Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speakers making loud Whoomp noise

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   RadDog

RadDog

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted September 19 2013 - 01:17 PM

I have a Yamaha receiver with Klipsch 5.1 surround speaker system.  Whenever I play a movie (bluray or dvd) any sudden loud noise in the movie causes a louder "whoomp" sound to blurt out of my speakers.  I didn't have this problem before I moved and set everything up again.  I suppose it must have to do with the speaker wires, but I am not sure how to troubleshoot.  It gets pretty darn annoying.  Any help anyone can offer is appreciated!

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,320 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 19 2013 - 01:59 PM

Sounds like the crossover is set too low for the 5.0.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   RadDog

RadDog

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 07:26 AM

OK.

Sorry, but I am unfamiliar with this.  What is the crossover, and how do I fix it? 

Thanks, again!

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,320 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 20 2013 - 07:44 AM

The crossover is the bass management in your Yamaha. Part of the YPAO...if yours has YPAO.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Screenwriter

• 2,215 posts

Posted September 27 2013 - 06:34 AM

I have a Yamaha receiver with Klipsch 5.1 surround speaker system.  Whenever I play a movie (bluray or dvd) any sudden loud noise in the movie causes a louder "whoomp" sound to blurt out of my speakers.  I didn't have this problem before I moved and set everything up again.  I suppose it must have to do with the speaker wires, but I am not sure how to troubleshoot.  It gets pretty darn annoying.  Any help anyone can offer is appreciated!

Is the system in a significantly larger room environment now? 

I would start by unplugging everything and disconnect all wires and cabling. Then re-connect everything taking your time to ensure each connection is correct. Also, be sure the DVD player is setup to output the correct signal to the receiver. When DVD players lose power they can default back to a 2 channel codec. The receiver will still process this to a matrix surround effect but using the root 5.1 or 7.1 audio almost always results in much better sound quality.

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users