Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Nashville (Blu-ray Combo)

Criterion BD/DVD Press Release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,284 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 10:46 PM

nashfront.jpg

nashrear.jpg

Nashville (DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD EDITION)This cornerstone of 1970s American moviemaking from Robert Altman (Short Cuts) is a panoramic view of the country’s political and entertainment landscapes, set in the nation’s music capital. Nashville weaves the stories of twenty-four characters—from country star to wannabe to reporter to waitress—into a cinematic tapestry that is equal parts comedy, tragedy, and musical. Many members of the astonishing cast wrote and performed their own songs live on location, which lends another layer to the film’s quirky authenticity. Altman’s ability to get to the heart of American life via its eccentric byways was never put to better use than in this grand, rollicking triumph, which barrels forward to an unforgettable conclusion.
1975 • 160 minutes • Color • 5.1 surround • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
• New 2K digital film restoration, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• Audio commentary featuring director Robert Altman
• New documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with actors Keith Carradine, Michael Murphy, Allan Nicholls, and Lily Tomlin; assistant director Alan Rudolph; and screenwriter Joan Tewkesbury
• Archival interviews with Altman
• Behind-the-scenes footage
• Demos of Carradine singing his songs from the film
• Trailer
• One Blu-ray and two DVDs, with all format available in both editions
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Molly Haskell

TITLE: Nashville (DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD EDITION)  
CAT. NO: CC2321BDDVD
UPC: 7-15515-11161-4
ISBN: 978-1-60465-790-6
SRP: $39.95
PREBOOK: 11/5/13
STREET: 12/3/13

Grey Gardens (BLU-RAY EDITION)
Meet Big and Little Edie Beale: mother and daughter, high-society dropouts, and reclusive cousins of Jackie Onassis. The two manage to thrive together amid the decay and disorder of their East Hampton, New York, mansion, making for an eerily ramshackle echo of the American Camelot. An impossibly intimate portrait, this 1976 documentary by Albert and David Maysles (Salesman), codirected by Ellen Hovde and Muffie Meyer, quickly became a cult classic and established Little Edie as a fashion icon and philosopher queen. This special edition also features the 2006 follow-up to the film, The Beales of Grey Gardens,constructed from hours of extra footage in the filmmakers’ vaults.

1976 • 94 minutes • Color • Monaural • 1.33:1 aspect ratio

BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
• New 2K digital film restoration, approved by codirector Albert Maysles, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
• The Beales of Grey Gardens, the 2006 sequel to the film
• Audio commentary for Grey Gardens, featuring Maysles and codirectors Ellen Hovde and Muffie Meyer, along with associate producer Susan Froemke
• Introduction to The Beales of Grey Gardens by Maysles
• Audio excerpts from a 1976 interview with Little Edie Beale, conducted by Kathryn G. Graham
• Interviews with fashion designers Todd Oldham and John Bartlett on the continuing influence of Grey Gardens
• Behind-the-scenes photographs
• Trailers
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Hilton Als

TITLE: Grey Gardens (BLU-RAY EDITION)  
CAT. NO: CC2332BD
UPC: 7-15515-11221-5
ISBN: 978-1-60465-801-9
SRP: $39.95
PREBOOK: 11/12/13
STREET: 12/10/13

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,135 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 17 2013 - 02:37 AM

To me, a very welcomed release. I saw the film in its original theatrical release thinking it would be more like M*A*S*H. I was extremely disappointed and hated the film. Also sitting in those uncomfortable Haywood-Wakfield GCC chairs for that length of time did not help. When Paramount released it on DVD I decided to give it another chance after seeing Altman's SHORT CUTS and enjoying it. I fell in love with NASHVILLE and try to see at least once a year since. I consider it brilliant and better constructed than SHORT CUTS.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,879 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 17 2013 - 04:18 AM

I do think it is a film that grows on you. I, too, had a near-negative initial reaction, and it took listening to the soundtrack album (which I had won in a contest) and thinking about how the songs worked in connection to the movie that I began to reassess its quality and realized what a masterpiece it actually was.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 17 2013 - 07:23 AM

I saw Nashville twice during its original theatrical release.  I also have the poor quality, blurry DVD, so I'm delighted to see that it's coming out on Blu-ray.  Definite purchase for me.

Edited by Joe Bernardi, September 17 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,296 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 17 2013 - 08:52 AM

I've only seen it once, in the dirty, blurry Paramount DVD, but should probably see it again.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Producer

• 3,160 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 09:01 AM

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]YES!!!!!![/font]

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Jobla

Jobla

Supporting Actor

• 670 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 08:07 PM

I loved NASHVILLE when I saw it as a sneak preview (it was shown right after the regular feature, THE DAY OF THE LOCUST). I still love it now, so this will be a day one purchase for me. It don't worry me.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Kenneth_C

Kenneth_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 248 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 08:41 AM

First saw NASHVILLE on its initial release at the Village Theatre in Westwood.  Here was this film with no main storyline or character, it was not "tight" or "slick" or "artsy" -- and yet it blew me away! In fact, it changed my whole perspective on Film and sparked a desire in me to try and understand this medium & how it worked.

It was as a direct result of seeing NASHVILLE that I began taking courses in Film studies and criticism at college.  Of course, it became the subject of the very first paper I wrote in one of the classes.

Amazingly, for a film that is so much a product of its time (Bicentennial America), it has transcended it and remains incredibly relevant.  The intersection between Politics & Entertainment is even more pronounced today, as is the cynicism with which they are manipulated.  And other aspects of the film -- such as Hal Phillip Walker's candidacy or the ending at the Parthenon -- now seem positively prophetic. 

I've seen NASHVILLE more times than any other film in my life, and am still finding new things in it.  It really is "the damnedest thing you ever saw!"

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,884 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 18 2013 - 08:55 AM

Except for GOSFORD PARK, I was not a fan at all of any of the efforts Altman made to try and repeat his achievement with NASHVILLE. He directed other great films after it, but the large ensemble casts and crisscrossing story lines often culminating in sudden violence was only done to perfection in NASHVILLE. All the other stabs after that, from A WEDDING to HEALTH to SHORT CUTS to PRET A PORTER seemed like pale, formulaic imitations to me.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,284 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 09:15 AM

Now Available for Preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 428 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted September 19 2013 - 08:26 AM

Now if Criterion could just get their hands on MCCABE AND MRS MILLER.... 

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Screenwriter

• 1,029 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted September 19 2013 - 09:12 AM

I love Love LOVE M*A*S*H, but Nashville... I hated it. I've only seen it once, and since it is a blu-ray, and I am upgrading all 500+ best picture nominees to Blu, I must buy it. I will watch it and give it another chance, and once I do, I will report on if I changed my mind about it.

There were two things I did like from the film; one was Jeff Goldblum's character, Tricycle Man, and the campaign van (a character in itself.)

I dislike how Altman used the over-lapping voices ad-nauseum; it worked well in M*A*S*H, but not nessescarily here... I found dialogue hard to hear and confusing.

The songs are indeed amazing, and a highlight olf the film, to be sure.

I haven't seen the film in about two years, so this is purely from memory, and my review.

But i am willing to give it another chance.

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts

Posted April 25 2014 - 07:25 AM

Nashville, fine Blu Ray, superior film. Timeless and way ahead of its time. Has aged really well. BD of the year for me so far.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,135 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 25 2014 - 08:32 AM

I love Love LOVE M*A*S*H, but Nashville... I hated it. I've only seen it once, and since it is a blu-ray, and I am upgrading all 500+ best picture nominees to Blu, I must buy it. I will watch it and give it another chance, and once I do, I will report on if I changed my mind about it.There were two things I did like from the film; one was Jeff Goldblum's character, Tricycle Man, and the campaign van (a character in itself.)I dislike how Altman used the over-lapping voices ad-nauseum; it worked well in M*A*S*H, but not nessescarily here... I found dialogue hard to hear and confusing.The songs are indeed amazing, and a highlight olf the film, to be sure.I haven't seen the film in about two years, so this is purely from memory, and my review.But i am willing to give it another chance.

Have you watched this again? If so what's your thoughts? When I first saw it I really disliked it but gave it another chance years later and grew to admire and enjoy it
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users