What's new

it's 2013: recommend a player with TOSLINK optical out? (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I mention the year in the title because I have a feeling even now that I'm a dinosaur here, looking for a TOSLINK (not coaxial) optical output on a DVD player (or BR player) that's not an expensive OPPO.

Can anyone recommend a currently (2013) available player that has TOSLINK optical output?

Why do I want this obviously antiquated audio option? Because I like it, and want to use it again when my current elderly DVD player dies.

(I currently run my player into my TV via component video and into my receiver as TOSLINK, and this is the way I want it.)

Optional questions:

[*]What's the SQ difference between TOSLINK and a coaxial optical output, if any?
[/list]
[*]What am I to do if the vast majority of players today have only HDMI outputs, and I do not want to run HDMI from the player to the receiver, then out again to the TV? Any thoughts?
[/list]

Thanks for suggestions and input!

MC

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Micah Cohen said:
Optional questions:

[*]What's the SQ difference between TOSLINK and a coaxial optical output, if any?
[/list]
Coaxial outputs are not optical, for one. But in terms of the quality of signal they both carry, there is no difference. Both are inferior to HDMI, as the lossless audio formats of Blu-ray are only output via HDMI (encoded) or multichannel analog outputs (decoded by the player).

Micah Cohen said:
[*]What am I to do if the vast majority of players today have only HDMI outputs, and I do not want to run HDMI from the player to the receiver, then out again to the TV? Any thoughts?
[/list]
Probably the same thing that people with S-video connected gear have to do: EIther live with what you have, shop the used market, or consider upgrading your gear.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why not run HDMI player->AVR->TV?

Optical and digital coax are identical in their stream. They just do it different. I would not call them "inferior"...just less capable. I use DC/Opt from one of my BD players for when I play CDs. Trying to play CD over HDMI (unless it is DVD-A/SACD) is fraught with problems.

And the "loss of optical/DC" on BD players is because "the vast majority of consumers" don't need them. Out of my HDMI equipped DVD/BD players(I think 15 total) I'm "not using" HDMI on 1(and that is the only stereo in the house with no separate CD player).

What is your budget anyway(obviously non-Oppo)?

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Wow. That's a cool Panny player. S'got optical TOSLINK, too! I will have to seek that out.

Why not upgrade or change? I dunno. I have older equipment, the last Sony RPHDTV (KDS) and a pre-HDMI Denon 5.1 AVR, which all work just superbly. PQ & SQ are stellar in my system. I have no real desire to rebuy all my DVDs on BR, so I won't be doing that. DVD is fine for this dinosaur, looks and sounds incredible on my system.

To run HDMI to (a new) AVR, and then from there to the TV, don't we lose something? Don't I want my tri-color components (or an HDMI video connection) direct from the player to the TV? How do I separate V from A with nothing but an HDMI?

I guess I'm saying, I do not understand (nor approve of) this lose of connectors in favor of HDMI. I feel railroaded. Am I wrong to feel this way?

I feel more like a dinosaur than ever now. I had the FIRST Panny DVD player, which cost about $400 THEN! I'm the HT-rex! ROAR!

Thanks for bringing me up to speed with your answers and suggestions.

MC

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why not upgrade or change? I dunno. I have older equipment, the last Sony RPHDTV (KDS) and a pre-HDMI Denon 5.1 AVR, which all work just superbly. PQ & SQ are stellar in my system. I have no real desire to rebuy all my DVDs on BR, so I won't be doing that. DVD is fine for this dinosaur, looks and sounds incredible on my system.
Does your TV not have DVI? Does the AVR have 5.1 input(there is a reason I ask)?

To run HDMI to (a new) AVR, and then from there to the TV, don't we lose something? Don't I want my tri-color components (or an HDMI video connection) direct from the player to the TV? How do I separate V from A with nothing but an HDMI?
No, you don't "lose" anything. Besides that Panny has twin HDMI just in case your "fears" are realized.

I guess I'm saying, I do not understand (nor approve of) this lose of connectors in favor of HDMI. I feel railroaded. Am I wrong to feel this way?
Nope. Google..."Analog Sunset"(as it pertains to DRM/HDCP)
Just wait if HDBaseT actually starts making inroads. Technically, HDMI should never have existed.

I feel more like a dinosaur than ever now. I had the FIRST Panny DVD player, which cost about $400 THEN! I'm the HT-rex! ROAR!
I'd cry if I knew how much cash I've burned in 30+ years of this. QuadraPhonic. 3 channel surround(before "center speaker" and before AC3...things were 3 channel). 4 channel surround(when center arrived). 5 channel surround(once AC3 became DD...). SACD. DVD-A.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed with your answers and suggestions.
That is why we are here.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
In fact, the TV (Sony KDS) does NOT have a DVI connection. It does have an RGB multi-pin connector ("PC-in"). And the ancient Denon is a 5.1 AVR.

My current setup simply runs TOSLINK from the DVD player to the AVR (and then speaker wire out to the speakers) and component video from the player to the TV (skipping the AVR).

Simple!

But... doomed, apparently.

The Panny has spurred a new line of research, and I'm turning up one or two other very expensive DVD/BR players (Pioneer is one) that have TOSLINK Audio Outs.

MC

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I know your Denon is 5.1. But...

Does it have a 5.1 analog input? Might be labelled 6 channel.

Again, there is a reason I ask.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way...other "future" uses of that Denon...thanks to the 6 channel...

1. You "could" buy a pre-pro and run its outputs into it...then just turn the Denon all the way "up".
2. Use it as 2nd/3rd zone power for a receiver with zone pre-outs.
3. Use 2(or 3) of its channels in the future with another AVR to alleve the new AVR of having to run all the channels.

Granted all three are overkill for this Denon, but it means you can always use it for something.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Well, I appreciate that. I appreciate your knowledge and your suggestions.

Thanks!

The Denon is a workhorse, for sure. Over 10 yrs old, and sounds fantastic.

I will work this out some way. I was hoping not to have to spend such serious money on a new player, but if I want to keep my current setup (convenient, simple) and avoid being railroaded into HDMI by the industry it seems I might have to. The Panny does seem "future proof," which is a feature I obviously like.

I secretly think it's time I replace all my equipment (HT & Stereo), but why fix what ain't actually broke (and what works great) just because the industry has proclaimed HDMI is the way they want to go? (And because my wife proclaims that we need bluetooth?)

This industry never fails to frustrate me. I'm not the early-adopter I used to be.

MC

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I don't believe any Blu-ray player on the market today has component outputs; they all have HDMI only (for video). So, if you want to get a Blu-ray player, you'll need to get one from a few years ago. See this thread for more details:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/313761-blu-ray-player-w1080p-component-video/

If you don't need Blu-ray, any DVD player should work. If they only have coax out, you can get a cheap coax to optical converter, such as this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&seq=1&format=2

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks