What's new

Michael J Fox Show (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't laugh a lot, but it sure did make me smile and sometimes I need a smile more than a laugh. The "uplifting" video by the daughter -- who I remember as one of the Gods on "Joan of Arcadia" -- was a little puke-inducing, but I enjoyed the rest of it. It's not exactly groundbreaking television, but Michael J. Fox knows how to carry a sitcom and his charm still goes a long way.Haven't watched the second episode yet.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I'm really on the fence with this sitcom so far. While I enjoy most things Michael J. Fox and like him personally, the show just has not clicked with me at all. For me, I don't feel the quality of the show in general or the writing is that good and a little surprised he would return to TV unless it was. Still, I'm going to give it a chance just because of him, otherwise I'm not so sure.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Being handicapped myself, I've been supporting this show as "activist", but that's not the same thing as being hooked on it as a show--
Fox can bring anything off with charm, but it has to come down to the writing.
Maybe I'll watch the second episode next week, but I'm more of the after-the-fact Netflix/Hulu type.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
NBC has an interesting thing going on this year. They have Ironside, in which an able body man plays a disabled person. Then they have the Michael J Fox show, where Fox, who does have Parkinsons plays someone with Parkinsons. The problem is, from my watch of the episodes that the show just doesn't really click and the parkinsons jokes at a continuous rate definitely don't help

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I enjoyed the first episode and I laughed a few times. However the second episode struck me as kind of weird or off putting and I can't quite put my finger on why. But, by the end it kind of pulled itself together again. I'll give this one a shot just because it's Michael J. Fox.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't get into it. I had high hopes for this, and 'The Crazy Ones' but I'm just not connecting with them. I may give this show another chance but it just felt sort of clunky, and forced.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The show strains for laughs and doesn't know what it wants be. The confessionals seem tacked on and unnecessary.

A show like this needs to be waaay sharper, waaay more pointed, and waaay funnier. Right now, it's just a shaggy dog story of a sitcom.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Bryan^H said:
I couldn't get into it. I had high hopes for this, and 'The Crazy Ones' but I'm just not connecting with them. I may give this show another chance but it just felt sort of clunky, and forced.
You're not alone in that feeling, I too have not connected with either of those shows. I'm going to hang on a bit longer, but after a few more without improements will be it for me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I really enjoyed the pilot, and had me laughing like I did during the Big Bang Theory pilot. It was zany and well produced. Well it sustain itself? Is a comedy based on Fox's Parkinsons good for more than a few eipisodes? Can I continue to enjoy a comedy about vaguely wealthy people who live and enjoy the heart of NYC? I don't know. Im Looking forward to the second episode.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
I really enjoyed the pilot, and had me laughing like I did during the Big Bang Theory pilot. It was zany and well produced. Well it sustain itself? Is a comedy based on Fox's Parkinsons good for more than a few eipisodes? Can I continue to enjoy a comedy about vaguely wealthy people who live and enjoy the heart of NYC? I don't know. Im Looking forward to the second episode.
Yeah that whole "vaguely wealthy" unhinges it for me as well.

If this had been done with a spin of "some small city" and "had to go back to work" it would resonate more. Cause there are people with Parkinson's who do work...and aren't resorting to Walmart greeter.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'm really rooting for Michael personally, but this show was not funny at all. I'd like to support him but can't bear to watch another show.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
It's not at all the "vaguely wealthy" thing that bothers me. Anyone with a family where there are two incomes from well educated people would provide a lifestyle like that. So, that's more a common reality that's not off the mark. For me, it's just the whole show in general. The concept just doesn't seem that good and the scripts I have found very lacking compared to anything Fox has done in the past.

Just to watch Fox I will continue a bit longer, but most likely done with a couple more and call it done for me.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The lifestyle is vaguely wealthy.Two of my friends are both junior attorney's in a law firm. Their combined $250k income wouldn't touch the lifestyle in this show.

Network reporters don't make that much.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
schan1269 said:
The lifestyle is vaguely wealthy.Two of my friends are both junior attorney's in a law firm. Their combined $250k income wouldn't touch the lifestyle in this show.

Network reporters don't make that much.
You miss the concept of how the show started. He was a star network reporter before he quit work due to his health. I took it to mean he was a competator to someone like Matt Lauer, given their ribbing each other on the first show to setup his character. In real life Lauer makes around 25 million/year, but it was reported cut due to their ratings on the Today show. No one knows for sure, but assuming even the reported $15 million/year is nothing to sneeze at. So, assuming Fox's character is like a Matt Lauer typer or close to, you have a single income of several million easy.

In any case just a TV show, I really hadn't thought eather way if real or not.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I must have missed the Lauer equal of the career status.

I took it he was the (which I missed using this word) local NY reporter. Not a national reporter.

National...sure.

Local? Hell no.

However, hardly the only show to show better living arrangements than the reality of the purported job. (Penny on BBT being another)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
He's the top anchor in the NYC NBC affiliate (and rubs elbows with Matt Lauer, and considers him a professional competitor) , so I assume he's affluent. He's in a well appointed apartment a minutes walk from 30 Roc, and is paying for his sisters ground-level apartment in the same building. I enjoyd the second episode. It was silly, and Mikes reactions to his pretty upstairs neighbor were over the top, but I'm having a good time with the show.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
schan1269 said:
I must have missed the Lauer equal of the career status.

I took it he was the (which I missed using this word) local NY reporter. Not a national reporter.

National...sure.

Local? Hell no.

However, hardly the only show to show better living arrangements than the reality of the purported job. (Penny on BBT being another)
If Greg Kelly got royalties from The Soup, maybe.

tumblr_mavvaqzUmV1qhqvn9o1_500.jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Episode 3, the daughter takes up photography. This show is a hoot.

"I hated it when my parents used 'Because I said so'! That's exactly what I'm going to say, when I put them in a home."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks