Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Microsoft will do personalized content in XBox One

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

• 1,934 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted September 24 2013 - 07:22 PM

One of the objectives of XBox One is to make it more than just a gaming device.  With XBox 360 using the Media Center Extender option was the only option to get cable or OTA TV. 

With XBox One, the Kinect controller is turning the XBox One home entertainment option become alot more interesting.  The XBox One Kinect has significantly higher resolution both from video and from audio than it's predecessor.

What does this mean for you?  The new Xbox One will allow users to control their TV's main functionality through voice commands. And the Xbox One Interface will allow viewers to create a personalized "My Shows" section that will be unique to each person. My Shows will list content regardless of provider—in other words, you'll be able to look at what shows you have available, whether from regular TV, Netflix, VOD, iTunes, etc.

Sounds kind of interesting, but do people need something to tell them what is interesting?  If I watch Food Network and Cooking channel, what other channel is going to have something that I would be interested in? 

I guess the whole notion of having a gaming device also be a entertainment device (particularly at $500) is still a little bit of a head scratcher to me.  While I personally have a XBox 360 hooked up to five displays in the house being powered by a central, headless WMC PC, it has value to me because I have centralized storage of recorded TV and I don't have to have a STB in every room.  Since XBox One requires a STB to get cable / satellite stations, that means two devices at each TV. 

What do you think?

Kevin Collins
To View My HD Collection Click Here

#2 of 5 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,561 posts

Posted September 24 2013 - 07:57 PM

Those feature sets are useless in my case. I don't have cable, OTA or satellite. Even if I did have them I wouldn't hook my STB up thru the Xbone. It would go directly to the set or thru my receiver.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#3 of 5 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,105 posts

Posted September 26 2013 - 01:08 PM

From what I've read, it's still easier and more convenient to just use a button on a controller.  I've read about several demos (in controlled environments) where Kinect 2.0 did not work as planned.  And let's face it: is $100 over the PS4's price worth the features added to the experience from Kinect?

#4 of 5 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,198 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 26 2013 - 04:04 PM

What does this mean for you?  The new Xbox One will allow users to control their TV's main functionality through voice commands. And the Xbox One Interface will allow viewers to create a personalized "My Shows" section that will be unique to each person. My Shows will list content regardless of provider—in other words, you'll be able to look at what shows you have available, whether from regular TV, Netflix, VOD, iTunes, etc.

Sounds kind of interesting, but do people need something to tell them what is interesting?  If I watch Food Network and Cooking channel, what other channel is going to have something that I would be interested in? 

http://www.iwantptv....Suggestions.jpg

http://en.wikipedia....i/Netflix_Prize

http://www.amazon.co...nodeId=13316081

#5 of 5 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,105 posts

Posted September 27 2013 - 08:34 AM

The My Shows feature is basically already on Wii U.  If the Wii U had voice and gesture control then it would be basically the same thing.  I think looking at program guide info on the gamepad while the TV just plays the video in full screen is great.  Do I use it often?  Absolutely not, but I doubt I would WANT to pipe my cable through an Xbox One and use that to control it, either.  Especially since I'd need to run two electronic devices (power consumption, much?) and I very very very rarely have any time to just sit and browse through stuff.

It's kind of amazing that the Xbox One doesn't have DVR control (neither does Wii U, not sure either device will) since that's probably the single greatest feature people love about TV nowadays.  Who really sits down and scrolls through their guide to find something to watch anymore?

And really, looking at the Wii U vs. Xbox One in terms of TV/sports programming features, does anyone else think MS is barking up a dead tree?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users