What's new

Person of Interest Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Premieres on its new night tonight at 10/9c.When we last left off, the Machine had moved its hardware to a new and unknown location, and the shackles that Finch had put on it were removed by Root. Reese and Finch were back in New York doing what they do best, Carter had waded into murkier waters by killing a Russian mobster and saving Elias, Fusco had dodged a bullet with Stills's body, Root had been institutionalized in an asylum and Shaw was out there on the margins as unknown variable.Sarah Shahi and Amy Acker were promoted to series regulars for Season 3.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My DVR setup is able to get my CBS affiliate now, so I'm planning to time shift but will most likely stay up to watch the show anyway.

I watched the preview of Root in the asylum, and I'm looking forward to where it all leads.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Decent first episode.

Wonder how many more episodes of Root's storyline will be in the loony bin.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Nice first episode. The writers have lots of balls up in the air. I doubt they'll be playing with as many of them each episode.

It was interesting how Elias ended up benefiting so much from his information.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
NeilO said:
The writers have lots of balls up in the air.
I was about to come and post the same thought. They did an admirable job juggling all of them while keeping Reese and Finch front and center. That being said, some fared better than others. Root is as complex and enigmatic as ever, but Shaw was basically just the team's wisecracking sniper -- not as interesting as she was last season.I was wondering how they were going to explain the fact that Root hadn't escaped yet, given that she's a criminal mastermind, and I enjoyed the revelation that the Machine is keeping her there because it wants to rehabilitate her. It points to the machine again being a moral force, whatever its other designs. Her final monologue to her psychiatrist was the meatiest speech of the episode, and Acker (predictably) knocked it out of the park.
It was interesting how Elias ended up benefiting so much from his information.
Most of the episode felt pretty lightweight to me, but the reveal that Elias's henchman was the one collecting the cash and diamonds in the aftermath was the moment I knew that "Person of Interest" was really back. That's was such a wonderfully characteristic scene for the show, that one step further than other procedurals would bother to go.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The Root content was probably the most intriguing thing about the premiere episode. I'm not sure if there is more to her designation 'ANALOG INTERFACE' than a description of their interfacing method. Have to think about that.

Mostly liked the episode. I'm confident that they will get back to Shaw later in the series and expand her background. I'm really going to be disappointed if the show continues to just use Fusco for comic relief. The 'nick of time' bomb defusing felt too much like bad television and was probably the weakest element of the episode.

I did enjoy the first bar scene where everyone but Reese is fighting. Nice self-reference to every other time that Reese has entered a bar in the series. I agree that taking the next logical step and having Elias' number one retrieve the diamonds and cash was a way in which PoI distinguishes itself from other series.

I have to admit I didn't understand the Elias / Carter scene. Why was Elias not in a penitentiary cell? Missed the reason or forgot it from season two.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Walter Kittel said:
The Root content was probably the most intriguing thing about the premiere episode. I'm not sure if there is more to her designation 'ANALOG INTERFACE' than a description of their interfacing method. Have to think about that.

Mostly liked the episode. I'm confident that they will get back to Shaw later in the series and expand her background. I'm really going to be disappointed if the show continues to just use Fusco for comic relief. The 'nick of time' bomb defusing felt too much like bad television and was probably the weakest element of the episode.

I did enjoy the first bar scene where everyone but Reese is fighting. Nice self-reference to every other time that Reese has entered a bar in the series. I agree that taking the next logical step and having Elias' number one retrieve the diamonds and cash was a way in which PoI distinguishes itself from other series.

I have to admit I didn't understand the Elias / Carter scene. Why was Elias not in a penitentiary cell? Missed the reason or forgot it from season two.

- Walter.
As Carter explained in this episode, if she took Elias to prison, he would be killed either by the Russians or HR. She hasn't even told John or Harold, that Elias is out of prison and living underground.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
With regards to Root in the mental ward still. I thought she made a comment that the machine "told" her to stay there. Also, at the end when she made that comment about wondering if she should kill the doctor. They showed the machine recalculating Root and the Doctor. I wonder if the machine is starting to realize she's insane.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Good episode. Loved the stuff with Root and the machine. That stuff really elevated the episode for me.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Liked the episode but don't want to see the machine become almost a person. I liked it as a dispenser of information. That to me was believable. It shouldn't be a life coach for Root.

I agree that Fusco seems to be falling into minor character status. I hope that doesn't continue. I'm far more interested in him and Carter than Shaw and Root, over the long term. It does look like they will have plenty of opportunity with the HR story, but that story may get long in the tooth.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
stevelecher said:
Liked the episode but don't want to see the machine become almost a person. I liked it as a dispenser of information. That to me was believable. It shouldn't be a life coach for Root.

I agree that Fusco seems to be falling into minor character status. I hope that doesn't continue. I'm far more interested in him and Carter than Shaw and Root, over the long term. It does look like they will have plenty of opportunity with the HR story, but that story may get long in the tooth.
I think there is going to be another HR storyline involving Fusco and Carter this season.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
jcroy: It looks like you commented on the episode a couple of hours before it aired. How did you pull that off?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
stevelecher said:
jcroy: It looks like you commented on the episode a couple of hours before it aired. How did you pull that off?
I caught a 7pm broadcast over cable. (It was a station in the Atlantic time zone).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
schan1269 said:
7pm?

I guess he must live where he has a dual affiliated station.
To be exact, it's a feed of the CTV network serving the Atlantic time zone (AST). (The feed appears to be serving the Halifax and Fredericton areas, judging by the local "news" clips and local advertisements on the channel).

It appears what they've been doing in this AST feed with 10pm EST (Eastern Time Zone) shows, is dumping most of them into the 8pm AST (Atlantic time zone) time slot. So this season's CTV 10pm EST shows like Person of Interest, CSI, Blue Bloods, The Mentalist, etc ... are effectively on at 7pm EST through this CTV Atlantic time zone feed.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I would have thought that 10PM Eastern time would have been the earliest anyone could see the show, with a delayed broadcast to those on the west coast. Very interesting. You get the show three hours earlier than the rest of us. Thanks. No spoilers this year, please.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
jcroy said:
To be exact, it's a feed of the CTV network serving the Atlantic time zone (AST). (The feed appears to be serving the Halifax and Fredericton areas, judging by the local "news" clips and local advertisements on the channel).

It appears what they've been doing in this AST feed with 10pm EST (Eastern Time Zone) shows, is dumping most of them into the 8pm AST (Atlantic time zone) time slot. So this season's CTV 10pm EST shows like Person of Interest, CSI, Blue Bloods, The Mentalist, etc ... are effectively on at 7pm EST through this CTV Atlantic time zone feed.
Apparently there is a perk to living in Nova Scotia...(by the way, been there numerous times. Have family in Maine)

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
I agree with most of what has been said here (even the contradictory parts:). So far, POI has been my highlight of the week vs
Bones, Sleepy Hollow, Castle (and the other two 10 pm Monday shows that I've DVRed but haven't watched yet), SHIELD, Brooklyn 99,

I can't wait until Season 2 blu gets really cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks