What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ From Here to Eternity -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Chalk one more up for those keeping score of Academy Award films missing in Blu-ray action.

After delays, Columbia (Sony) is finally releasing Fred Zinnemann's 1953 Best Picture to Blu-ray, and it's arriving with waves crashing and guns blaring.

One of the finest films of any era, FHtE has received a proper restoration from the studio, and looks superb down-rezzed to Blu-ray.

Gray scale is gorgeous.  Black levels superb.  Resolution, grain structure, as they should be.  Audio crisp, clean and defined.

This is an easy one.

One of the great films.  Just buy a copy and enjoy.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
The history of this film taught me about movies, in general.When I first started watching movies, I probably thought that the director's job was to be some sort of "technical wizard"This film taught me, though, that the director's job is to be a storyteller.In every history of this film I have ever read (or heard), it is stated that the book was considered to be "unfilmable".Yet Fred Zinnemann turned the "unfilmable" book into this wonderful movie!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A small addendum to my comments. The new preservation elements are derived from a fine grain master, and dupe negative. The original negative was lost in the 1970s.

Audio is based upon a spread of the original stems. The original stereo no longer survives.

Am I impressed with the final result?

Absolutely!

RAH

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
battlebeast said:
Any Bonus Features on this disc? I'll be getting it, for sure, but... just wondering,.
The commentary and 2 short featurettes (

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
This sound great RAH will be a certain addition to my library -- but I fear I'll be waiting from here to eternity (literally) for Sgt. Fatso Judson to stop yelling and beating the crap out of people and turn into the king of romance, Marty Piletti, on my bluray player.....

Come on MGM, hurry up with a special edition of "Marty", please!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Got mine yesterday and, while the picture looks great, I can't get the audio to load on the PIP track on my OPPO for whatever reason.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Mark Cappelletty said:
Got mine yesterday and, while the picture looks great, I can't get the audio to load on the PIP track on my OPPO for whatever reason.
You're referring to this feature?

> Graphics-in-Picture Track: The complete story of how 1953's Best Picture winner came to be, as told through new interviews, exclusive photos and other rare material.

It's rare that studios use true Picture-in-Picture "Bonus View" features anymore, but that's what this sounds like.

If you can't hear any audio, I'm guessing that you've connected your Blu-ray player to your A/V receiver by HDMI and have set the player to "bitstream" transmission. Is that correct? Unfortunately, "bitstream" will only transmit the movie's actual soundtrack, not PiP audio, which needs to be mixed in on top of the movie in real time.

To fix this, go into your player's setup menu and switch audio from bitstream to PCM, then make sure that any other "Secondary Audio" options are turned on.

When you're done watching the feature, you'll probably want to go back in and turn everything back the way it was before.

Yes, this is a pain in the behind, which is why most studios gave up on these features.

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
Mark Cappelletty said:
It wouldn't play on my Oppo either, so I went to Setup Menu --> Audio Format Setup --> Secondary Audio and switched it to "On". Now it plays fine.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
RetroGuy said:
It wouldn't play on my Oppo either, so I went to Setup Menu --> Audio Format Setup --> Secondary Audio and switched it to "On". Now it plays fine.
Be aware that if you normally have your OPPO player set to Bitstream, and you turn Secondary Audio on, it will downgrade lossless movie soundtracks to standard Dolby Digital or DTS. If you prefer to bitstream, you'll have to turn Secondary Audio off again when you're done watching the Picture-in-Picture feature.

This should not be a problem if you player is normally set for PCM output.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
RetroGuy said:
The last Blu-ray I watched with a P-I-P feature was Ghostbusters, and I had the same problem until someone told me that I needed to adjust the audio setup on my Blu-ray player.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Finally watched this last night. Wow.
I have the old super-bit version and that was nice for a dvd, but this one is beautiful.
What a great cast and great film.
Deborah Kerr is a babe and Burt is always The Man.

Bring on Best Years of Our Lives!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Douglas_H said:
Finally watched this last night. Wow.
I have the old super-bit version and that was nice for a dvd, but this one is beautiful.
Thank you. THAT was what I wanted to know before buying.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
What a great transfer and it just made the enjoyment of the film more. It's like watching it for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks