Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

More films in the Harry Potter universe coming..

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,061 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted September 12 2013 - 10:39 AM

http://www.deadline....ed-film-series/

Expanding their longterm, lucrative partnership on the Harry Potter franchise, Warner Bros and author J.K. Rowling are putting a new film series in the works. Rowling will make her screenwriting debut on Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, an original story based on the Hogwarts textbook that appears on a reading list in the first Potter tome, Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone. This is the first in a planned series of films and will feature magical creatures and characters from the Potter mythology, including the textbook’s fictitious author, Newt Scamander. Rowling says it’s not a sequel or a prequel to the Potter adventures, but will kick off in New York, 70 years before Harry’s story starts. No timeline or director has been identified yet. If the films follow the Harry Potter process, they’ll make use of Warner Bros’ Leavesden studios outside London which Warner acquired and revamped after the last Potter film was shot. Warner Bros noted today that the relationship between Rowling and the studio will be managed in London by Neil Blair of Rowling’s literary agency The Blair Partnership, and by Warner UK, Ireland and Spain chief Josh Berger.

Several projects that do not have Harry Potter in them, in different time frames, but deal with that universe.   

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,395 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 12 2013 - 03:15 PM

I'm excited about the Fantastic Beast adaptation, both because JK Rowling is writing it and because it's a period piece. It'll be cool to see the wizarding world in the 1920s.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,108 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted September 13 2013 - 09:36 AM

How many pages do you think Rowling's first draft script will be? 900?

But yeah, considering the complete absence of the United States in the original series, this is about as far from Hogwarts as you can get.

Early twentieth-century New York? I'm picturing a mix of Indiana Jones and Ghostbusters set in the Potterverse. I'm probably way off base, but regardless, sign me up. Weirdly, I find this particular story idea more appealing than the parent-story. No fate or destiny, and plenty of monsters.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 13 2013 - 10:37 AM

Early twentieth-century New York? I'm picturing a mix of Indiana Jones and Ghostbusters set in the Potterverse. I'm probably way off base, but regardless, sign me up. Weirdly, I find this particular story idea more appealing than the parent-story. No fate or destiny, and plenty of monsters.

When you put it that way. . .sign me up, too!

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,734 posts

Posted September 14 2013 - 07:37 PM

Seems like it could be a fun concept, especially with Rowling writing the screenplay.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with this.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 16 2013 - 11:29 AM

On a related note, we just visited the Harry Potter attraction at Universal Orlando. Wow, is it great.

If you have a young Potter-lovin' kid, take him/ her to the real Ollivander's if you get the chance. They won't ever forget it. (However, be prepared to drop $34 on the wand that "chooses" them. ;) )

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,590 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 08:31 PM

On a related note, we just visited the Harry Potter attraction at Universal Orlando. Wow, is it great.

If you have a young Potter-lovin' kid, take him/ her to the real Ollivander's if you get the chance. They won't ever forget it. (However, be prepared to drop $34 on the wand that "chooses" them. ;) )

Or if you get really lucky, the one and only time we did that our son got chosen and got the wand for free.  Plus it is the kind you cannot buy or at least it was that way two years ago when we went.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 17 2013 - 12:09 PM

Nice! I didn't know that they ever gave them out for free. You can definitely buy the one my son got, but they sell a huge variety. I think they used to just sell a wand matching each of the movie characters.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,322 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 17 2013 - 03:04 PM

Two weeks ago, trying to explain my attitudes to a 28 yr old coworker, I said "in 30 years when JK Rowling releases a trio of crappy Harry Potter prequels, your generation will have a collective gasp of 'Oh, Star Wars! We get it!'"

I hope I wasn't prematurely prescient, and not just snarky.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 19 2013 - 10:17 AM

Awesome. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users