What's new

Onkyo RC-360 Volume Help (1 Viewer)

Jeff Schleyer

Auditioning
So I have an Onkyo RC360 setup with Energy RC-LCR Fronts, VS Surrounds and RC-10 rears.

I have had this setup for a about 7 months now and love it. I calibrated everything with Audassay when I first bought and things were great.

I have been away for a few weeks and haven't played games or movies on it for a while.

This week I finally had time to watch TV, Movies and play some games and this is where I am second guessing myself

It seems for movies, cable tv and games, I need to turn my receiver to volume 50 to get mid/high Volume and really crank it to 60 for very loud play. Noticed this while watching Oblivion last night

I always thought I used to have the receiver on 35-40 and it was insanely loud (this is where I second guess myself since Ive been away for a long while). Could it be the movie I was watching had a softer sound track? My Reference Level is set to 0

Is it normal to have my receiver at 50-60? Maybe it was always at that volume and I just don't remember.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Change it to relative(negative volume). -25 to- 15 is where I usually have it set.Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

Jeff Schleyer

Auditioning
What would that do other than just change the volume scale? I mean is I use -25, I would crank the receiver to 25 and its the same as having it on 50 currently right?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your AVR has two scales.

Absolute and Relative.

Absolute is the "old style volume scale"

Relative is based on reference volume scale of 85db to 105db.

Using "relative" the "- volume" is based on the 105db reference volume...sort of. It is a more accurate portrayal of volume than Absolute.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks