What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ World War Z 3D -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Before you view anything in 3D, please read my comments in the Wizard of Oz thread.  That point made, World War Z, from Paramount, is decent looking 3D conversion.

The film received some bad press before release.  A potentially troubled production.  To me, it's simple.

If you like great Zombie flicks, you'll probably love this film.  If you don't...

A warning also goes out to the anti-orange and teal brigade.  Those who don't care of the look of two color Technicolor.

I happen to like the look of the film, but you've been warned.

Apparently shot both in digital (Arri Alexa) and analogue (Arri 435), and finished as a 2k DI, the resultant files have a highly resolved and pleasing look, with superb detail.

The audio, presented on Blu-ray in DTS-HD MA 7.1 is huge, loud, crisp, clean, pin-point, and miraculously speaking cleaning.  A warning for those with smaller speakers and a powerful amp.  Don't crank the volume.  There are zombies that will attack your speaker system.

Once again, whether one should purchase this film comes down to genre. Love zombies, it's a must buy.  Great fun, and an awesome ride.

Recommended.

RAH

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I didn't know what this was film was about until I saw it last night. Because of Brad Pitt's involvement, I had no clue that the title meant that this was about zombies. And boy can they get around! No foot dragging Kharis, or lumbering Frankenstein monster here.

This is one of the better 2D to 3D conversions out there. Not a lot of "in your face" stuff, but enough depth throughout to get you "into" the film. There was very little crosstalk visible on my system (Panny 7000, 120" screen, Oppo BDP-93.)

And you're right about the sound. My speakers (especially the sub woofer) really got a workout!

Great popcorn (leave your brain at the door) zombie flick.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought it was much better than a "leave your brain at the door" type film. It was very smart, believable and vastly entertaining. One of the best films of the summer.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
I thought it was much better than a "leave your brain at the door" type film. It was very smart, believable and vastly entertaining. One of the best films of the summer.
Agreed. You can tell from the opening sequence (which is brilliant, IMO) that this is a big budget summer movie with zombies BUT at the same time you can tell that it's not "leave your brain at the door" type of film. The tone is serious, dark and yes - even believable.

I actually haven't seen a review of this film that goes under 3/5 stars. And many people "hated" the film at some point - without even seeing it. It still puzzles me.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Tino said:
Yes. Why wouldn't it be?
Since it was released as a PG-13 movie, the studio probably dictated to the film makers so much that it had to be PG-13 that they used black blood instead of red blood. As the makers of Evil Dead II said, "Red blood is bad". Blacking out the blood is what movie trailers do.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
This link includes SPOILERS (do not read if you haven't seen the film), but not sure we're going to see that originally filmed 3rd act/ending in any time soon. Forster says that they never really finished it (meaning CGI etc).

I really like the current ending, but of course it would be fun to see that "alternate ending" of the movie.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/marc-forster-world-war-z-original-ending/13541?wssac=164&wssaffid=news

...And in this interview Forster kinda says that he prefers the "Unrated" version of the movie (now on Blu-ray):

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/176145-director-marc-forster-on-world-war-zs-new-extended-home-video-cut

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What I liked about the start of this film was that you got a glimpse of a world-wide catastrophe from a very limited point of view. We were right in the middle of it, not watching from a larger point of view.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Finally had a chance to give World War Z some quality time, and came away extremely impressed. Tech credits are superb, with every penny of the film's approximate 200 million dollar budget on screen.

Cinematography is superb, and combines beautifully with the digital work.

Acting is great across the board from Mr. Pitt and Ms Enos (The Killing) down to young Israeli actress Daniella Kertesz, in what is apparently her English language debut.

A beautifully produced, and highly entertaining film.

RAH

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ted Van Duyn said:
Since it was released as a PG-13 movie, the studio probably dictated to the film makers so much that it had to be PG-13 that they used black blood instead of red blood. As the makers of Evil Dead II said, "Red blood is bad". Blacking out the blood is what movie trailers do.
I don't recall much, if any, blood in the pg13 cut, but since it's unrated, red blood should be a moot point.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I finally got around to this (2-D) version today.

Enjoyed it very much and thought Brad Pitt was really excellent.

I read the piece linked-to above about the original ending. I really think the actual ending worked quite well and was probably better than what was originally planned. I think it would have been a nice detail to know which disease Pitt's character selected and used. It could have added to some of the drama of the scene to get some additional reaction from the scientists watching via the in-house cameras.

I'm not a "zombie" guy. But this movie worked for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks