Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

IOS7

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 of 71 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,575 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 19 2013 - 06:32 PM

Worse and better on the iPad 2The spindly fonts and delicate elements of iOS 7 only make the non-retina-ness of these screens more noticeable. This is an OS built for screens without visible pixels. As we noted in our iOS 7 review, a switch in the accessibility settings can beef up the thickness of the fonts so they don’t look so pixelated.Fortunately, iOS 7 does actually seem to improve the browser. The new OS handily bests iOS 6.1.3 in SunSpider, Kraken, and Google Octane. The incessant, overeager page refreshing seems to be less of a problem, and the pages don’t take as long to loadThis is not great, but may not be a big deal in my house:How much battery you get out of an old device like this will depend on if you've kept it in good shape and which settings you have in use at the time. For a quick battery test, I set my iPad 2 at 50 percent brightness and had it cycle through a handful of webpages to simulate browsing. On 6.1.3, the iPad managed about 10 hours 11 minutes of life, while on 7.0 it got about eight hours and 55 minutes. An hour and 15 minutes is a pretty sizable difference, so if battery life is of utmost importance to you, upgrading may not be the best idea.

#22 of 71 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,575 posts

Posted September 19 2013 - 06:36 PM

I'm worried about this too.

I'm still reading reviews, but AnandTechs review said the 4S is slowest usable device for ios7. I'm upgrading phones this fall so I'm not going to bother on my 4.

#23 of 71 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,634 posts

Posted September 19 2013 - 07:21 PM

I'm planning an upgrade as well, so I'll probably stay with iOS 6. It's quite sluggish as it is. 

#24 of 71 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,130 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted September 19 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hacked in a day:

http://www.forbes.co...ail-or-twitter/

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#25 of 71 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,798 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 20 2013 - 03:11 AM

My 4s handles iOS 7 quite nicely. I can't tell if it's faster than iOS 6 but I can say with 100% certainty that it is not slower. The battery life seems to be about the same as well. I have heard unconfirmed reports that iOS 7 doesn't play well with the iPhone 4 and makes it run slower. Since I'm running a 4s, I have no first hand knowledge if that is accurate. After a thorough shake down of the new iOS, I have discovered one other change I don't like. The iPod functionality. Specifically the mosaic album art view when turning the phone sideways. The flip book of album art was much cleaner and nicer. Now it looks too busy and takes a lot longer to find an album this way. Lastly, there is the iOS's inability to determine an artist when the song comes from a compilation album, however, this is a hold over from iOS 6 which I was hoping would be fixed by now.

#26 of 71 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,130 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 03:38 AM

Well, my battery life on my iPad 4HD has went to total shit.

Woke up this morning and my ipad is completely dead.. I mean just nothing dead had to put on a charger. Had a full charge yesterday morning. Never run into this before on the unit. I'll have to research some battery tricks for IOS7.

trakt.tv

#27 of 71 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,798 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 03:41 AM

I don't own an iPad so I cannot comment on that.

#28 of 71 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,798 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 03:47 AM

Matt - I heard about the lock screen hack within a couple hours of public release. The Forbes article tells how to disable the control center access from the lock screen as well as Apple's response to the flaw. I'm confident Apple will address it quickly.

Update[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', serif;font-size:18px;text-align:left;]: A reader points out that anyone hoping to avoid this vulnerability until Apple issues a fix [/color]can prevent control center from appearing on their lockscreen[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', serif;font-size:18px;text-align:left;] by accessing “settings,” then “control center.”[/color]

Also, from Apple:

Update[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', serif;font-size:18px;text-align:left;]: A spokesperson from Apple tells me that the company “takes security very seriously and we’re aware of this issue. We’ll deliver a fix in a future software update.”[/color]

Soon, all will be well in Whoville again.  :)

#29 of 71 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,424 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted September 20 2013 - 06:03 AM

Is it publicly released now?Regardless I don't think I'll upgrade on my 4. Sounds like it will be too slow.

Hey Dave, I have installed it on my iPhone 4 and I am not experiencing any new slowness issues. Well, aside from the Facebook app, which has been ridiculously slow for a very long time anyway...but now it's just a little bit slower. Everything thing else is the same though.  Another topic for anybody to answer. was looking at the battery saver tips that Sam posted. For the life of me, I cannot find the 'Reduce Motion' in the accessibility settings. Is this just not there, on the iPhone 4? 

"Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#30 of 71 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,798 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 06:30 AM

Richard - The Reduce Motion setting is in Settings -> General -> Accessibility

It is the 9th item down on my 4s. I would think it is in the same place on the 4.

Edited by Clinton McClure, September 20 2013 - 06:30 AM.

#31 of 71 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,408 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted September 20 2013 - 07:57 AM

Via JDalry, this is unbelievable:https://play.google....?q=ios 7&c=apps

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#32 of 71 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,798 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 08:10 AM

Often imitated, never duplicated.  :D

#33 of 71 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,408 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 10:23 AM

Another good rundown:http://mashable.com/...0/ios-7-review/

#34 of 71 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,130 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 01:08 PM

ZOMG.  The battery life thing is horrible.  I finally got my iPad4 charged up to 96% by 10AM this morning.  It's 4PM in the afternoon and I'm down to 3% on "critical" and have to plug it in to charge. I've never had it not last a day, either Audible is leaking or something is going on.  I've turned off the auto-update as explained at a few sites, but I've got to get the battery thing better.. there are lots of days I don't get home til late.

trakt.tv

#35 of 71 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,575 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hey Dave, I have installed it on my iPhone 4 and I am not experiencing any new slowness issues. Well, aside from the Facebook app, which has been ridiculously slow for a very long time anyway...but now it's just a little bit slower. Everything thing else is the same though.  

Interesting. That's good to hear. I told a SIL to stay away on her iPhone 4. If it does work well, I'll tell her its ok ( though she'll still probably avoid it because, change, scary)

After a thorough shake down of the new iOS, I have discovered one other change I don't like. The iPod functionality. Specifically the mosaic album art view when turning the phone sideways. The flip book of album art was much cleaner and nicer. Now it looks too busy and takes a lot longer to find an album this way.

I hate CoverFlow and wish it had died years ago. I'm hoping this new system breaks from it and makes landscape mode marginally useful.

#36 of 71 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,575 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 06:54 PM

ZOMG.  The battery life thing is horrible.  I finally got my iPad4 charged up to 96% by 10AM this morning.  It's 4PM in the afternoon and I'm down to 3% on "critical" and have to plug it in to charge. I've never had it not last a day, either Audible is leaking or something is going on.  I've turned off the auto-update as explained at a few sites, but I've got to get the battery thing better.. there are lots of days I don't get home til late.

is this a fluke, or is this widespread, like the battery drain problems during 4S release?

#37 of 71 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,130 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 08:18 PM

is this a fluke, or is this widespread, like the battery drain problems during 4S release?

There are forum posts if you google it. I think it's just when certain apps run in the background. I'm not sure which app it is right now, but I think it may be audible. But right now something is killing me. My wife does not have this problem on her 4S
trakt.tv

#38 of 71 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,408 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 09:18 PM

I've begun regularly killing non upgraded apps for the last few months when they are in background and not in use, it helps for sure.

#39 of 71 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,130 posts

Posted September 23 2013 - 08:52 AM

Yeah, it was a non-upgraded app :(  Killed it off and battery life is OK. 

trakt.tv

#40 of 71 OFFLINE   rob kilbride

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted September 23 2013 - 09:18 AM

The search bar is gone from Safari after the upgrade on my iPad Mini. How can you search text now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users