Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Gotham - season 1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#161 of 174 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,761 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 02 2015 - 07:33 PM

I agree. This is one of the better ones. The portrayal of Gordon up until tonight's episode had been frustrating, because his blustery self-righteousness was so self-defeating. Tonight's episode saw the birth of Gordon the political operator, who has to walk the tightrope between keeping his morals clean while navigating a world of immoral characters. I also liked that Harvey was the one who undermined the case against the narc detective who was actually the drug kingpin. Harvey Bullock should always be both certain of who he is and never stray too far into black or white. He's a character that exists in the gray areas.

I also liked that Bruce deduced that Alfred's old army buddy was a spy for the Wayne Enterprises board. You see the Detective starting to emerge. In Selina Kyle, he has somebody who can find people and things that want to stay hidden. Will he make use of that resource?

Fish's storyline continues to be a carnival of the grotesque.

#162 of 174 ONLINE   Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted March 02 2015 - 10:15 PM

I liked it but not as much as last weeks. The main story with Gordon wasn't as interesting, until the outcome at the end but still good. Liked that final scene. I would like to have seen more of the Bruce/ Alfred/Wayne Enterprises story line but it's ok. The character moments were good this week.

The Fish stuff hurt this episode this week. What's the point of her gouging out her own eye so they won't blind her, only to have the Doctor replace it with another? This series can be frustrating and inconsistent. 

#163 of 174 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,080 posts

Posted March 03 2015 - 11:47 AM

Good episode, with Gordon figuring out how to play the game and come out on top.

The bit with the old woman killing husband to be the one to escape was right out of a Tim Burton movie. Fitting.

But enough of the Fish Mooney story. I'd be fine with it if that plot goes nowhere and doesn't tie into the rest of the show. Write her out of the show already.

#164 of 174 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,109 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted March 03 2015 - 11:58 AM

I liked it but not as much as last weeks. The main story with Gordon wasn't as interesting, until the outcome at the end but still good. Liked that final scene. I would like to have seen more of the Bruce/ Alfred/Wayne Enterprises story line but it's ok. The character moments were good this week.

The Fish stuff hurt this episode this week. What's the point of her gouging out her own eye so they won't blind her, only to have the Doctor replace it with another? This series can be frustrating and inconsistent. 

The idea was that Fish made it so they could not get two good eyes from her.  Within the gonzo world of the show, that constitutes relatively sound reasoning. :laugh:

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#165 of 174 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,080 posts

Posted March 06 2015 - 10:11 AM

I can't be the only one to breathe a sigh of relief upon reading this:

Jada Pinkett Smith Not Returning For Gotham Season 2

http://comicbook.com...otham-season-2/

#166 of 174 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,944 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 06 2015 - 10:59 AM

Not shocked. The show doesn't really know what to do with her lately. I feel like they're just creating situations to use her as a marketing hook.

#167 of 174 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,990 posts

Posted March 06 2015 - 11:30 AM

Time for Fish to go.

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#168 of 174 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,080 posts

Posted March 06 2015 - 11:58 AM

The problem with Fish is that we don't have any real attachment to her. I guess they figure the actress has a following and so those fans will care what happens to her, but in terms of the story, she's not very relevant. I never really saw Jada Pinkett Smith in anything, so I have no attachment to the character.

#169 of 174 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,109 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted March 06 2015 - 01:05 PM

The problem with Fish is that we don't have any real attachment to her. I guess they figure the actress has a following and so those fans will care what happens to her, but in terms of the story, she's not very relevant. I never really saw Jada Pinkett Smith in anything, so I have no attachment to the character.

The character is both an asset and a liability since she is one of the only series regulars who is not established in the Batman continuity.  If they used her better, she would be more of an asset.  Given how this season has progressed, her exit is probably for the best.

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#170 of 174 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,181 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 06 2015 - 01:39 PM

I agree, Ken. I will shed no tears over her departure. I haven't found her storylines all that interesting.

#171 of 174 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,761 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 06 2015 - 04:19 PM

I liked Fish and I thought Jada Pinkett Smith did some interesting work walking the tightrope between Eartha Kitt style scenery chewing and some more grounded undertones. That being said, the character always felt like a finite part of the show. Her purpose was to serve as an obstacle for the Penguin's ascent through the criminal underworld. This show has so many characters that we know will make it to the series finale, it's good to keep some in the mix that probably won't.

#172 of 174 ONLINE   Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted March 07 2015 - 08:47 PM

The writers didn't give Fish enough development or an interesting story, until she landed on that island and then we got some WTF moments. Her stuff was always the weakest parts of the show. I just hope they give her character some closure and not end her story on a cliffhanger.

#173 of 174 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,944 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 08 2015 - 02:22 PM

I liked Fish and I thought Jada Pinkett Smith did some interesting work walking the tightrope between Eartha Kitt style scenery chewing and some more grounded undertones. That being said, the character always felt like a finite part of the show. Her purpose was to serve as an obstacle for the Penguin's ascent through the criminal underworld. This show has so many characters that we know will make it to the series finale, it's good to keep some in the mix that probably won't.

This reminds me of Babylon 5 in a lot of ways. That show brought in "main" characters who were around for 13 episodes or so and then written out so the "major" characters always felt a sense of jeopardy. It works on a certain level, but it's not really a tactic the producers can play every single year. Once the audience catches on about what's going on, there is no emotional attachment to anyone on the screen.

#174 of 174 OFFLINE   MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 588 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted March 08 2015 - 08:31 PM

With the revelation of the face transplants last episode, combined with the news that Jada Pinkett Smith will no longer being playing the character next season, it's now clear what becomes of Fish Mooney next season: she will don the Red Hood and continue down the path of becoming the Joker.  :D 

40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users