Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Big Bang Theory Season 7

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 of 127 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,875 posts

Posted May 16 2014 - 06:45 AM

Perhaps Sheldon will now travel around and have a It's a Wonderful Life experience and come back and appreciate what he has.

Sullivan's Travels becomes Sheldon's Travels?  I kind of like that idea, but I don't think they will keep him away from the core group for any substantial period of show time (i.e. multiple episodes.)  I read criticisms of the show for changing too much and not changing enough (different folks across the web), and everyone is entitled to their opinions of course, but I think the show does a decent job of keeping things dynamic and at a pace that seems credible.  

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#122 of 127 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,945 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 16 2014 - 06:59 AM

Sullivan's Travels becomes Sheldon's Travels?  I kind of like that idea, but I don't think they will keep him away from the core group for any substantial period of show time (i.e. multiple episodes.)  I read criticisms of the show for changing too much and not changing enough (different folks across the web), and everyone is entitled to their opinions of course, but I think the show does a decent job of keeping things dynamic and at a pace that seems credible.  

- Walter.

Agreed. If you take Sheldon away for any length of time, you turn this into the first half of How I Met Your Mother's final season with Marshall separated from the group. They'd have to find ways to integrate him or have at least one unconnected plot in every episode.

#123 of 127 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,657 posts

Posted May 16 2014 - 06:59 AM

Sure, I meant that historically, the series ends a season with the boys or one of the boys going off on a long trip during the summer hiatus and return as part of the season premiere. So Sheldon may be a changed man in the season premier.

#124 of 127 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,524 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 17 2014 - 08:24 AM

Perhaps Sheldon will now travel around and have a It's a Wonderful Life experience and come back and appreciate what he has.The business with Stuart was surprising and funny. But I hope he gets the store back. Though this season did show he wasn't able to compete against the other store with the obnoxious owner.

I think if Sheldon comes back and appreciates what he has, is a changed man, the show is done.  I say this even though Sheldon really pisses me off sometimes.  The core of the show is Sheldon as a self-centered, empathy challenged asshole.  If the character has changed at all since the show started, it's been microscopic.

All IMHO, of course.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#125 of 127 ONLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,763 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 17 2014 - 08:49 AM

I think if Sheldon comes back and appreciates what he has, is a changed man, the show is done.  I say this even though Sheldon really pisses me off sometimes.  The core of the show is Sheldon as a self-centered, empathy challenged asshole.  If the character has changed at all since the show started, it's been microscopic.

All IMHO, of course.

Agreed. The audience loves the characters as-is, that's why the ratings are as high as ever. If some are so annoyed by Sheldon as a character, why watch the show? Turning Sheldon into a considerate, compassionate milquetoast would be the beginning of the end.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#126 of 127 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,596 posts

Posted May 18 2014 - 08:05 AM

All IMHO, of course.

In the beginning Sheldon didn't realize he was being a self-centered a-hole and didn't know better.  What changed was Sheldon is now purposely being an a-hole because he does know better and chooses to be awful to people.  There is a big difference between a fish out of water and an insufferable d-bag.

#127 of 127 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,657 posts

Posted May 18 2014 - 09:36 AM

I recently bought the first, second and fifth seasons of TBBT at Costco as a blu-ray and DVD set combo. That is nice, wish I could get the rest of the seasons in these kinds of dual format sets. So I finally saw the pilot. I had seen the series from the beginning, but I don't think I ever saw the pilot before, plus the second and third episodes I had not seen before. I do remember for sure when they bought The Time Machine prop. So in watching the pilot and the first two episodes, Sheldon seems much much less naive and while still unable to understand sarcasm, he wasn't a jerk. Just clueless. He understands what sex is and has some good lines about Leonard trying to date Penny. And it's cool to see the cast at the beginning. Penny is so nice to the boys. While not as smart as she is now, but not empty headed. What I had forgotten about is that the series from the start focuses on Leonard wanting to marry Penny and having children. Or imaginary children as Sheldon put it. Sheldon was quite well versed with the reasoning why Leonard would agree to help Penny try to retrieve a TV from a muscular ex, or agree to help her accept a delivery of furniture they had to push up the stairs in hopes that it would lead to dating Penny. It's funny to see the early Howard and his attempts at being a ladies man. And the early Raj, I don't remember they would a voice over of Raj's thoughts as he's talking to Penny. I do remember the news bites when Sara Gilbert would guest star as Leslie. I'll enjoy watching the rest of the first season and see the cast develop. And I read there was another pilot that's different from the one directed by James Burrows and does have Penny and the Howard and Raj who are not in the original pilot.So I'm glad the series finally reached the point Penny and Leonard are engaged. But Sheldon is really different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users