Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tv + Home Theater + external HDD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   haxxej

haxxej

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted September 22 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hello,

My first post here. I need your help guys. I have an external HDD which I would like to connect to my LG 55LA660 TV. Being a smart tv, it recognises the hdd right away and I'm able to play my video content without issues. My problem is I can only get sound from my tv speakers. My Tv is connected via hdmi 1.4 with my Yamaha YHT-598 home theater system. My HTIB and TV are connected via the hdmi 1 (arc) on my tv and the hdmi out (arc) on htib. The HDD is connected by USB to the tv. I changed the settings on my tv to get the sound via an external source but still nothing.

What am I missing? Is it even possible to get the sound from my htib when playing content off the external hdd which is connected to the tv?

Thanks.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,932 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 22 2013 - 09:52 AM

What does your LG owner's manual say about the audio off a USB stick? I could go download the manual and read it, but you have one.

As a hint, usually the TV(if it can even send audio off the USB out its toslink/digital coax/ARC) can only send it as 2.0.

So, it depends if this TV can internally bridge the 5.1 into 2.0. Most of them can't. One of the many reasons people ignore "Smart TV" and buy Smart BD players. Or Netgears/Linksys/Roku.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   haxxej

haxxej

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted September 22 2013 - 10:03 AM

I just had a look at it and it's not very clear. It seems that I might get it to work with an optical cable but before I buy one I would have preferred if someone has the same setup and can confirm that it can work.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,932 posts

Posted September 22 2013 - 10:04 AM

There is another plus to using a toslink. You won't have to deal with CEC headaches. Any other audio you need off the TV? (apps and OTA)

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   haxxej

haxxej

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted September 22 2013 - 12:20 PM

The disadvantage of using toslink would be the fact that I won't be able to get Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Well I guess I have to give up on something. Either that or just continue to stream everything over the network. Thanks a lot guys.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,932 posts

Posted September 22 2013 - 12:38 PM

You aren't getting lossless audio with the TV involved no matter what. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users