What's new

Blu-ray Review Iron Man 3 Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Iron Man 3 Blu-ray Review

After a top-heavy, lumbering sequel to its original, tremendously entertaining first film, the third time proves to be the charm in Iron Man 3. Tony Stark returns with snark intact but a great many obstacles to overcome, and the film while a trifle overlong and meandering allows the superhero to show us the brains behind the suit that have made Iron Man one of the favorites of the Marvel dynasty.

Posted Image

Studio: Disney

Distributed By: N/A

Video Resolution and Encode: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1

Audio: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, Spanish 5.1 DD, Other

Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French

Rating: PG-13

Run Time: 2 Hrs. 10 Min.

Package Includes: Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Copy

keep case with slipcover

Disc Type: BD50 (dual layer)

Region: ABC

Release Date: 09/24/2013

MSRP: $44.99

The Production Rating: 4/5

A new villain in the form of terrorist The Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) has begun targeting various sites around the United States, and naturally Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) and his best friend Colonel James Rhodes (Don Cheadle) are called into action. But Stark, who has been constantly experimenting with new prototype Iron Man suits since defeating the aliens who invaded New York, has been having trouble both professionally with his electronics tinckering and personally with anxiety attacks that are preventing sleep and causing a lot of friction with girl friend Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow). When former love interest Dr. Maya Hansen (Rebecca Hall) comes to Tony warning him of a former acquaintance Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) whom Tony had brushed off thirteen years earlier and who now may be in league with the Mandarin, it begins a chain reaction of circumstances where Pepper is kidnapped, Rhodes’ suit is confiscated, and Tony must flee after an attack on his home leaving him with an Iron Man suit practically useless and far from the help he needs to fight his enemies.The best thing about the script by director Shane Black and co-writer Drew Pearce is that it puts Tony for a great portion of the movie relying purely on his wits and on his electronic genius to fashion equipment he can use in the field. Taking us back to the Tony we grew to love in the first film trapped alone and making things from available scrap in order to save himself, it’s the man himself who shows us what he’s made of. And Downey, freed from simply being a voiceover for a CGI replica of his alter ego, gets to act with his whole heart and soul turning in a performance that’s tremendously entertaining and gimmick-free, especially in scenes with pal Rhodes, a young Tennessee boy Harley (Ty Simpkins) whose pluck and determination become role models for the older man, and an adoring electronics geek Gary (Adam Pally), not to mention, of course, encounters with the film’s major antagonists which include not only the Mandarin and Killian but also Killian’s lethal right hand man Eric Savin (James Badge Dale), both of whom are equipped with Killian’s secret weapon, the Extremis. Black takes on this enormous project after quite a few years away from the big blockbuster spotlight, and though the storytelling gets a bit lethargic midway through and the climactic fight goes on a bit longer than it should and doesn’t end in any especially memorable way, all of the film’s action set pieces work beautifully including a spectacular midair rescue of victims of an Air Force One takeover.The script brings Tony Stark/Iron Man pretty much full circle by the end of the film, and Robert Downey, Jr. certainly contributes mightily to the effectiveness of this epic journey through basically four films. He also looks more in shape this go-round and hasn’t lost a verbal step either able to fire off his rejoinders and quips effortlessly. Guy Pearce has retained the impressive physique he sported in Lockout and makes for a formidable, aggressive presence. Ditto for James Badge Dale who doesn’t get to say much but who physically interjects himself skillfully into scenes with the maximum of mayhem. Don Cheadle has been given more to do in this one as Rhodes, but Gwyneth Paltrow’s testy fussing makes for some tedious early scenes before coming into her own later in the movie. Ben Kingsley looks to be having a ball in the double-sided role of the Mandarin, but Jon Favreau in his new job as security chief Happy Hogan spends most of the movie in a coma (even though he’s freed from the director’s chair having helmed the first two franchise entries) and only gets to be the butt of a few jokes at the beginning and end of the film.

Air Force Once Rescue

Malibu Attack

Video Rating: 5/5 3D Rating: NA

The film has been framed at its theatrical aspect ratio of 2.40:1 and is presented in a 1080p transfer using the AVC codec. As with all of the Marvel-based superhero films, the sharpness is exemplary throughout with lots of detail to be seen, and color values are sublime with rich, robust color where appropriate and grayish, darker tones at other moments. Skin tones are believable throughout, and black levels are likewise superb. The film has been divided into 17 chapters.

Audio Rating: 5/5

The DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 sound mix is exactly the kind of immersive, exhilarating experience one would expect from one of these comic superhero extravaganzas. Split effects ricochet around the soundfield during the action sequences, and Brian Tyler’s driving score likewise gets the full surround treatment. Though most of the well-recorded dialogue has been placed in the center channel, there are occasional moments of directionalized dialogue that are most effective.

Special Features Rating: 3/5

Audio Commentary: director/writer Shane Black and co-writer Drew Pearce have an amiable time describing the production cracking jokes and bouncing quips off one another throughout the film’s lengthy running time.Iron Man 3 Unmasked (10:59, HD): an EPK featurette featuring producer Kevin Feige, director Shane Black, the film’s stunt coordinator, head stunt man, production designer Bill Brzeski, visual effects supervisor Dan Sudick, and stars Robert Downey, Jr., Guy Pearce, Gwyneth Paltrow, and James Badge Dale offering sound bites about the film’s production leading up to the premiere.Deconstructing The Scene: Attack On Air Force One (8:43, HD): the film’s producers, the stunt coordinator, and visual effects supervisor discuss the film’s famous aerial sequence showing behind-the-scenes how it was filmed and composited together to make the final shots.Behind-The-Scenes Look – Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World (1:53, HD): a brief behind-the-scenes snippet on the fall’s Thor sequel featuring brief sound bites from its stars and director.Agent Carter (15:29, HD): a follow-up to Captain America showing how Agent Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) accomplishes a successful solo mission putting her at the head of S.H.I.E.L.D.Deleted Scenes (16:20, HD): ten deleted and/or extended scenes and some outtakes which can be played separately or in montage.Gag Reel (5:07, HD)Promo Trailers (HD): Heroes United, Thor: The Dark World, ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and The Lone Ranger.DVD/Digital Copy: included in the package

Overall Rating: 4/5

Iron Man 3 brings the franchise back in fine fashion as an exhilarating and entertaining superhero film. Reference video and audio along with a fair sampling of bonus features (though far fewer than one might expect with a film this popular) make this a recommended package.

Reviewed By: Matt Hough

Support HTF when you buy this title:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Out of curiousity, I checked to see if there's a 3D version of this movie. I see there is and this is a review of the 2D disc. Glad to see Paramount or whoever isn't involved with the audio commentary and it is included on the disc. :)Sorry, I didn't read the whole review as I haven't seen the film yet. But I figured the presentation for video and audio would be all 5's for a movie like this!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Nelson Au said:
Out of curiousity, I checked to see if there's a 3D version of this movie. I see there is and this is a review of the 2D disc. Glad to see Paramount or whoever isn't involved with the audio commentary and it is included on the disc. :) Sorry, I didn't read the whole review as I haven't seen the film yet. But I figured the presentation for video and audio would be all 5's for a movie like this!
Disney has promised to send the 3D release when review copies become available. The 2D was sent as a precursor for the 3D set.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
They took too many liberties with the extremis story for me to enjoy it. I really HATED how they handled the mandarin. How do you do that to one of tony's most formidable foes? As I said Extremis is my favorite ironman story. I thought the motion comic was a better movie than Ironman 3. This will have to hit the super bargain bin before I would pick I up If ever.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
Disney has promised to send the 3D release when review copies become available. The 2D was sent as a precursor for the 3D set.
Personally, I have no interest in the 3D release, so your review was exactly what I was looking for. Very happy to see that the extras are included on the 2D release and not reserved for the (more expensive) 3D release. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
SPOILER ALERT!!!

I have a movie music question that I'm wondering if anyone else has caught

I noticed at multiple points that Brian Tyler's score was echoing aspects of the work of Howard Shore - particularly his scores for "Silence of the Lambs" and "Se7en". But there is one moment where the music actually plays the same moment from another score.

Specifically, the reveal of Bill Sadler in the armor, suspended above the dock. When Rhodes and Stark look up to see him and we get that shot of the man held aloft, the music EXACTLY quotes the score from "Silence of the Lambs" for the moment when the SWAT team finds Charles Napier suspended on the cage. There's just no way this was an accident.

But I can't find any discussion of this with Brian Tyler or with anyone else involved. When I turned on the commentary for that moment, Shane Black and the writer were laughing about Virgin Atlantic and they passed right over it.

I assume that the Shore quotations are along the lines of dealing with serial killers - the idea of Killian's activity being just as depraved as that of Dr. Lecter or of John Doe. Has there been any discussion of this anywhere perchance?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Kevin EK said:
SPOILER ALERT!!!I have a movie music question that I'm wondering if anyone else has caughtI noticed at multiple points that Brian Tyler's score was echoing aspects of the work of Howard Shore - particularly his scores for "Silence of the Lambs" and "Se7en". But there is one moment where the music actually plays the same moment from another score.Specifically, the reveal of Bill Sadler in the armor, suspended above the dock. When Rhodes and Stark look up to see him and we get that shot of the man held aloft, the music EXACTLY quotes the score from "Silence of the Lambs" for the moment when the SWAT team finds Charles Napier suspended on the cage. There's just no way this was an accident.But I can't find any discussion of this with Brian Tyler or with anyone else involved. When I turned on the commentary for that moment, Shane Black and the writer were laughing about Virgin Atlantic and they passed right over it.I assume that the Shore quotations are along the lines of dealing with serial killers - the idea of Killian's activity being just as depraved as that of Dr. Lecter or of John Doe. Has there been any discussion of this anywhere perchance?
I haven't seen it discussed but I saw it as a nice tip of the hat from director Shane Black of the moment from Silence that he asked Brian Tyler to further reference musically (which he does nicely, emerging from that quote in a way that reminds me of his impressive score to the TV Movie, Children of Dune.

(edit - I meant Children of Dune, not Children of Men)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Thanks Neil. I was hoping you'd see the note. Given our mutual interest in this area, I had a feeling you'd catch it too.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Kevin EK said:
Thanks Neil. I was hoping you'd see the note. Given our mutual interest in this area, I had a feeling you'd catch it too.
That moment in Silence of the Lambs is well etched in my memory - in no small part due to Howard Shore's superb scoring. A shame that peice is not on the official soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks