What's new

Brooklyn 99 Season 1 (1 Viewer)

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
The cast seems to be high-powered. However, I didn't smile very much during the first episode and never laughed. Too much of it seemed aimed at a much younger demographic than my medicare aged self. I'll probably watch another episode but if it dies, I wont be too upset.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not great, and Adam Sandberg continues to irritate the hell out of me. But I like the rest of the cast, Andre Braugher is reliably amazing, and "Parks & Recreation" had a very problematic first season, too. I'll give it a season to win me over like that one did. Hopefully they can tone down Sandberg's character the way they did with Leslie Knope.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think knowing that it's from the writing staff of Parks & Rec is buying it some time with me as well. I don't know if it will work out, but I like the concept a good deal, but we'll have to see if it ever works out...

Surprisingly, made me miss "Night Court" and that NBC Thursday night run a lot ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
I think knowing that it's from the writing staff of Parks & Rec is buying it some time with me as well.
Same here. I'll probably stick with it for a while if only because I don't have anything else to watch at that time and I'll be watching New Girl after it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I laughed out loud a couple of times, but then again, I think I cringed more than that.

Once they get out of pilot mode (and actually have stuff on the show that I haven't seen in the promos a million times) I think I can assess it better.

My wife loves Andy Samberg, so it looks like it won't be coming off the DVR any time soon.

I did laugh at the Usual Suspects spoof where Samberg's character pieced together that the new captain was gay. And his partner is waaay cute. Also, Joe Lo Truglio is every-goddamn-where. He's in half the movies I see and guest stars in most of the TV shows I watch. And he's all over the web too. His IMDB entry must be second only to Frank Welker.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I laughed out loud several times and found it rather charming. Samberg's character didn't annoy me the way I expected it would, and there's lots of potential in the goofball precinct characters. Definitely a keeper for now.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Samberg acts like he's still doing SNL sketches and digital shorts. Hopefully that will work itself out as the series settles in.

Overall I found the entire premise entertaining, despite some minor flaws. I agree you can also feel the P&R vibe, especially with some of the characters (Rosa seems like another version of April and the office assistant plays a bit like Tom Haverford).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I didn't care for it. The only part I found funny was the old woman in the deli that kept shopping during the fight.

I also found the director's shaky cam style and continual zoom adjustments to be endlessly distracting.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Caught the rerun last night. I didn't find it particularly good or particularly bad. I guess we'll see where it goes.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Solid start. The supporting cast has a deep bench, and I was pleasantly surprised how believable the shenanigans were within the context of the show. The commercials just made it look like "Goofy cops, goofin' off!", but there is a little bit more going on than just that. Solid half-hour. More grounded than I expected, and good enough for a season pass.

Also, I'm a huge fan of Terry Crews being a coward.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I liked it. These kind of shows click for me. All I need is for Sandberg to turn down his Joker face smile and I'll be good.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Less impressed from a comedy angle with the second episode, but the show has solid performers, so I'm still going to watch.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I thought the second episode was even a bit funnier than the first. Samberg really is much better lead than I would have guessed, and I don't even have anything against him. The quirky tone, coupled with Samberg allegedly being an actually-good detective, has to be a pretty thin tightrope to walk, but I think so far they've got the hang of it.

Plus, I could watch Terry Crews all day. The man's a national treasure.

My only concern at this point is that Samberg is already getting along so well with the captain, that I'm worried it would take some contrivance to keep that antagonistic, "shape-up-or-ship-out" dynamic going for much longer, so hopefully they have something to move onto, coming up.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Early on in the pilot, Chelsea Peretti was really the only character that didn't quite work for me; she seemed like she was on another show, sorta coming across as a poor-man's Cheryl Tunt. By the second episode, she definitely came around for me, though.

(That said, to be sure, if you have not ever raced trains or owned an ocelot, pretty much EVERY neurotic woman is a poor-man's Cheryl Tunt.)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
My biggest problem in the two episodes so far has been the angry female detective. It's not so much that she's a bad character by herself, but they're trying way too hard to force an April-like presence onto the show.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Joe_H said:
My biggest problem in the two episodes so far has been the angry female detective. It's not so much that she's a bad character by herself, but they're trying way too hard to force an April-like presence onto the show.
April?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
From Parks and Recreation.
Overall I found the entire premise entertaining, despite some minor flaws. I agree you can also feel the P&R vibe, especially with some of the characters (Rosa seems like another version of April and the office assistant plays a bit like Tom Haverford).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks