Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Little Mermaid 3D -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Disney 3D Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 of 50 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,838 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 11:38 AM

It's a sad state of affairs when fine films, and especially those with great financial importance to the studios suffer some sort of industrial damage without proper backup or asset protection.

While I've never found out what befell the original negative of Disney's The Little Mermaid, shortly after its original theatrical release the studio was forced to put it through a complete restoration.

Poor Ariel.

Fortunately for the film and current audiences, one would never know how damaged the film was at the time.

Throughout all of its various incarnations on home video, I've always found The Little Mermaid lacking in either image or audio.

Finally, with the new 3D Diamond Edition, everything seems to be working, and working nicely, at least for those of us who are unable to recite the original color schemes in our sleep.

Colors are crisp, clear and well defined.  Audio, in DTS-HD 7.1, is rich and full.

The 3D conversion works decently for home video, but like all 3D, brings lower illumination and less color clarity to the fore.

Great for kids, who won't watch films without zombies, and need to see their first Disney film.  And will only watch 3D.

A great film, that  was essential in bringing the new form of Disney animation to the public.

Currently $35 on Amazon, in 3D, and inclusive of the the extras disc.  $28 in Blu-ray.

I always look at 3D conversions as interesting experiments.  I'm certain that many will be thrilled with this new set.  Personally, I'm happy with the film in 2D -- and make no mistake, the 2D version is a magnificent Blu-ray.

As you watch the film, keep a keen eye open for classic Disney characters, who I'm told make appearances.

Image - 5 (3D - 3.5)

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 50 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted September 20 2013 - 12:20 PM

I don't know if the 3D version suffers from this, but the 2D version has a mistake during "Part of Your World" where some shots were switched and now Ariel's mouth doesn't match. People are rightly upset about this, and have been calling Disney in droves asking for a replacement program.

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#3 of 50 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted September 20 2013 - 12:34 PM

Disney's response to that particular mistake: http://forum.blu-ray...&postcount=2301 They claim the switch has no impact on the film. I disagree completely. Here's a vid:  Ariel now moves her mouth to sing "...wish I could be" long after the soundtrack has passed that point. It also causes a jarring cut that was avoided by having the shot of Flounder in its original place.

#4 of 50 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted September 20 2013 - 12:37 PM

How dare they tell people whether or not it affects their enjoyment of the film!

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#5 of 50 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,838 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 01:00 PM

I don't know if the 3D version suffers from this, but the 2D version has a mistake during "Part of Your World" where some shots were switched and now Ariel's mouth doesn't match. People are rightly upset about this, and have been calling Disney in droves asking for a replacement program.

I didn't see anything unusual.  Ariel's labials look as in sync as most animated work.  Viewed the youtube clip, and only see a shot swapped, with no affect on sync.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#6 of 50 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted September 20 2013 - 01:41 PM

It may be hard to notice the sync issue on a small inferior quality youtube clip. If you look at the DVD side, between 0:12 and 0:14, Ariel sings "wish I could be", and her mouth clearly moves to these words, as does her body as she emotes. On the Blu-ray side, the soundtrack stays in the same place, but the clip of Ariel singing the words now occurs between 0:14 and 0:16, and is thus completely silent. Her mouth moves, her body emotes, but nothing is heard.

Edited by EddieLarkin, September 20 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#7 of 50 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 02:20 PM

"deliberate creative decision"

#8 of 50 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted September 21 2013 - 12:06 PM

Disney needs to start with disc replacements for the shot swaps for Part of Your World ASAP. One might also take notice that when Scuttle first appears instead of a cross fade shot it is now an immediate cut. Also the opening titles have been slightly re-arranged pulling the Silver Screen partners title. The sound cue that went with the Walt Disney Pictures Presents is now gone due to the new placement. 

As for Part of Your World the fact the shots are swapped is very distracting for those who have seen the film a million times, this careless alteration on Disney's tech team needs fixed. Many are and have complained directly to Disney and should do so in a considerate and nice manner. I have a feeling others who have never seen the film if they pay close attention on a large enough HD screen may scratch their heads and think... wait why is Ariel showing so much emotion and seems to be singing but out of place.

When I worked as a projectionist years ago I was taught never to do anything during the film to pull the audience out of the film. Meaning don't lower the volume etc by doing so it causes a distraction and it ruins the films impact. 

This is the same issue with the changes during The Little Mermaid. If it causes you to question the shots of the film or any deviation from what you've seen many times over it pulls you out of the film therefore ruins the experience. Consumers deserve the chance to swap altered discs with corrected discs direct with Disney if they choose.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#9 of 50 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted September 21 2013 - 12:18 PM

Disney's response to that particular mistake: http://forum.blu-ray...&postcount=2301 

Just like the missing dialogue in Pinocchio had no impact, they miss the point, these mistakes should not be happening if quality control was any good, why do i think there will be a fix but it will be silent and if you want it you will have to send your copy back to Disney, it seems recalls just don't happen these days and it's all about keeping a lid on things in case sales are affected.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10 of 50 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,510 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted September 21 2013 - 12:22 PM

These kinds of alterations are not unprecedented at Disney. Lion King definitely had shots replaced and I think I heard that Beauty and the Beast did to. And of course Aladdin had that racist song lyric changed. As it is being done by the original filmmakers, I really don't think consumers have any more say than they did with the Star Wars alterations.

#11 of 50 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted September 21 2013 - 01:11 PM

Disney have said this was an unfortunate mistake, not an intentional alteration.

#12 of 50 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted September 22 2013 - 12:18 AM

POPULAR

Disney suggests looking at your iPad while the movie is playing so that you won't notice these issues.http://www.cartoonbr...film-88364.html

#13 of 50 ONLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,684 posts

Posted September 22 2013 - 12:17 PM

Hey, great idea.  Why don't we just close our eyes or plug our ears during scenes with quality control issues?  Now I can play My Fair Lady on Blu-ray, because with my eyes shut, it is the best Blu-ray of the year!

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#14 of 50 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,524 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 22 2013 - 12:26 PM

Let me get this straight. This not a parody. Disney is actually encouraging use of electronics in the theater. Chances are the theater will have run a promo discouraging it. If this is true, Disney marketing has "jumped the shark".Wait, I thought the theatrical release was cancelled.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#15 of 50 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,509 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 22 2013 - 12:57 PM

They can't sell the two-time Oscar-winning movie that saved Feature Animation's bacon on its own merits, so they need dumb gimmicks like Second Screen that send the message that it's okay to use your iPad in the theater. It isn't. It's distracting. If you want to play games while watching the movie, go home and do it.

If this is a success, every future theatrical reissue will be like this. If it fails, they'll blame the film and not the gimmick.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#16 of 50 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,805 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 22 2013 - 01:18 PM

Let me get this straight. This not a parody. Disney is actually encouraging use of electronics in the theater. Chances are the theater will have run a promo discouraging it.If this is true, Disney marketing has "jumped the shark".

They did the same thing with (I think) Nightmare Before Christmas last year. The screening is sold on and built around the second screen presentation and a tablet was required to get in so anyone going in knows what they're getting into. I have no interest in something like that but if people want to watch a movie and an iPad at the same time, it's a free country.

Edited by TravisR, September 22 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#17 of 50 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,840 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 23 2013 - 11:02 AM

As long as they limit the "Second Screen" stuff to specific (and well-publicized) screenings for that purpose, I have no problem with it.

I didn't see anything unusual.  Ariel's labials look as in sync as most animated work.  Viewed the youtube clip, and only see a shot swapped, with no affect on sync.

RAH

Labials? But she's still a mermaid in that scene!

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#18 of 50 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,556 posts

Posted September 24 2013 - 04:10 PM

These kinds of alterations are not unprecedented at Disney. Lion King definitely had shots replaced and I think I heard that Beauty and the Beast did to. And of course Aladdin had that racist song lyric changed. As it is being done by the original filmmakers, I really don't think consumers have any more say than they did with the Star Wars alterations.

The Lion King had the alligators during "I Just Can't Wait To Be King" re-animated, and several shots were given new details for the IMAX version back in 2002, which I believe are still there on the Blu-ray. That actually was a "deliberate creative decision," though. Also, on the Blu-ray, they've moved Frank Wells' dedication from the beginning of the film to all the way at the end of the end credits. (I wonder what his family thinks about that.)

On Beauty and the Beast, after the song "Something There," there's a shot of Lumiere, Cogsworth, etc. shutting the door, but there's a different background between the two different cuts of the film. On the Blu-ray, it's the Special Edition version of the shot on both cuts of the film; I imagine that was an authoring error or something similar.

These kind of issues are frustrating, because they really are very minor things, and you sound like you're making a mountain out of a molehill when you complain. But someone spent a long time on each one of those creative decisions, determining exactly how the sequence would play out. Then to have it accidentally jumbled years later (and then not corrected) would be kind of like a wrong note ringing out in the middle of your favorite song.

I mean, it's just one note, isn't it? http://www.youtube.c...etailpage#t=141

Edited by Bryan Tuck, September 24 2013 - 04:12 PM.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#19 of 50 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 336 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted September 27 2013 - 06:12 AM

What I'd like to know about is these "classic Disney characters" who make an appearance in the film?Can anyone elaborate?

#20 of 50 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,175 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 27 2013 - 07:18 AM

What I'd like to know about is these "classic Disney characters" who make an appearance in the film?Can anyone elaborate?

In the commentary, the directors mention that Mickey and Donald (and maybe others I'm not remembering) were placed in a crowd scene that flies by. You'd have to pause it exactly right to glimpse them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Disney, 3D Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users