What's new

New Girl Season 3 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Pretty good. Nick is all-in for self-defeating avoidance. Move to Mexico, live on the beach, and steal food from vacationing kids? Absolutely.Winston is even worse at puzzles than he is at pranks. How is that possible?Schmidt is going to be a difficult storyline. I wish he'd picked CiCi. I'm not sure i like the three way love triangle. I hope this isn't strung out to tedium. And while Schmidt is an idiot, he's got a lot of heart, in his insensitive, predatory way. This show is pretty bonkers and I'm looking forward to where it goes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Where are we at? Second or third episode? Winston wants a date for his cat.This was amazing. Emotionally, everything was working. The humor was, if not American Presidents funny, still very good with The Captain. The depiction of Nick's self expression was perfect. His inability, unwillingness, to articulate feelings (or better named, "talkings") resonated for me.Schmidt started the show as a lousy person. He got better in the middle, when he was dating cece. But now he's back to being a really awful person. I don't know what they do with it. He's hard to watch, an emotional train wreck, straddling the line of compelling, bonkers dramedy and just too off putting. And Winston...I'm still not sure he realized which "cat" really missed out on that date, but he is hilarious this season.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm over missing Coach. Did not find his cameo to work.Strange (as always) episode. I thought it started rough, the strip club with Coach was not so great, but the ending with Jess, Nick, and "Brazil" was super.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah I liked Coach a lot in the pilot and thought he was real funny and was upset he left. However last episode didn't do it for me and I have come to appreciate Winston more. The cat episode was funny. Now I think Winston works better in their age group. Doesn't Coach feel older than the rest of the group?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, Coach does feel older in some ways. He's not as weird as the other guys, so doesn't feel as emotionally stunted. This season is odd. I mean the whole show is pretty unhinged. And it pivoted about halfway through S1 from being a sitcom about Jess to some whole-cast lunacy that was both humor and Gen Z drama. But this year, it seem to really be bouncing of the rails, not knowing how to handle the relationships. And the latest episode, Thanksgiving, completely broke any semblance to reality this show has. It was just dumb. I hope they can reclaim the soul of s1, and get the show back to its fun lunacy, rather the absurdist nonsense it's veering towards.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't know what's going on with The New Girl. The reintroduction of Coach throws off the balance. Winston is being reinvented as a savvy, deducer of clues. Nick isn't a hapless loser; he's a smart capable man who chose a freer life over being a lawyer.

But worst of all, it's devolving to just boring.

BurkeHattie

Auditioning
Real Name
Hattie
Agree with you, Dave. It looks like they don't know where the entire thing is going. S3 is not the best time to test the water and see what's happening, actually it's the time when things are supposed to start getting straight. The humor is weird and not even funny anymore.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It takes a LOT for this to happen, but my wife and I have agreed to take New Girl off our list of shows that get recorded on our DVR.

One simple reason: it just ain't funny any more (for us. And I realize that's very much a subjective thing.)

But we're done.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't know what's going on with The New Girl. The reintroduction of Coach throws off the balance.
I agree.

I don't think that New Girl was ever great. It was never a great Sitcom that you would think you want to see again in the future. It was kind of average and I watched it for Zooey Deschanel! But if it's going to be painful to watch I will stop! Has not reached that yet!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I finally threw in the towel. We're about three episodes behind, and started "Jess's sister #2". Halfway we through, we stopped, and deleted the season pass.

As you all said, it's no longer funny. It's not dramatic either. It's incoherently boring, a sequence of random events among the non-characters.
But if there were good characters, it still might be watchable. They're destroying the characters. Coach's return destroyed the balance of Winston, Schmidt, and Nick. Abby is added, making Jess even more shrilly neurotic than ever. CeCe is now an appendage serving no purpose. (The characters seem to be re-invented every few episodes without regard to what has come before. Winston is now just a collection of tics. His competence as a sports DJ gone? Now he's unemployed and incapable of even being a fast food server? CeCe the high-paid model is now an marginally unemployed, incompetent bartender?)

Bummer. The first season was wild. Funny, unexpected. But it completely fell apart this season.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just watched these 3 episodes and I kind of enjoyed them!
3x13 Birthday3x14 Prince3x15 Exes

I don't remember enjoying the previous episodes of season 3.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I haven't been through this thread all season, but have been keeping up on the show and I still really like it. I think the Nick/Jess relationship has been handled perfectly fine, I was dreading how they may approach it when season 2 ended, but have been pleasantly surprised. I like Coach being back, but I do agree Winston is funnier. I'm certainly not going to stop watching it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got a young friend, late 20s, and she still likes it. Maybe it's an age gap cultural changes in tastes.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I let this stockpile on my DVR and just haven't got back to it. It occasionally has cute moments, but it seems to me to be the go to show for kids who were in jr. high & high school in the 90s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks