What's new

Home theater system help (1 Viewer)

AC2020x

Auditioning
Real Name
AC
Hello,

So I am a beginner when it comes to AV things, but I have an issue I want to see if it is possible to solve.

So I have a Onkyo HT-R557 theater box that I am using. Our setup for video goes cable box (HDMI) --> Onkyo box (HDMI) ---> projector. For audio it goes cable box ---> (Optical) Onkyo box ---> (speaker wires) Speakers (left and right).

So this setup is working perfectly with the cable box and optical cape setting.

This issue comes when I want to connect my computer into the system. I want to go Computer ---> (HDMI) Onkyo box-- then have the onkyo box to output audio to the speakers, and video to the projector.

In the manual, it says that if audio/video is coming in through HDMI, then it must also go out through HDMI.

Does anyone know of any work around that will allow me to output HDMI video to the projector and HDMI audio to the speakers?

Thanks!

AC

AC2020x

Auditioning
Real Name
AC
So you mean a new box instead of the Onkyo? Do you have any examples or know of what I should look for to see if it has this feature?

AC2020x

Auditioning
Real Name
AC
Okay, sounds good.. thanks for the help!

I'll look around and see what I can find. If anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears. I'm looking for something cheap, with multiple HDMI inputs.

Thanks again!

AC2020x

Auditioning
Real Name
AC
I'm looking for at least 3 HDMI ports. I don't need compositve or component. Just HDMI in (x3) and HDMI out (x1) and the ability to have audio go to the speakers rather than the HDMI out.

I'm definitely trying to keep it under $200. I'm looking at a couple options on ebay right now that will work. I'm just not sure how high the price will go.

AC2020x

Auditioning
Real Name
AC
Are you sure that this one will work.. I looked up the manual and it says on page 16--
* If your TV doesn’t support Audio Return Channel (ARC), you
need to connect an optical digital cable together with the HDMI
cable to the AV receiver.

I want to avoid using an optical cable since my computer does not have an optical connection. Or does this mean you need an optical cable only if you want your TV speakers to take the sound (and the TV doesn't support ARC).

I can't tell if this will take HDMI sound/ video in, and then direct HDMI video out, and sound out through the speakers. In other manuals that I've read from Onkyo, it explicitly says that it has this feature.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This AVR is the centerpiece of the theater and does exactly what you are asking a receiver to do.

Which is taking the audio off the HDMI. Meaning your "asterisk" is totally unimportant and unnecessary.

You will have three connections with any new AVR that you are asking to take the audio off the HDMI.

Cable box -> AVR via HDMI
HTPC -> AVR via HDMI
AVR -> TV via HDMI

Period, done.

AC2020x

Auditioning
Real Name
AC
Ok gotcha!

Thanks! Like I said, I'm still new to AV stuff so it just took me a little to understand this. I will probably wait to see how high a couple that I"m watching go up to on ebay. If they go to high, I will likely buy the one from amazon. And its on Amazon Prime, so I can get 1 day shipping for $4! :D

Thanks again!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That 160 will be good...although I don't think $200 is going to touch it. That, and the guy doesn't mention a remote. Is it included?

AC2020x

Auditioning
Real Name
AC
I asked, and the remote is included.

So far its still a low price.. I guess I'll wait and see what happens. If it goes to high, I'll buy the amazon one.

Thanks for all your help!

AC2020x

Auditioning
Real Name
AC
i'm aware.. I'm hoping its less than $200 though.

Do you think that this one is worth paying up to $200 for? (assuming it gets bid that high, and the reserve is below $200). Or do you think if it gets that high I should just go with amazon?

Which box is better?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That AVR has...

HDMI upconversion. Do you need it?
Dolby ProLogic IIz. Do you need it?
2nd zone. Do you need it?

Does not have 3D ability. Do you need it?

The SR313

Does not have HDMI upconversion. Do you want it?
Does not have DPL IIz. Do you want it?
Does not have 2nd Zone. Do you want it?

Does pass 3D. Do you need it?

The 160 is "equal" to the modern NR525. Do you need what the "525 does", minus the 3D?

No, I do not think the 160 is going to sell for less than $250. Why?
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-RC160-7-2-Channel-Surround-Receiver/dp/B0028AD7BE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379617377&sr=8-1&keywords=ht+rc160

That AVR, to me, shows $32 in shipping. Why not bid "whatever it takes" to make it $200 with the shipping. If you don't need the 3D, it is a much more desirable AVR. But with a reserve price...there is absolutely no reason to "wait and see". Throw a bid on it.

AC2020x

Auditioning
Real Name
AC
question. What would be the benefit of getting one with internet and/or bluetooth. I'm guessing bluetooth speakers (which I don't have). But what else?

Thanks.. I'll have to keep an eye on some of these!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks