#1 of 26 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted September 26 2013 - 04:26 PM

Premieres tonight on NBC

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 26 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,211 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 26 2013 - 06:20 PM

I didn't laugh a lot, but it sure did make me smile and sometimes I need a smile more than a laugh. The "uplifting" video by the daughter -- who I remember as one of the Gods on "Joan of Arcadia" -- was a little puke-inducing, but I enjoyed the rest of it. It's not exactly groundbreaking television, but Michael J. Fox knows how to carry a sitcom and his charm still goes a long way.

Haven't watched the second episode yet.

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 756 posts

Posted September 26 2013 - 07:25 PM

I'm really on the fence with this sitcom so far. While I enjoy most things Michael J. Fox and like him personally, the show just has not clicked with me at all. For me, I don't feel the quality of the show in general or the writing is that good and a little surprised he would return to TV unless it was. Still, I'm going to give it a chance just because of him, otherwise I'm not so sure.

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,420 posts

Posted September 26 2013 - 07:52 PM

Being handicapped myself, I've been supporting this show as "activist", but that's not the same thing as being hooked on it as a show--

Fox can bring anything off with charm, but it has to come down to the writing.

Maybe I'll watch the second episode next week, but I'm more of the after-the-fact Netflix/Hulu type.

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted September 26 2013 - 08:47 PM

NBC has an interesting thing going on this year.  They have Ironside, in which an able body man plays a disabled person.   Then they have the Michael J Fox show, where Fox, who does have Parkinsons plays someone with Parkinsons.  The problem is, from my watch of the episodes that the show just doesn't really click and the parkinsons jokes at a continuous rate definitely don't help

trakt.tv

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   spshultz

spshultz

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted September 27 2013 - 05:53 AM

I enjoyed the first episode and I laughed a few times.  However the second episode struck me as kind of weird or off putting and I can't quite put my finger on why.  But, by the end it kind of pulled itself together again.  I'll give this one a shot just because it's Michael J. Fox.

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,649 posts

Posted September 28 2013 - 10:09 PM

I couldn't get into it.  I had high hopes for this, and 'The Crazy Ones' but I'm just not connecting with them.  I may give this show another chance but it just felt sort of clunky, and forced. 

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,435 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 07:43 AM

The show strains for laughs and doesn't know what it wants be. The confessionals seem tacked on and unnecessary.

A show like this needs to be waaay sharper, waaay more pointed, and waaay funnier. Right now, it's just a shaggy dog story of a sitcom.

Edited by Hanson, September 29 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 756 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 01:25 PM

I couldn't get into it.  I had high hopes for this, and 'The Crazy Ones' but I'm just not connecting with them.  I may give this show another chance but it just felt sort of clunky, and forced. 

You're not alone in that feeling, I too have not connected with either of those shows. I'm going to hang on a bit longer, but after a few more without improements will be it for me.

#10 of 26 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 02 2013 - 03:11 AM

I really enjoyed the pilot, and had me laughing like I did during the Big Bang Theory pilot. It was zany and well produced. Well it sustain itself? Is a comedy based on Fox's Parkinsons good for more than a few eipisodes? Can I continue to enjoy a comedy about vaguely wealthy people who live and enjoy the heart of NYC? I don't know. Im Looking forward to the second episode.

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 02 2013 - 09:03 AM

I really enjoyed the pilot, and had me laughing like I did during the Big Bang Theory pilot. It was zany and well produced. Well it sustain itself? Is a comedy based on Fox's Parkinsons good for more than a few eipisodes? Can I continue to enjoy a comedy about vaguely wealthy people who live and enjoy the heart of NYC? I don't know. Im Looking forward to the second episode.

Yeah that whole "vaguely wealthy" unhinges it for me as well. 

If this had been done with a spin of "some small city" and "had to go back to work" it would resonate more. Cause there are people with Parkinson's who do work...and aren't resorting to Walmart greeter.

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   McPaul

McPaul

Screenwriter

• 1,684 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted October 02 2013 - 04:44 PM

I'm really rooting for Michael personally, but this show was not funny at all. I'd like to support him but can't bear to watch another show.

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 07:46 PM

Tonights episode for me was a trainwreck.   Really not funny and it seemed as though the timing was way off

trakt.tv

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 756 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 03:24 AM

It's not at all the "vaguely wealthy" thing that bothers me. Anyone with a family where there are two incomes from well educated people would provide a lifestyle like that. So, that's more a common reality that's not off the mark. For me, it's just the whole show in general. The concept just doesn't seem that good and the scripts I have found very lacking compared to anything Fox has done in the past.

Just to watch Fox I will continue a bit longer, but most likely done with a couple more and call it done for me.

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 08:56 AM

The lifestyle is vaguely wealthy.

Two of my friends are both junior attorney's in a law firm. Their combined $250k income wouldn't touch the lifestyle in this show.

Network reporters don't make that much.

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 756 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 02:03 PM

The lifestyle is vaguely wealthy.

Two of my friends are both junior attorney's in a law firm. Their combined $250k income wouldn't touch the lifestyle in this show.

Network reporters don't make that much.

You miss the concept of how the show started. He was a star network reporter before he quit work due to his health. I took it to mean he was a competator to someone like Matt Lauer, given their ribbing each other on the first show to setup his character. In real life Lauer makes around 25 million/year, but it was reported cut due to their ratings on the Today show. No one knows for sure, but assuming even the reported $15 million/year is nothing to sneeze at. So, assuming Fox's character is like a Matt Lauer typer or close to, you have a single income of several million easy.

In any case just a TV show, I really hadn't thought eather way if real or not.

Edited by Jeffery_H, October 04 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 02:13 PM

I must have missed the Lauer equal of the career status.

I took it he was the (which I missed using this word) local NY reporter. Not a national reporter.

National...sure.

Local? Hell no.

However, hardly the only show to show better living arrangements than the reality of the purported job. (Penny on BBT being another)

#18 of 26 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 13,881 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 03:04 AM

He's the top anchor in the NYC NBC affiliate (and rubs elbows with Matt Lauer, and considers him a professional competitor) , so I assume he's affluent. He's in a well appointed apartment a minutes walk from 30 Roc, and is paying for his sisters ground-level apartment in the same building.

I enjoyd the second episode. It was silly, and Mikes reactions to his pretty upstairs neighbor were over the top, but I'm having a good time with the show.

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   John Lee_275604

John Lee_275604

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 05:39 AM

I must have missed the Lauer equal of the career status.

I took it he was the (which I missed using this word) local NY reporter. Not a national reporter.

National...sure.

Local? Hell no.

However, hardly the only show to show better living arrangements than the reality of the purported job. (Penny on BBT being another)

If Greg Kelly got royalties from The Soup, maybe.

tumblr_mavvaqzUmV1qhqvn9o1_500.jpg

Edited by John Lee_275604, October 11 2013 - 05:41 AM.

#20 of 26 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 13,881 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 04:09 PM

Episode 3, the daughter takes up photography. This show is a hoot.

"I hated it when my parents used 'Because I said so'! That's exactly what I'm going to say, when I put them in a home."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users