that should have been the last time we saw that character.And while reservists certainly do get called up, the fact that they put him back serving overseas tells me that they have no idea who the character is outside of being a service member. I actually didn't mind the Jasmine/Crosby storyline this week. Crosby not immediately bonding with his daughter and the guilt and fear that comes with that stuck me as a very real thing. I also thought that Crosby reacting to life with a tiny baby was something that the show had to delve into, given that he wasn't around when Jabar was little. I was happy the show didn't play up the dramatics of a premature birth, and I was glad the birth of the baby didn't eat up the whole season premiere.At the end, when Crosby was still keeping up with Jasmine after days of hell, it was nice to see her acknowledge that yes he's in the trenches with her and that no, Jabar wasn't this fussy as a newborn. I thought the scene where she agreed to let the baby be just a Braverman was hugely important. Not because I necessarily have a problem with couples that hyphenate their children's surnames, but because it's a statement of intention on her part that she's not going to go down the road she went down with Jabar. Crosby is this baby's father, and he's got an equal say in her upbringing.That being said, I think Jasmine's kept her streak of terrible baby names alive. Aida isn't "Jabar" bad, but it's certainly not great.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, bad name. The kids will have fun too much fun with it.Aida cheeseburgerAida ham sandwichAida ice cream cone

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Adam Lenhardt said:
I was pretty much with this episode, until Kristina decided to run for mayor of Berkeley despite literally no name recognition, never having held public office before, and never serving in a political capacity higher than speechwriter. We're talking about an affluent city with a population of more than 110,000 people. To put it into perspective, the current real-life mayor of Berkeley had spent twenty years in the state legislature before running for mayor.
I don't know what's more implausible...Kristina running for mayor, or a guy who couldn't even win the vote for councilman running for mayor.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Talk about an idea coming straight out of the ether.

They might have done better to have Jon Lovitz "translate" Kristina's announcement to Adam that she would be running for mayor.

"Yeah. That's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna run for mayor. That's the ticket."

I wonder what would even motivate her character to put the thought of running for mayor into her head. Is there some "single issue" she thinks needs fixing?

Such a radical hit-the-brakes-hard-and-turn-left moment would usually be ascribed to Sarah Braverman. To have it come from Kristina is really off-the-rails.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Mike Frezon said:
Talk about an idea coming straight out of the ether.

They might have done better to have Jon Lovitz "translate" Kristina's announcement to Adam that she would be running for mayor.

"Yeah. That's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna run for mayor. That's the ticket."

I wonder what would even motivate her character to put the thought of running for mayor into her head. Is there some "single issue" she thinks needs fixing?

Such a radical hit-the-brakes-hard-and-turn-left moment would usually be ascribed to Sarah Braverman. To have it come from Kristina is really off-the-rails.
Up until that moment, I thought: ok, she's going to go back and be a campaign manager, and at least there is a history of that. This would be like James Carville or Karl Rove suddenly running for President because they've managed a campaign. It was ridiculous. I kept thinking of Modern Family's political race where Clare ran for city council and got stomped because she had no real experience, and thought: she aimed for a lower office and was destroyed, and that was probably closer to the truth then this nonsense

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
At least the writers gave Claire a "pet peeve" to give her cred as a one issue candidate: the need for a stop sign at the intersection near her home.

Those were some damn funny episodes of Modern Family. Especially that town hall meeting when everything that came out of Phil's mouth was wrong and ended up on the internet. :laugh:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The Christina storyline is laughably bad. I mean, incredibly bad. I've worked as a campaign contractor in multiple races.. from state races to house of rep & senate races. I've seen house races not get the kind of campaign up and going out of the gate that Christina swarms into her house before she even announces. The level of interviewing going on is insane for a Mayoral job in a town that isn't LA, NY, Chicago, Dallas, etc. a major metro. We're talking a smaller market .. she hasn't even made her way through a primary. They are setting up a war room out of unknown money.. which is even crazier that she can hire all this campaign staff when the last few years all we've had is stress over the cost of their son and worries about how they'd pay for a child to go to college since they cashed in savings while Adam didn't have work..

Suddenly they have tons of wealth to mount a campaign that rivals a federal race war-room.

I will add "family financial stress" plotline as another one that died, which goes into the list that contains: Author with a future, Zeke's land deal gone bad and potentially about to bankrupt him, the Kitchenette not making enough money... we're just racking them up.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess everyone was underwhelmed with this week's episode. :laugh:

At least the writers acknowledged the connection between the (Adam) Braverman's financial situation and Kristine's campaign costs. And, Hank called out Sarah for not being taken seriously because she has only had 15 different occupations since the show went on the air. :biggrin:

But I am here tonight to report that I just watched an episode of Friends from Season 3--which aired in 1996--which featured a ten-year-old Mae Whitman! I never recognized. I only caught it was her in the closing credits. Mae is 25 now. She played a "Brown Bird Scout" whose leg was broken accidentally by Ross so he had to try to sell all her cookies so she could attend Space Camp. The episode was "The One Where Rachel Quit her Job."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks