What's new

Rumor: Remastered Rocky and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on the way (1 Viewer)

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
According to Fox Germany, the remastered editions of Rocky and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly will be released on blu-ray next year. U.S. editions will likely follow.

9qhvwt3.png

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Figures that the Rocky Collection is being discounted on Amazon.

I bought it the last time it was on sale. Can't say it's an awful transfer
despite the negative reviews I read prior to the purchase.

I am especially happy about THE GOOD, BAD AND THE UGLY. That
has received the most complaints about its transfer compared to the Italian version.

Just hate to keep buying this stuff over and over again because the
studios can't get it right the first time.

Such is life.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Fingers crossed. Just think, next year we could have remastered releases of, The Good The Bad & The Ugly & The Wild bunch, two bona fide western classics.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Walter Kittel said:
Big surprise. I purchased the Gold Box for the Rocky collection earlier today.

All of you waiting for a remaster of Rocky are welcome. :)

- Walter.
Many of us feel your pain as we've been there and done that with other titles over the years.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I would get The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly if it included both the "international version" and restored Italian version. It might be heresy, but I actually prefer the shorter cut (and I think I remember reading somewhere that Leone himself supervised the editing of it, but I'm not sure).

Good that these films are getting some care and attention, anyway!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Wow. 5th time on Good bad ugly (VHS, DVD, blu, blu multipack, ..future remastered I'll surely buy). somebody is reading our thoughts and making devious plans to take our money.

I'd was so close to buying that Rocky set yesterday (to add to my VHS and DVD sets of Rocky... ). Told a fella at work about it. He said "you just got paid...why not?" he was damn right. but I forgot. good thing!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Bryan Tuck said:
I would get The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly if it included both the "international version" and restored Italian version. It might be heresy, but I actually prefer the shorter cut (and I think I remember reading somewhere that Leone himself supervised the editing of it, but I'm not sure).

Good that these films are getting some care and attention, anyway!
I do not care for the extended cut currently out on BD, either. The added scenes with Eastwood and Wallach's dubbed older voices, as well as a Van Cleef soundalike, really take me out of the film and add nothing to the movie, IMO. If the new transfer is the same cut of the film currently available, I will pass and just stick with my current copy.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Ronald Epstein said:

has received the most complaints about its transfer compared to the Italian version.

Such is life.
Robert, I agree. But I have absolutely no regrets about buying the original release of this Blu-ray Disc (TGTBATU).

This is a film I would now only ever watch on my projector, and the DVD is just too poor to do so.

Since the less-than-perfect Blu-ray Disc arrived, an item I bought for under a tenner, I've watched it twice. As such, I think I've probably had my money's worth.

Providing it gets the restoration it deserves, I'll happily double dip.

Steve W

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
GBU should be just the international version + the italian cut, hopefully using the same master as the italian disc, with the differences in a few shots between the versions there via seamless branching. That would be awesome. Rocky, yes, was a very old made for DVD master. I love that film, Stallone was hungry and fantastic in it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Ronald Epstein said:

Such is life.
It's a conspiracy, Ron. They knew you'd buy this title regardless of its drawbacks, and then buy it again when it was remastered. Seriously, I do actually wonder if studios intentionally hold back on their best quality work in order to assure future sales.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Ronald Epstein said:

has received the most complaints about its transfer compared to the
Italian version.

Such is life.
My solution is to stick with the existing release unless the new release is amazingly improved. Case in point: I highly doubt the Rocky remaster is going to look substantially better. I'm happy enough with my existing copy of Rocky, part of the Undisputed Collection that I purchased cheaply a couple of years ago.

In other words, I'm not going to reward studios for this tactic. It's bad enough that we've been rebuying films on new formats every few years. The last thing I want to start doing is rebuying films I already own on Blu-ray.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Koroush,

I am going to stick with my existing copy, but will keep an eye
out for whatever Fox may or may not do with this release in the
future.

I just don't find the current transfer of ROCKY to be that bad.

I think the film, given its time period, has an appropriate look for
its era. Hard to explain other than I think it is supposed to have
a dingy look to it. Not sure what a shined-up affect would do to
the flavor of this movie.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Such is the life of a "buyer and lender"...

Out of the last 100 or so movies I've bought, I probably only have 60 or so in my possession. When I bought Cinema Paradiso(again) I bought both the BD and long DVD. I've probably bought 5 copies of that movie, if not more. Mainly from them disappearing(that is what happens when you have tons of house guests...I'll get movies mailed back to me that I didn't know had been borrowed in the first place).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If they are doing a new film scan of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly i'll buy it, if it's just a remastering job of the current release then i might not because apart from the serious loss of detail issues there are other problems with the current USA/UK edition of that film.

I thought MGM owned the film rights and Fox just distributed them.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I would be very interested if all of Leone Westerns are remastered. Hopefully the other 2 will be done in addition to TGTBTU?

I've held off on picking up Rocky. I would be interested if all of the films are given proper remastering.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I have bought my last THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY and will stick with what I have. I just have to put my foot down so I can buy other titles that have not made their Blu-ray debut. Same with ROCKY.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks