What's new

Speaker choices? (1 Viewer)

notanaudiophile

Auditioning
Hello to all. New to the scene, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am currently building a new surround system. Tossing the old theatre in a box and committing to something a little higher in quality. Starting with an Onkyo TX-NR717 7.2 receiver. Having a hard time on speaker decision. London drugs is pushing Tannoy bookshelf dual concentrics, Visions likes Soundstage. After reading 10,000 different reviews, I find myself torn. Help!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
A budget, and where you are, would help. Speakers are the hardest part of any theatre, but if done correctly, the only speakers you'll have for the next 25+ year's.Any requirements?Floor standers?Have to wall hang?Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

notanaudiophile

Auditioning
Budget around $1500 all in(wire connectors etc).In CanadaRequirements: able to handle a wide range of music(rock, metal,hip hop, rap, pop, etc) handle movie sound while delivering clear vocals while actors are talking( seem to consistently have a hard time hearing conversations and find myself adjusting volume up and down between action scenes and slower scenes) I'm guessing a good centre speaker should quell that issue.I'm leaning towards floor towers( as I understand it, they're better for music than the book shelf's).Thanks in advance,Mike

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
$1500 Canadian is a bit light on the budget, but...

Not sure what "connectors" you think you need, but unless you plan on disconnecting the system once a week, all you need is wire.

Pure Acoustics is a good budget brand, so is Fluance. The Fluance SX has a review here(I think the SX anyway).

Kijiji is a great place to find used stuff, which I would start used to maximize your budget. Then your choice becomes simpler. Mainly from you can't buy something that isn't for sale.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

notanaudiophile

Auditioning
The Saturn LCR's were recommended for my front left, right and centre. And the Mercury V1's for rears with a TS2 10" sub. Retail $2048.95, but the salesman 'helped me out' and brought it down to $1569.95. I'm sure there's better sound for the money than those.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I know nothing of the Saturn line. I have heard the HTS and Revolution(Tannoy isn't exactly "easy to get" in the US). Both were very good.

The Mercury is Tannoy's bread and butter.

By the way, I know a guy using 5 Tannoy Reveals straight off a SACD/DVD-A player. Yes, it sounds fantabulous.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you want to get way outside the box, since this place has Tannoy...Ask if they can get the Legend MOB1.Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
notanaudiophile said:
Appreciate the tips. My research list keeps growing as does the need for a bigger budget.
If you need, start with 2.0. Grow the system over time. That is one of the ways of maximizing your budget. Pre-owned speakers are the greatest budget maximizer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks