Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ From Here to Eternity -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,922 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 11:46 AM

POPULAR

Chalk one more up for those keeping score of Academy Award films missing in Blu-ray action.

After delays, Columbia (Sony) is finally releasing Fred Zinnemann's 1953 Best Picture to Blu-ray, and it's arriving with waves crashing and guns blaring.

One of the finest films of any era, FHtE has received a proper restoration from the studio, and looks superb down-rezzed to Blu-ray.

Gray scale is gorgeous.  Black levels superb.  Resolution, grain structure, as they should be.  Audio crisp, clean and defined.

This is an easy one.

One of the great films.  Just buy a copy and enjoy.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 01:21 PM

The history of this film taught me about movies, in general.When I first started watching movies, I probably thought that the director's job was to be some sort of "technical wizard"This film taught me, though, that the director's job is to be a storyteller.In every history of this film I have ever read (or heard), it is stated that the book was considered to be "unfilmable".Yet Fred Zinnemann turned the "unfilmable" book into this wonderful movie!

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,120 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted September 20 2013 - 03:57 PM

One of my absolute favorites, great to hear that they've done right by the film and the result is a high quality product :)

#4 of 24 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,023 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 20 2013 - 06:55 PM

Pre ordered through the HTF link.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,922 posts

Posted September 24 2013 - 03:53 PM

A small addendum to my comments.  The new preservation elements are derived from a fine grain master, and dupe negative.  The original negative was lost in the 1970s.

Audio is based upon a spread of the original stems.  The original stereo no longer survives.

Am I impressed with the final result?

Absolutely!

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor

• 517 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted September 25 2013 - 06:50 AM

Looking forward to having another Montgomery Clift film on blu-ray. Good news that they did a quality job on the transfer!

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted September 25 2013 - 08:41 PM

Any Bonus Features on this disc? I'll be getting it, for sure, but... just wondering,.

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted September 25 2013 - 09:31 PM

Any Bonus Features on this disc? I'll be getting it, for sure, but... just wondering,.

The commentary and 2 short featurettes (<12 min total) from previous home video releases + a new PiP trivia track. 

"Here's looking at you, kid."

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted September 26 2013 - 09:12 PM

POPULAR

This sound great RAH will be a certain addition to my library -- but I fear I'll be waiting from here to eternity (literally) for Sgt. Fatso Judson to stop yelling and beating the crap out of people and turn into the king of romance, Marty Piletti, on my bluray player.....

Come on MGM, hurry up with a special edition of "Marty", please!

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 03:01 PM

Got mine yesterday and, while the picture looks great, I can't get the audio to load on the PIP track on my OPPO for whatever reason. 

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted October 03 2013 - 06:55 AM

Got mine yesterday and, while the picture looks great, I can't get the audio to load on the PIP track on my OPPO for whatever reason. 

You're referring to this feature?

> Graphics-in-Picture Track: The complete story of how 1953's Best Picture winner came to be, as told through new interviews, exclusive photos and other rare material.

It's rare that studios use true Picture-in-Picture "Bonus View" features anymore, but that's what this sounds like.

If you can't hear any audio, I'm guessing that you've connected your Blu-ray player to your A/V receiver by HDMI and have set the player to "bitstream" transmission. Is that correct? Unfortunately, "bitstream" will only transmit the movie's actual soundtrack, not PiP audio, which needs to be mixed in on top of the movie in real time.

To fix this, go into your player's setup menu and switch audio from bitstream to PCM, then make sure that any other "Secondary Audio" options are turned on.

When you're done watching the feature, you'll probably want to go back in and turn everything back the way it was before.

Yes, this is a pain in the behind, which is why most studios gave up on these features.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   RetroGuy

RetroGuy

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 09:16 AM

It wouldn't play on my Oppo either, so I went to Setup Menu --> Audio Format Setup --> Secondary Audio and switched it to "On". Now it plays fine.

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted October 03 2013 - 10:51 AM

It wouldn't play on my Oppo either, so I went to Setup Menu --> Audio Format Setup --> Secondary Audio and switched it to "On". Now it plays fine.

Be aware that if you normally have your OPPO player set to Bitstream, and you turn Secondary Audio on, it will downgrade lossless movie soundtracks to standard Dolby Digital or DTS. If you prefer to bitstream, you'll have to turn Secondary Audio off again when you're done watching the Picture-in-Picture feature.

This should not be a problem if you player is normally set for PCM output.

Edited by JoshZ, October 03 2013 - 10:52 AM.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,298 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted October 03 2013 - 01:45 PM

The last Blu-ray I watched with a P-I-P feature was Ghostbusters, and I had the same problem until someone told me that I needed to adjust the audio setup on my Blu-ray player.

Rich Gallagher

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 03:27 PM

Thanks guys— I will check that out tonight! See, people do win on HTF!

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Douglas_H

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 11:39 AM

Finally watched this last night. Wow.

I have the old super-bit version and that was nice for a dvd, but this one is beautiful.

What a great cast and great film.

Deborah Kerr is a babe and Burt is always The Man.

Bring on Best Years of Our Lives!

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 03:36 PM

Thanks again -- got the PIP track to work perfectly last night (and checked GHOSTBUSTERS out as well).

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,202 posts

Posted October 05 2013 - 12:42 AM

Finally watched this last night. Wow.

I have the old super-bit version and that was nice for a dvd, but this one is beautiful.

Thank you. THAT was what I wanted to know before buying.

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted October 14 2013 - 02:44 PM

It's proper gorgeous. What an absolutely superb Blu-ray.

#20 of 24 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,023 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 14 2013 - 02:51 PM

What a great transfer and it just made the enjoyment of the film more. It's like watching it for the first time.

Edited by ahollis, October 14 2013 - 04:59 PM.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users