• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted September 12 2013 - 01:47 PM

Groundbreaking sound and recording pioneer Ray Dolby died Thursday at his home in San Francisco at the age of 80, Dolby Laboratories announced in a press release. He had been living with Alzheimer disease and was recently diagnosed with acute leukemia.

Dolby founded Dolby Laboratories in 1965. His work in noise reduction and surround sound led to the development of many state-of-the art technologies in movies, audio equipment and recording studios, for which he received more than 50 U.S. patents.

In the 48 years since Dr. Dolby founded Dolby Laboratories, the company has transformed the entertainment experience from the cinema to the living room to mobile entertainment. Tens of thousands of films and billions of products and devices with Dolby technologies have made their way to theaters, homes and consumers’ hands around the world. The industry has awarded Dolby Laboratories with 10 Academy Awards and 13 Emmy Awards for its groundbreaking achievements throughout the years.

A very sad day.  I've used Dolby products since I was a tween.

Kevin Collins
To View My HD Collection Click Here

#2 of 6 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,744 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 12 2013 - 01:52 PM

You would hope this makes mainstream news.

#3 of 6 zoetmb

zoetmb

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted September 12 2013 - 02:05 PM

I must admit, this news was shocking to me.

Ray always said that when people found out who he was, they would say, "you're the guy with the switch."   But they never really knew what the switch was for.

I remember him saying that he didn't think some of the advances were necessary (I forget whether he was referring to Dolby C or Dolby SR), but that his marketing people wanted these newer versions of Dolby processing.

It was Dolby's version of 70mm 6-track mag sound ("Baby Boom") that got everyone interested in high quality film sound again and while I never thought that Dolby Optical was that great, it certainly was better than what came before because it eliminated the Academy Curve, which started rolling off at 2KHz.  

And Ray Dolby also worked on the team that invented practical video recording at Ampex.     He was definitely a genius and it doesn't seem like there's many like him around anymore.   

The company that he's left us seems to be doing pretty well and Dolby Atmos is pretty exciting (not that he would have had anything to do with its development.)

#4 of 6 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,700 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted September 12 2013 - 06:18 PM

I actually met him briefly at Dolby's S.F. offices sometime in the mid 80's. I was working for some delivery company and was waiting in the front lobby. I was looking at something in an enclosed glass case and a distinguished gentleman came over and gave me a brief but detailed discription of what I was looking at (which went way over my head). Another gentleman entered the room and the receptionist introduced him to "Mr. Dolby". I over-heard Mr. Dolby mention that they were working on putting surround sound with 4 speakers in movie theaters. Again, I didn't really comprehend what he was saying at the time.

I walked away thinking he really didn't have to engage me in a conversation like that. A true gentleman. RIP.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#5 of 6 Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted September 13 2013 - 09:21 AM

I'd say we need to have a moment of silence but that's not really fitting.

JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#6 of 6 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,700 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted September 13 2013 - 01:14 PM

Remember, Dolby's early efforts were spent trying remove hiss from analog tapes. Maybe stick a blank tape in your cassette player ( :D ) and listen to a little "nothing" for a moment or two.

FWIW, I thought Dolby C was a huge improvement over Dolby B.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users