Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Rumor: Remastered Rocky and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on the way

Fox MGM

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#21 of 138 OFFLINE   John-Weller

John-Weller

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 04:44 AM

I've held off G,B&U because i wanted the original English version, without the bad dubbing inserts. Ditto Fantasia, Enter The Dragon, Spartacus...

#22 of 138 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,059 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 07:09 AM

Just hate to keep buying this stuff over and over again because the

studios can't get it right the first time.

Such is life.

Well, the studios could get it right the first time, every time. 

Perhaps what is needed is a team from HTF to examine each film before it is released, and we can tell them whether it's ready. I'm only partially kidding.

#23 of 138 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,212 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 10:43 AM

I've held off G,B&U because i wanted the original English version, without the bad dubbing inserts. Ditto Fantasia, Enter The Dragon, Spartacus...

Yeah you keep dreaming that impossible dream with Fantasia and Spartacus.

#24 of 138 OFFLINE   Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 865 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 06:08 PM

Yeah you keep dreaming that impossible dream with Fantasia and Spartacus.

I have a FANTASIA with as much of Deems Taylor's voice restored as exists on Blu-ray. It gets complicated because the introductions to the soundtrack and Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria are alternate takes in the general release version verses the roadshow. When his voice changes is the indication of material cut after the roadshow. So much of the additional introductions are a waste of time - they would've been better left in some supplement.

#25 of 138 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,623 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 06:37 AM

I have a FANTASIA with as much of Deems Taylor's voice restored as exists on Blu-ray. It gets complicated because the introductions to the soundtrack and Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria are alternate takes in the general release version verses the roadshow. When his voice changes is the indication of material cut after the roadshow. So much of the additional introductions are a waste of time - they would've been better left in some supplement.

I never did upgrade from my laserdisc of Fantasia. It just seemed silly to me to add newly found footage of Deems Taylor and then dub his entire narration.

Getting back on topic, I'd buy a new TGTB&TU if the alleged new version turns out to be like the Patton remaster.

#26 of 138 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,212 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 12:58 PM

Well again they had no choice. The original raw Fantasound tracks for the roadshow cut linking material was lost back in the fifties and isn't coming back anytime soon... That being said, it would have been nice if Disney had found SOMEBODY who sounded like Deems Taylor.

Frankly I prefer the 1947 cut myself since those introductions were painfully long winded originally as the reconstructed cut shows.

Edited by Lord Dalek, September 17 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#27 of 138 OFFLINE   DaveB

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted September 25 2013 - 03:56 PM

A new Rocky transfer correcting the problems with the current release would be most welcome! Mark me down as a definite "will buy." Hope this news is true.

#28 of 138 OFFLINE   Donald Aaron

Donald Aaron

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted December 01 2013 - 10:25 PM

Remastered Rocky listed here @ Sainsburys: link

#29 of 138 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts

Posted December 02 2013 - 08:36 PM

Remastered Rocky listed here @ Sainsburys: link

Thanks for the update. Any news on The Good, The Bad and The Ugly? 

It lists Fox as the distributor. I was hoping for Criterion. 

#30 of 138 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 07:43 PM

Looks like Rocky and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is coming for sure..

Part of MGM's 90th anniversary celebration..

"Additionally, several of MGM's signature films including Rocky, Rain Man, Fargo, RoboCop and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, have been meticulously restored in 4K resolution (four times the clarity of HD) and will be presented on Blu-ray™ for a beautiful, high-definition home viewing experience. These re-releases will be issued through MGM's home entertainment partner, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, and are now available for pre-order on Amazon."

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=13057

I did a quick search on Amazon and I was unable to find the 4K Rocky or The Good, The Bad and The Ugly listed.

#31 of 138 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,684 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 22 2014 - 07:50 PM

I did a quick search on Amazon and I was unable to find the 4K Rocky or The Good, The Bad and The Ugly listed.

I believe that, as of now, the new Rocky disc is only available as part of the box set coming on February 11.

#32 of 138 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 08:09 PM

I believe that, as of now, the new Rocky disc is only available as part of the box set coming on February 11.

Interesting move. All of the other Rocky films will not be remastered in the new set?

#33 of 138 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,684 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 23 2014 - 05:07 AM

Interesting move. All of the other Rocky films will not be remastered in the new set?

I haven't seen it specified but I'd expect the sequels to be the same discs as before.

#34 of 138 ONLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,371 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 01:58 PM

I couldn't find the new TGTBATU listed for pre-order on Amazon either.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#35 of 138 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,470 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 23 2014 - 02:39 PM

There's a UK listing and although you can't pre-order yet, the release date is given as April 14.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#36 of 138 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,554 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 03:02 PM

Any word on whether both cuts of TGTBATU will be included?

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#37 of 138 ONLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,371 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 03:44 PM

I sure hope that both cuts will be on the disc, but I doubt it. That would make too much sense. ;)

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#38 of 138 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,405 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 23 2014 - 03:51 PM

I'm pretty sure MGM considers the shorter cut no longer relevant, similar to Sony's position on the shorter cuts of Lawrence of Arabia.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#39 of 138 OFFLINE   Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 753 posts
  • LocationThe wilds of Pennsylvania

Posted January 23 2014 - 03:57 PM

It looks like it's only being released as The Man With No Name Trilogy in 4K! Gotta buy that box again?! Note to MGM: I'm sending you my original copy of TMWNNT and you are sending me the new remastered 4k set. What are you gonna do with the old version I'm sending? I don't know but I have a suggestion.

#40 of 138 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,554 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 04:10 PM

I'm pretty sure MGM considers the shorter cut no longer relevant, similar to Sony's position on the shorter cuts of Lawrence of Arabia.

At least with Lawrence of Arabia, it is a true, director-approved final version. I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Leone himself supervised the editing of the international version of TGTBATU, so I'm not sure which one he would have preferred.

While I'm glad the restored version exists, I do wish both cuts would be offered, as the shorter one is the version that became a classic.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users