6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 ONLINE   atfree

atfree

Supporting Actor

• 956 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted September 17 2013 - 11:47 AM

It's amazing to see how many great, truly classic films were released in 1939,

William A. Wellman's "Beau Geste" is another one that deserves a Blu-Ray release yet I truly doubt we'll ever see it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031088/

• ABaglivi likes this

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#2 of 7 ONLINE   atfree

atfree

Supporting Actor

• 956 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted July 24 2014 - 06:34 AM

Bumping this old thread I started....... any thoughts on whether we'll ever see a release on BD (or even a better-than-what's-out-there DVD)?

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,961 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 07:31 AM

After including it on the Gary Cooper Franchise Collection, Universal released the same transfer as a single DVD as part of its Backlot Collection.  I think the best chance for this to come out would be from Criterion, as it seems to fit with some of the other Universal titles they have released like Ministry of Fear in that it's well regarded but not quite Double Indemnity or Holiday Inn in terms of popularity.  Personally, my favorite Gary Cooper film owned by Universal is Lives of a Bengal Lancer.  That would be my top choice.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   ABaglivi

ABaglivi

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 07:54 AM

I wonder if the cut material in Beau Geste was ever located.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,677 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 10:22 AM

Unlikely anytime soon. Universal-owned Paramount films only drip out on blu-ray annually--2014 has only seen 2 Paramount films released by Universal.  Criterion is a possibility, but that is a serious longshot.  I think it will likely sooner turn up on Region B territories before Region A.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted July 24 2014 - 11:00 AM

I like the 1966 Tech/Scope Beau Geste, but that stands a snowball's chance in hell of making it to BD (or DVD for that matter).

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,961 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 12:34 PM

I wonder if the cut material in Beau Geste was ever located.

What was cut?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users