What's new

Hostage - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hostage, new show on CBS in the Monday 10pm EDT time slot, premieres tonight.

According to the previews: Toni Collete plays a doctor about to operate on the President, and Dylan McDermott is a man doing a heinous thing (holding the doctor's family hostage so she'll kill the President on the operating table) for a greater good.

Not sure how they'll sustain the premise over the course of a season, but there you go...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It wasn't a bad start, but I get the feeling we're in for a lot of inter-personal leverage/emotional blackmail type of storytelling and filler throughout the show's run.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It got beat badly by The Blacklist and Castle, not only in the demo but also in total viewers:The Blacklist 3.8 (18-49 rating) 10% 12.62 million viewersCastle 2.2 (18-49 rating) 6% 11.48 million viewersHostages 1.8 (18-49 rating) 5% 7.48 million viewers

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I came in cold. I though it was about Dylan McDermott, an FBI hostage negotiator who would do his job very well as he released hostages week to week, in loosely organized procedural. I was very wrongWhat I got was taut and suspenseful and I liked it.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Caught it earlier tonight and liked the acting quite a bit. Some of the stronger performances that I've seen so far in the new season. I'm curious to see how the plot will develop with the delay introduced by Dr. Sanders.

- Walter.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
We finally got around to watching it last night.
POSSIBLE SPOILERS SORT OF:
There is a large potential for buckets of soap. Two angsty teenagers with drug problems, relationship problems, etc.
A philandering husband
a saintly wife (though there's a kissing scene with the kidnapper in some of the trailers.)

I'll DVR it for another week and see what we see.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Enjoyed the episode itself but have no idea how this can be sustained for a season let alone an ongoing series. Sounds more like the premise of a film.If this becomes about the family's problems I think I will be giving up very quickly and unfortunately with all the setup going on, thats what it sounds like.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to stick with this one since the horrible ratings pretty much dictate that this will be a one-off miniseries instead of season one of an ongoing series. I just hope the writers were able to see the writing on the wall before the finale, so that we get a resolution instead of a cliffhanger.Tonight's episode supposedly addresses the question of why the president doesn't just drop her for another surgeon.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm out.

Watched the second episode, and the whole time I'm thinking this would be a great 2 hr movie, but doesn't have the substance for a 22 hr show.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I sort of wished I didn't watch the "upcoming" bits from the end of last night's episode, it duly strains my incredulity. :D

NolanJ

Second Unit
The problem I have with this series is that they are trying to make the kidnappers sympathetic, when they do really rotten things. They need to just make a clear and concise stand as to who they are instead of trying to give their characters that dimension where you feel for their plight.

I have zero sympathy for any of them, except for maybe the former addict.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Anybody else stuck with this? CBS just announced they're airing the full 15 episodes and that the last two will air as a two-hour finale on January 15th.The show was about halfway through production when the awful ratings started coming in. I'm hoping the creative team saw the writing on the wall and crafted the back half of the season as a conclusion rather than building toward a cliffhanger. I'd feel like my time was better invested if this ends up as a self-contained 15 episode miniseries rather than a 15-episode first season for a show that won't have any more seasons.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Adam Lenhardt said:
Anybody else stuck with this? CBS just announced they're airing the full 15 episodes and that the last two will air as a two-hour finale on January 15th.
No, I stopped about 3 episodes in because of how the show is written. This was going to be a soap opera and not at all like I had expected. VERY poor in concept and execution.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Jeffery_H said:
No, I stopped about 3 episodes in because of how the show is written. This was going to be a soap opera and not at all like I had expected. VERY poor in concept and execution.
I pretty much felt the same way and came close to dropping it myself early on, but it got better. Things got very cutthroat on all sides a few episodes back.My main thing is that I hope the writers realize it's not coming back and give it a proper ending. There's no reason this story can't be told to completion in 15 episodes.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm kind of glad this season is coming to a close in 3 episodes. Duncan's in some deep doo-doo now...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The good news is that the writers seem to know the show is doomed and went into the final stretch of episodes accordingly: “We will resolve the storylines for all major characters,” executive producer Rick Eid told TVLine. “We hope that the last episode will feel like the final chapter of a 15-chapter novel.”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks