What's new

3D It Came from Outer Space in 3D? (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Nope.

I just saw it in a crowded theater at the World 3-D Film Expo. The crowd loved it. Foster Hirsch introduced the film. A videotaped interview with the late writer Ray Bradbury preceded it -- he was hilarious, by the way. Co-stars Barbara Rush and Kathleen Hughes sat in the audience to watch the film with us, and then came up to the screen to chat about the film and take questions. Enchanting ladies with a great sense of humor about themselves. You should have been there.

ItCameFromOuterSpace-1953-Universal-halfB.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, it's probably a safe bet that we won't get it in 2014. I am still hoping for a sci-fi box set for next year fashioned after the Horror box. We just gotta keep hammering Universal and hope they still give a damn.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If I still lived in San Diego, I'd be attending some of that 3D Expo. Any chance of it moving to Little Rock? :biggrin: You don't need to answer that.

Those "extras" you described make an event like the Expo extra special. You can't get those on disc.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd love to see this title in 3D, i watched this late at night many years ago when BBC 2 used to show late night horror double bills, the good ol' times, now all we get is endless soap operas, news and reality shows.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I just keep hoping that, secretly in the background, Universal is working on a 6-8 film Sci-Fi box that will include their two remaining 3-D sci-fi films (REVENGE OF THE CREATURE, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE) plus THIS ISLAND EARTH (without Mike and the robots), DR. CYCLOPS, TARANTULA, and perhaps THE LAND UNKNOWN, THE MONOLITH MONSTERS, and another title I am not recalling...

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Dick said:
I just keep hoping that, secretly in the background, Universal is working on a 6-8 film Sci-Fi box that will include their two remaining 3-D sci-fi films (REVENGE OF THE CREATURE, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE) plus THIS ISLAND EARTH (without Mike and the robots), DR. CYCLOPS, TARANTULA, and perhaps THE LAND UNKNOWN, THE MONOLITH MONSTERS, and another title I am not recalling...
amen!

The Creature Walks among Us, and The Incredible Shrinking Man

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Dick said:
I'd be all over that box set like flys on ... you-know-what.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Holy crap! 3D on tape in 1981. I'll bet it was crappy. But I second the sentiment…time for Universal to release ICFOS on 3D blu-raty.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Johnny Angell said:
Holy crap! 3D on tape in 1981. I'll bet it was crappy. But I second the sentiment…time for Universal to release ICFOS on 3D blu-raty.
It was field-sequential. Not as good as Blu-ray 3D but better than anaglyph.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
1981? Likely anaglyph. Field sequential wasn't marketed in North America until the mid-to-late 80s, following JVC's experiment in Japan with VHD.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
It was anaglyph. A buddy of mine IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE and I had CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON. Not surprisingly, the 3-D didn't work so well. Anaglyph on CRTs never worked very well, though it was still cool.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Stephen_J_H said:
1981? Likely anaglyph. Field sequential wasn't marketed in North America until the mid-to-late 80s, following JVC's experiment in Japan with VHD.
VHD came out in Japan in 1983. Mike Starks came out with his field sequential system for VHS tapes in 1989.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
In 1985, I went to a local West Coast Video and saw they had It Came From Outer Space for rent. The box said "Filmed in 3D" and there was a little note on the back about watching in 3D, so I immediately rented it. It was the 1980 anaglyph VHS. The same store also had Creature From the Black Lagoon which I rented about a year later. In retrospect, they were awful, but back then I loved it. It Came From Outer Space was the first 3D movie I had gotten to see since Jaws 3D. I rented both titles quite a few times before finally scoring copies.

Hmm...I wonder how they'd look on a Flat Screen TV? Might be amusing to pop in for old time's sake.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I've seen the anaglyph version of ICFOS on the big screen and it's pretty good. Which may be fortunate as I read somewhere recently that one of the original left or right eye negatives is MIA which puts paid to a Blu-Ray release.
Perhaps it can be converted using just one view as has been done for "D movies like The Wizard of Oz? Assuming someone is willing to fund it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks