What's new

Revolution Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
And Revolution becomes the first show officially dropped from my DVR
Now it may just be that a season of "Under the Dome" has greatly boosted my tolerance for shitty television, but I thought tonight's premiere was a massive improvement over last season. The world felt a lot grittier and more lived in, the focus of the storytelling shifted away from Charlie to the best actors on the show, the dialog felt sharper, and the science has gotten genuinely weird.It's still more of a swashbuckling adventure than a realistic portrayal of a post-apocalyptic world, but within that framework, I thought it got a lot closer to the kind of world I imagined from the preview for season one.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I was with it, though I thought the opening wave of why they turned the power back off was silly and too fast, but

The moment the fireflies brought Aaron back from the dead as a near supernatural moment I thought: WTF.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Re: Your spoiler. I did too, but for me that was a good thing. As long as there's a grounded explanation down the road, and they don't start treating the nanobots as magic.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I could think that would be true, too adam.. and was willing until the preview for next week

When they tell him he was dead for 2 1/2 hours. Don't care about nanobots no amount of science can solve 2.5 hours of brain death. Now you're in supernatural land.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
mattCR said:
And Revolution becomes the first show officially dropped from my DVR
Looks like you're not the only one. From EW.com:

Revolution had 6.8 million viewers and a 1.8 adults 18-49 rating. That’s down 56 percent from its series premiere, and a bit lower than what the show averaged at the end of last season, as well. Revolution also came in behind ABC comedies, CBS’ Survivor and Fox’s The X Factor.

Fourth place in its timeslot (it only finished ahead of a repeat of CW's Arrow).

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't think you should put much stock into premiere week numbers in today's world (although short-sided Network executives might). With DVR usage / On Demand / Streaming options so high, and so many new shows up against each other, overnight ratings are VERY inaccurate.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Watching the first season. I used to always wonder how they could form new "countries" without power for communications. Then I remembered up until 150+ years ago. We had this and other countries and we all survived without it. A friend who is into history told me that back then. local government officials had more power to deal with issues. Since it would take so long to get an answer from a central gov.

On this same note. Can you imagine the first few weeks or months of this happening. People would just be waiting around thinking it will get repaired and be back to normal. Having no idea at first how far the power outage was global.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The drop is not a huge shocker. Last season, "Revolution" had mega-hit "The Voice" as its lead-in. As long as the bleeding doesn't get much worse, NBC is probably not unhappy with those numbers. More importantly, having it as a lead-in boosted the numbers for the two-hour premiere of "Law & Order: SVU".

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Adam Lenhardt said:
Now it may just be that a season of "Under the Dome" has greatly boosted my tolerance for shitty television, but I thought tonight's premiere was a massive improvement over last season. The world felt a lot grittier and more lived in, the focus of the storytelling shifted away from Charlie to the best actors on the show, the dialog felt sharper, and the science has gotten genuinely weird.It's still more of a swashbuckling adventure than a realistic portrayal of a post-apocalyptic world, but within that framework, I thought it got a lot closer to the kind of world I imagined from the preview for season one.
I agree completely, Adam. My generally feeling regarding the first season was that it started off borderline unwatchable, but evolved in to an hour of television that i actually looked forward to watching each week.

The best thing about the show is that stuff actually happens: the plot is constantly moving forward, but never so fast that it feels rushed. Nothing drags, almost every scene does something. It's not fabulous television, but it is entertaining.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
I was with it, though I thought the opening wave of why they turned the power back off was silly and too fast, but

The moment the fireflies brought Aaron back from the dead as a near supernatural moment I thought: WTF.
No, I think most people who were thinking clearly were expecting to see what happened. It just seemed inevitable to me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That was a strong opening for Revolution. Although I'm confused why they shut the power off. I thought it was to try and stop the nukes, but if so they were too late? Was it a tragic mistake, both losing the power again and still Atlanta and Philly were destroyed?Despite the premiere's strengths, I'm left feeling take it or leave it. It's still got a season pass for TiVo, but I'm not sure if I'll keep watching.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
That was a strong opening for Revolution. Although I'm confused why they shut the power off. I thought it was to try and stop the nukes, but if so they were too late? Was it a tragic mistake, both losing the power again and still Atlanta and Philly were destroyed?
Yes, they tried to turn it off to stop the nukes, but failed. Given the strange stuff going on, however, I'm not sure they did a perfect job.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Yes, they tried to turn it off to stop the nukes, but failed. Given the strange stuff going on, however, I'm not sure they did a perfect job.
The idea was turning the guidance systems off along with the power. It looked like it all happened too fast to be effective. It could be that by the time the systems were down the nukes only had a straight trajectory to go anyway.

After that, it could be they could have turned it back on again, but they realized enough damage had already been done with the power. They didn't want to see more nukes or other wmds.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
We saw in the second episode another glimpse of what happened following the season finale. I doubt it will be our last.
It was verified that the nukes' arrival at their destination was before they could turn off the power. And then it is confusing as to what happened next.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Interesting that both "Revenge" and "Revolution" ended their previous seasons on cliffhangers, and then largely undermined the tension they created by jumping forward several months after those events. I thought it worked for "Revenge," but I would have preferred that "Revolution" picked up where it left off. Thus far I am not intrigued by the new outside threat, but I am curious to see how the attempted resurrection of the United States unfolds - as long as this does not become a platform to advance a political statement about the times we live in now.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
At least "Revolution" followed through with the setup from the prior season finale; "Revenge" dismissed most of the storylines it had set up.The show's more twisted this season, and I like that about it.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
It seems that the Revolution in the title might be against this new US government - at least for this season. I guess first season it could be said to have been against the Monroe Republic, but there wasn't that much of a visible organization.

These Patriots are one twisted group.

Aaron's new rapport with the fireflies is getting more interesting. I wonder where they are going to go with that.

It is nice that they did turn the story upside down this season. Unfortunately, I doubt we'll see much more than this season (and maybe not all of this one). At the moment TV By the Numbers gives it a "tossup" as to whether it will stick around - "at current relative ratings levels it could go either way, particularly considering the relative success of NBC dramas vs. their total sitcom failure"

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I was on the fence about this show after Season 1 but I have to say whilst there are still problems, I have enjoyed it much more and so far I like where it is heading. However, it is clearly trying to be darker (glad the nukes actually did fall), but it doesn't quite have the guts to truly go there - kill of a few characters instead of pretending to and it could prove even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks