Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

It Came from Outer Space in 3D?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 4,996 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 18 2013 - 02:22 PM

I guess there's no hope a release this year is there?

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 31 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 06:16 PM

Nope.

I just saw it in a crowded theater at the World 3-D Film Expo. The crowd loved it.  Foster Hirsch introduced the film. A videotaped interview with the late writer Ray Bradbury preceded it -- he was hilarious, by the way. Co-stars Barbara Rush and Kathleen Hughes sat in the audience to watch the film with us, and then came up to the screen to chat about the film and take questions. Enchanting ladies with a great sense of humor about themselves. You should have been there.

ItCameFromOuterSpace-1953-Universal-halfB.jpg

Edited by Richard--W, September 18 2013 - 06:21 PM.

• Jeffrey Nelson likes this

#3 of 31 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,966 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 06:18 PM

Well, it's probably a safe bet that we won't get it in 2014. I am still hoping for a sci-fi box set for next year fashioned after the Horror box. We just gotta keep hammering Universal and hope they still give a damn.

#4 of 31 bob kaplan

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor

• 540 posts

Posted September 19 2013 - 05:57 AM

ditto!!!

#5 of 31 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 4,996 posts

Posted September 19 2013 - 07:18 AM

If I still lived in San Diego, I'd be attending some of that 3D Expo.  Any chance of it moving to Little Rock?  :biggrin: You don't need to answer that.

Those "extras" you described make an event like the Expo extra special.  You can't get those on disc.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#6 of 31 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,036 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted September 19 2013 - 07:33 AM

I'd love to see this title in 3D, i watched this late at night many years ago when BBC 2 used to show late night horror double bills, the good ol' times, now all we get is endless soap operas, news and reality shows.

• tele1962 likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 of 31 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 4,996 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 05:51 PM

Halloween time again, and I still have to watch this via DVD. Where's the blu ray 3d release?

Don't mind me, I'm just venting.
  • Bob Furmanek and Jeffrey Nelson like this
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#8 of 31 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,966 posts

Posted November 01 2013 - 02:07 PM

I just keep hoping that, secretly in the background, Universal is working on a 6-8 film Sci-Fi box that will include their two remaining 3-D sci-fi films (REVENGE OF THE CREATURE, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE) plus THIS ISLAND EARTH (without Mike and the robots), DR. CYCLOPS, TARANTULA, and perhaps THE LAND UNKNOWN, THE MONOLITH MONSTERS, and another title I am not recalling...

• Johnny Angell and Jeffrey Nelson like this

#9 of 31 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,835 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted November 01 2013 - 02:35 PM

I just keep hoping that, secretly in the background, Universal is working on a 6-8 film Sci-Fi box that will include their two remaining 3-D sci-fi films (REVENGE OF THE CREATURE, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE) plus THIS ISLAND EARTH (without Mike and the robots), DR. CYCLOPS, TARANTULA, and perhaps THE LAND UNKNOWN, THE MONOLITH MONSTERS, and another title I am not recalling...

amen!

The Creature Walks among Us, and The Incredible Shrinking Man

• Jeffrey Nelson likes this
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#10 of 31 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 4,996 posts

Posted November 01 2013 - 06:33 PM

I'd be all over that box set like flys on ... you-know-what.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#11 of 31 bob kaplan

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor

• 540 posts

Posted November 01 2013 - 06:53 PM

ditto!!

#12 of 31 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,052 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted November 28 2013 - 09:16 PM

This film REALLY needs a 3D Blu release. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Universal.

#13 of 31 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,479 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted December 01 2013 - 08:10 PM

Here's a short piece from an Australian magazine dated 29th April 1981.

article for 3d.jpg

Come on Universal this is 2013, so no excuses.

Doug.

Edited by Doug Bull, December 02 2013 - 01:19 AM.

#14 of 31 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 4,996 posts

Posted December 03 2013 - 11:36 AM

Holy crap!  3D on tape in 1981.  I'll bet it was crappy.  But I second the sentiment…time for Universal to release ICFOS on 3D blu-raty.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#15 of 31 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted December 05 2013 - 05:45 AM

Holy crap!  3D on tape in 1981.  I'll bet it was crappy.  But I second the sentiment…time for Universal to release ICFOS on 3D blu-raty.

It was field-sequential. Not as good as Blu-ray 3D but better than anaglyph.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#16 of 31 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,861 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted December 05 2013 - 10:48 AM

1981? Likely anaglyph. Field sequential wasn't marketed in North America until the mid-to-late 80s, following JVC's experiment in Japan with VHD.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#17 of 31 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,052 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 05 2013 - 08:29 PM

It was anaglyph.  A buddy of mine IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE and I had CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON.  Not surprisingly, the 3-D didn't work so well.  Anaglyph on CRTs never worked very well, though it was still cool.

Edited by Jeffrey Nelson, December 05 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#18 of 31 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted December 06 2013 - 06:10 AM

1981? Likely anaglyph. Field sequential wasn't marketed in North America until the mid-to-late 80s, following JVC's experiment in Japan with VHD.

VHD came out in Japan in 1983. Mike Starks came out with his field sequential system for VHS tapes in 1989.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#19 of 31 Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 310 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted December 07 2013 - 07:15 AM

In 1985, I went to a local West Coast Video and saw they had It Came From Outer Space for rent. The box said "Filmed in 3D" and there was a little note on the back about watching in 3D, so I immediately rented it. It was the 1980 anaglyph VHS. The same store also had Creature From the Black Lagoon which I rented about a year later. In retrospect, they were awful, but back then I loved it. It Came From Outer Space was the first 3D movie I had gotten to see since Jaws 3D. I rented both titles quite a few times before finally scoring copies.

Hmm...I wonder how they'd look on a Flat Screen TV? Might be amusing to pop in for old time's sake.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#20 of 31 StephenDH

StephenDH

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 08 2013 - 04:28 PM

I've seen the anaglyph version of ICFOS on the big screen and it's pretty good. Which may be fortunate as I read somewhere recently that one of the original left or right eye negatives is MIA which puts paid to a Blu-Ray release.

Perhaps it can be converted using just one view as has been done for "D movies like The Wizard of Oz? Assuming someone is willing to fund it.

Edited by StephenDH, December 09 2013 - 01:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users