Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

RIP Ray Dolby (1933-2013)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,858 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 13 2013 - 07:02 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...0.html?hpw&_r=0

The founder of Dolby Laboratories is dead at age 80. In recent years, he had been suffering from both Alzheimer's and leukemia.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 906 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted September 13 2013 - 10:02 AM

Wow.  Thanks for posting.  I was actually unfamiliar with him.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,893 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 13 2013 - 10:38 AM

He was a real pioneer. RIP.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,308 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 13 2013 - 03:34 PM

RIP Ray Dolby. Audiophiles, home theater enthusiasts and movie-goers owe him a lot. Let's all remember Ray with a moment of tape hiss, static and random pops. :3dglasses:

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,994 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 07:42 AM

Sad news. RIP Mr. Dolby. We will all, as I'm sure Janine Pettibone in This Is Spinal Tap would agree, remember you fondly when we listen to our favorite music that is mixed in "Doubly". ;)

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 12:34 PM

When I heard that Ray Dolby died, the thing that came immediately to mind is: Will he be included in the Oscars In Memoriam next year? The theater where the Oscars are held was renamed after him, and he did win a technical Oscar in 1990 (I think), but over the past 2 decades, it seems that winning an Oscar is no guarantee that you'll be included in the Oscars In Memoriam when you die. Irwin Kostal and Ralph Burns each won 2 Oscars for their film music...Neither were in the In Memoriams that followed the years of their deaths. Several winners of the Best Short Film Oscar have died, like Claire Wilbur and Lisa Blount, and they weren't mentioned in the In Memoriams when they died. As the examples of Kenneth Utt and, more recently, Martin Richards have shown, not even winning an Oscar for Best Picture is sure to get you in the In Memoriam when you die. I hope Ray Dolby will be mentioned next year.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

As for Richards, he won the Best Picture Oscar for "Chicago", which got a lot of references at the Oscars this year. Strange that the man who got the movie's Best Picture Oscar was not included in this year's In Memoriam. I heard that was actually the idea of Zadan and Meron to exclude him, since they felt they should've gotten the Oscar. Of course, I read that in the New York Post, so take it with a box of salt.

Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 09:14 AM

We are thankful for his legacy everyday we sit to watch a movie, or listen to music. RIP.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,893 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 17 2013 - 12:05 PM

In Memoriam will always be a point of contention. I think they like it that way, 'cause it keeps people talking after the broadcast.

Currently there's a big kerfuffle over the fact that the Emmys plan to include a tribute to the kid from Glee who died. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted September 22 2013 - 07:24 AM

If it wasn't for this man, we'd still be seeing new movies in mono (as opposed to just Woody Allen flicks). RIP Ray.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted September 23 2013 - 08:19 AM

I'm glad the Emmys metioned him during the montage. 

Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 02:42 AM

Ray Dolby's own A-type and SR best sound around made movies sound better for those who like listening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users