What's new

Need advice (1 Viewer)

shawnMbrown

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
I am sort of in a pinch and need help finding a cheap projector (under $1000 definitely, cheaper better) that can sit on a shelf near the ceiling 18 feet away from a 110" Elite Screen. Any ideas?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Since you have a specific location and screen size your first step should be the projector calulator. This will tell you what specific telephoto range you shoud be looking for. Sadly I dont think, off the top of my head, DLP will give you that kind of throw ratio but I could be wrong. In your budget refurb and used opens up your options even more, you good with that?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You need a projector with lens shift, but the cheapest one that will work is the Epson 8345, and it's more than $1,000.What is the height of the shelf?

shawnMbrown

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
Refurbs are fine... Shelf is 12 inches from ceiling, with a board behind my current projector angle is fine, just too big of a picture... Saw an EPSON 8350 that could do the job.. Panasonic PTAR100U could too.. would love to just put in numbers in calculator and it spit out information as to what I could buy.. but I know part of the fun is the finding. Lens Shift, this is good to know.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Refurbs are fine... Shelf is 12 inches from ceiling, with a board behind my current projector angle is fine, just too big of a picture... Saw an EPSON 8350 that could do the job.. Panasonic PTAR100U could too.. would love to just put in numbers in calculator and it spit out information as to what I could buy.. but I know part of the fun is the finding. Lens Shift, this is good to know.
The 8350 will not work, it is not bright enough with your long throw distance. The AR100U will, but it's more than $1,000. At Projectorcentral.com enter your criteria under "Search By Feature" and it lists which projectors will work with your throw distance and screen size. BUT that list does not take into account if they are bright enough. You have to check each one with the "Calculator Pro".

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I wouldn't recommend either of the two projectors to my worst enemy.

I put in 17 feet and 110(cause is the throw 18 feet...or is the wall 18 feet???)

The only two are the Panny 100 and Epson 3020 used. Neither is a projector I'd own. If they were my only two choices...I'd forget it entirely.

shawnMbrown

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
Ok... Well, why not? I've look at the Panny reviews, mostly good... Definitely debating as to adding a ceiling mate, but that would involve more work.. on a finished ceiling.. Not something I would look forward to and running electric to it might be prohibitive with the way the joists run..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
16fl and 19fl.

Hope either...

1. Your room is pitch black and you are never going to use this before sundown if there are any windows at all.
2. You have a hellish 2.0 gain screen.

shawnMbrown

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
Definition of man cave. complete darkness in basement. Can't see you hand in front of your face with lights off.. have a Epson Home Cinema 700 now that I use outside (outdoor movies, lots of fun), brought in to check and it looks nice on the screen, but way too big.. Thus the lens shift. I appreciate your help on this. Really want a nice picture just don't want to break the bank (can't).

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
What's really limiting you is the long 18' throw distance. Do it right, shorten throw distance, and ceiling mount it. Then you will have many more options.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks