What's new

RIP Ray Dolby (1933-2013) (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
RIP Ray Dolby. Audiophiles, home theater enthusiasts and movie-goers owe him a lot. Let's all remember Ray with a moment of tape hiss, static and random pops. :3dglasses:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sad news. RIP Mr. Dolby. We will all, as I'm sure Janine Pettibone in This Is Spinal Tap would agree, remember you fondly when we listen to our favorite music that is mixed in "Doubly". ;)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
When I heard that Ray Dolby died, the thing that came immediately to mind is: Will he be included in the Oscars In Memoriam next year? The theater where the Oscars are held was renamed after him, and he did win a technical Oscar in 1990 (I think), but over the past 2 decades, it seems that winning an Oscar is no guarantee that you'll be included in the Oscars In Memoriam when you die. Irwin Kostal and Ralph Burns each won 2 Oscars for their film music...Neither were in the In Memoriams that followed the years of their deaths. Several winners of the Best Short Film Oscar have died, like Claire Wilbur and Lisa Blount, and they weren't mentioned in the In Memoriams when they died. As the examples of Kenneth Utt and, more recently, Martin Richards have shown, not even winning an Oscar for Best Picture is sure to get you in the In Memoriam when you die. I hope Ray Dolby will be mentioned next year.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

As for Richards, he won the Best Picture Oscar for "Chicago", which got a lot of references at the Oscars this year. Strange that the man who got the movie's Best Picture Oscar was not included in this year's In Memoriam. I heard that was actually the idea of Zadan and Meron to exclude him, since they felt they should've gotten the Oscar. Of course, I read that in the New York Post, so take it with a box of salt.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
In Memoriam will always be a point of contention. I think they like it that way, 'cause it keeps people talking after the broadcast.

Currently there's a big kerfuffle over the fact that the Emmys plan to include a tribute to the kid from Glee who died. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If it wasn't for this man, we'd still be seeing new movies in mono (as opposed to just Woody Allen flicks). RIP Ray.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Ray Dolby's own A-type and SR best sound around made movies sound better for those who like listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks